TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the last straw for me.

I’ve been a Tivo user since 1999. I’ve dealt with IR blasters, dial up phone lines, third party hardware, and model after model after model of bugs and hardware failures since the Series 1. I’ve learned to set up and support MOCA networks and troubleshoot Tivo hardware at a level nobody should have to put up with.

But today, when my Edge died for the fourth time in two years, I finally said I’ve had enough. I couldn’t take one more tech support call, where I spend 45 minutes on the phone convincing them I really did plug my Tivo into the wall, and I hooked it up to my TV, and I tried rebooting it at least ten times before calling you. And no, it’s not the outlet and it’s not the power supply. It’s the crappy hardware you keep shipping me.

I thought I was going to be one of the last holdouts. But after another failure in just six months, I couldn’t take it any more. I cancelled my annual subscriptions. And then I canceled my Frontier FIOS TV service. I signed up for a free trial of YouTube TV, and if I don’t like that I’ll give Hulu a try. But I won’t be coming back to Tivo. The boxes are all unplugged and stored in a closet where I’ll likely forget they exist until my next spring cleaning.

You have all been very helpful to me over the years in answering my questions and helping me troubleshoot, and for that I say thank you. I will miss you all. But I won’t miss Tivo. And I’m just sad about that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't forget about DirecTV Stream as an option too. It does have a higher average cost per channel but it also has the best HD picture quality and the most traditional cable/TiVo-like user interface. And it also gives you the option of buying their custom Android TV streaming box and full-scale voice remote, which gives you the feel of using a modern cable box with apps as opposed to using a regular streaming device like Roku or Fire TV.
I’ve had a few people mention DirectTV Stream to me based on picture quality. After spending about a week with YouTube TV, I love everything about it except the picture quality. That was definitely better with Tivo/FIOS. So I will probably give DirectTV a try once my YouTube trial is over.

I’m still glad I made the switch. Having an unlimited DVR is pretty awesome. I don’t even think twice about hitting the record button since I have no storage limit to contend with.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have YTTV with Fios Internet and we improved the picture quality to 1080P by clicking on the bottom frame of the picture and quickly picking the HD symbol and going from auto to 1080P that improved the picture on all channels.
Yes, I tried that but it still seems somewhat random. Picture quality watching Better Call Saul last night was dreadful. But watching news shows and even older sitcoms I often get great picture quality.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts