TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,764 Posts
Honestly, none of the live channel-based "cable TV" services have HD picture quality that can match the various direct-to-consumer (DTC) on-demand services. For instance, I've read that Better Call Saul looks way better on AMC+ than on the live AMC cable channel, regardless of your provider. And heck, CBS is now making some of their primetime shows available in 4K Dolby Vision next-day on Paramount+.

AMC/AMC+ is in a different category from the major streaming video players (as you yourself have noted in other fora). I have watched the same BCS episodes back-to-back on AMC (via recording on my TiVo) and streaming on the AMC+ app; while the streaming video was markedly better, it was still not up to snuff compared to HD streams on other services (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, et al).

And heck, CBS is now making some of their primetime shows available in 4K Dolby Vision next-day on Paramount+.
Ditto Showtime/ShowtimeAnytime and Hulu/FX.

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,764 Posts
I still love my TiVo but I must admit we are using it more as a backup system now for when the Internet is down these days.
We seldom watch anything (other than live sporting events recorded for time-shifted viewing so as to skip the commercial breaks) anymore on cable TV. I use my TiVo largely as a secondary means of tracking those streaming shows/movies that I want to add to or have yet to watch on my SVOD services. It's particularly useful for HBO Max, for example, since you can not add an upcoming program to your watch list there until it has dropped. Annoyingly, you CAN add a trailer, but once the program itself drops, the trailer is automatically removed from your queue but it IS NOT replaced with the corresponding program and you are thus left to divine what it is you were waiting to watch (or spot it in the Just Added or For You sections, if shown).:mad:

And just about all broadcast and basic cable shows are available that way. Premium cable (e.g. HBO, Showtime, etc.) shows typically take several months to become available for purchase, though. But then those networks are all available as standalone streaming services anyhow.
Peacock has gone one better with the series "The Office" (which I would qualify as one of the best long-running U.S. TV sitcoms of all time): In addition to providing all nine seasons for VOD streaming (the full 188 episodes, which add up to a total count of 203 on Peacock due to a number of single episodes broken up into two parts), they also provide a separate listing for "The Office: Superfan Episodes" consisting of the original episodes lengthened with additional material that had been cut out of the broadcast program to fit into its allotted time slot. Not just fluff or extra features tacked on to the end or separate from the program, these are scenes and dialogs within the show that provide more content. Often the resulting episode is one-and-a-half to twice the length of the original show and so you can rewatch a familar episode and feel like you are seeing it for the first time or with fresh eyes.

The fifth season of the Superfan version of "The Office" just dropped last week so it is safe to hope that the remaining four seasons will be forthcoming at some point in time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts