TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I thought I was going to be one of the last holdouts. But after another failure in just six months, I couldn’t take it any more. I cancelled my annual subscriptions. And then I canceled my Frontier FIOS TV service. I signed up for a free trial of YouTube TV, and if I don’t like that I’ll give Hulu a try.
Don't forget about DirecTV Stream as an option too. It does have a higher average cost per channel but it also has the best HD picture quality and the most traditional cable/TiVo-like user interface. And it also gives you the option of buying their custom Android TV streaming box and full-scale voice remote, which gives you the feel of using a modern cable box with apps as opposed to using a regular streaming device like Roku or Fire TV.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Yes, I tried that but it still seems somewhat random. Picture quality watching Better Call Saul last night was dreadful. But watching news shows and even older sitcoms I often get great picture quality.
Honestly, none of the live channel-based "cable TV" services have HD picture quality that can match the various direct-to-consumer (DTC) on-demand services. For instance, I've read that Better Call Saul looks way better on AMC+ than on the live AMC cable channel, regardless of your provider. And heck, CBS is now making some of their primetime shows available in 4K Dolby Vision next-day on Paramount+.

IMO, cable TV is just dying a long slow death, gradually being replaced by the various DTC apps. In a few years, anything airing on cable -- including all sports and live news -- will be available at the same time in one DTC app or another. And of course, there's lots of stuff in those apps that's not and never will be on cable (e.g. Netflix Originals, Amazon Originals, Max Originals, Apple Originals, Disney+ Originals, etc.).

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
That’s what we do now. We are able get the various Apps for the Networks that we watch for not much more than YTTV charges and you get a lot more. I still love my TiVo but I must admit we are using it more as a backup system now for when the Internet is down these days.
Some folks might be surprised to find that virtually all new non-sports/non-news content airing on cable TV can be watched on one direct-to-consumer service or the other either same-day, next-day, or very soon thereafter. (It's hard to pin down how long it takes a new show on any of Discovery's various cable channels to show up on Discovery+, as they seem to be all over the place.)

In terms of scripted cable or broadcast shows, the only noteworthy one that doesn't quickly show up on streaming is Paramount Network's Yellowstone. Takes it a few months before it comes to Peacock. But of course if you can't wait, you can always just purchase an entire season of a cable series like Yellowstone from Apple or Amazon or maybe Google. Apple sells entire seasons of Yellowstone in HD (better quality than on cable) for just $20, ad-free, yours to own, with bonus content too. As soon as a new episode premiers on Paramount Network, you can stream or download that episode from Apple. And just about all broadcast and basic cable shows are available that way. Premium cable (e.g. HBO, Showtime, etc.) shows typically take several months to become available for purchase, though. But then those networks are all available as standalone streaming services anyhow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts