TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the last straw for me.

I’ve been a Tivo user since 1999. I’ve dealt with IR blasters, dial up phone lines, third party hardware, and model after model after model of bugs and hardware failures since the Series 1. I’ve learned to set up and support MOCA networks and troubleshoot Tivo hardware at a level nobody should have to put up with.

But today, when my Edge died for the fourth time in two years, I finally said I’ve had enough. I couldn’t take one more tech support call, where I spend 45 minutes on the phone convincing them I really did plug my Tivo into the wall, and I hooked it up to my TV, and I tried rebooting it at least ten times before calling you. And no, it’s not the outlet and it’s not the power supply. It’s the crappy hardware you keep shipping me.

I thought I was going to be one of the last holdouts. But after another failure in just six months, I couldn’t take it any more. I cancelled my annual subscriptions. And then I canceled my Frontier FIOS TV service. I signed up for a free trial of YouTube TV, and if I don’t like that I’ll give Hulu a try. But I won’t be coming back to Tivo. The boxes are all unplugged and stored in a closet where I’ll likely forget they exist until my next spring cleaning.

You have all been very helpful to me over the years in answering my questions and helping me troubleshoot, and for that I say thank you. I will miss you all. But I won’t miss Tivo. And I’m just sad about that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Today was the last straw for me.

I’ve been a Tivo user since 1999. I’ve dealt with IR blasters, dial up phone lines, third party hardware, and model after model after model of bugs and hardware failures since the Series 1. I’ve learned to set up and support MOCA networks and troubleshoot Tivo hardware at a level nobody should have to put up with.

But today, when my Edge died for the fourth time in two years, I finally said I’ve had enough. I couldn’t take one more tech support call, where I spend 45 minutes on the phone convincing them I really did plug my Tivo into the wall, and I hooked it up to my TV, and I tried rebooting it at least ten times before calling you. And no, it’s not the outlet and it’s not the power supply. It’s the crappy hardware you keep shipping me.

I thought I was going to be one of the last holdouts. But after another failure in just six months, I couldn’t take it any more. I cancelled my annual subscriptions. And then I canceled my Frontier FIOS TV service. I signed up for a free trial of YouTube TV, and if I don’t like that I’ll give Hulu a try. But I won’t be coming back to Tivo. The boxes are all unplugged and stored in a closet where I’ll likely forget they exist until my next spring cleaning.

You have all been very helpful to me over the years in answering my questions and helping me troubleshoot, and for that I say thank you. I will miss you all. But I won’t miss Tivo. And I’m just sad about that.
Sad to see another early TiVo adopter give up. I'm like you, an early adopter and have had the same experience along with a large collection of older TiVo DVRs taking up space in my basement. Really like the TiVo GUI so never tried any other DVR. Just had to replace my Bolt+ that had the infamous HD failure so decided to move to the Edge rather than rebuild the Bolt+ since it ran hotter than my toaster oven. Just hoping the Edge holds on long enough to see the demise of the cable card that makes it functional. It's been quite a ride with TiVo DVRs but the end is near. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used YTTV free trial when my tivo bolt was down and over at Weaknees for repair(they are right down the street). I liked it. If you are not a tivo power user keeping dozens of movies and never delete them, you can get along fine with it. It's going to be my "go to" after tivo fails me or the cable companies drop support for the cable cards.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I used YTTV free trial when my tivo bolt was down and over at Weaknees for repair(they are right down the street). I liked it.
Right now I am doing OTA with TiVo (very reliable so far) and using Philo for some cable channels we enjoy… I must say I like Philo also…. The convenience of the cloud DVR service is very nice and their guide is pretty organized….. I think that TiVo is my preferred option (much more polished), but streaming services are not all that bad!

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I thought I was going to be one of the last holdouts. But after another failure in just six months, I couldn’t take it any more. I cancelled my annual subscriptions. And then I canceled my Frontier FIOS TV service. I signed up for a free trial of YouTube TV, and if I don’t like that I’ll give Hulu a try.
Don't forget about DirecTV Stream as an option too. It does have a higher average cost per channel but it also has the best HD picture quality and the most traditional cable/TiVo-like user interface. And it also gives you the option of buying their custom Android TV streaming box and full-scale voice remote, which gives you the feel of using a modern cable box with apps as opposed to using a regular streaming device like Roku or Fire TV.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't forget about DirecTV Stream as an option too. It does have a higher average cost per channel but it also has the best HD picture quality and the most traditional cable/TiVo-like user interface. And it also gives you the option of buying their custom Android TV streaming box and full-scale voice remote, which gives you the feel of using a modern cable box with apps as opposed to using a regular streaming device like Roku or Fire TV.
I’ve had a few people mention DirectTV Stream to me based on picture quality. After spending about a week with YouTube TV, I love everything about it except the picture quality. That was definitely better with Tivo/FIOS. So I will probably give DirectTV a try once my YouTube trial is over.

I’m still glad I made the switch. Having an unlimited DVR is pretty awesome. I don’t even think twice about hitting the record button since I have no storage limit to contend with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I’ve had a few people mention DirectTV Stream to me based on picture quality. After spending about a week with YouTube TV, I love everything about it except the picture quality. That was definitely better with Tivo/FIOS. So I will probably give DirectTV a try once my YouTube trial is over.

I’m still glad I made the switch. Having an unlimited DVR is pretty awesome. I don’t even think twice about hitting the record button since I have no storage limit to contend with.
I have YTTV with Fios Internet and we improved the picture quality to 1080P by clicking on the bottom frame of the picture and quickly picking the HD symbol and going from auto to 1080P that improved the picture on all channels.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have YTTV with Fios Internet and we improved the picture quality to 1080P by clicking on the bottom frame of the picture and quickly picking the HD symbol and going from auto to 1080P that improved the picture on all channels.
Yes, I tried that but it still seems somewhat random. Picture quality watching Better Call Saul last night was dreadful. But watching news shows and even older sitcoms I often get great picture quality.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Yes, I tried that but it still seems somewhat random. Picture quality watching Better Call Saul last night was dreadful. But watching news shows and even older sitcoms I often get great picture quality.
Honestly, none of the live channel-based "cable TV" services have HD picture quality that can match the various direct-to-consumer (DTC) on-demand services. For instance, I've read that Better Call Saul looks way better on AMC+ than on the live AMC cable channel, regardless of your provider. And heck, CBS is now making some of their primetime shows available in 4K Dolby Vision next-day on Paramount+.

IMO, cable TV is just dying a long slow death, gradually being replaced by the various DTC apps. In a few years, anything airing on cable -- including all sports and live news -- will be available at the same time in one DTC app or another. And of course, there's lots of stuff in those apps that's not and never will be on cable (e.g. Netflix Originals, Amazon Originals, Max Originals, Apple Originals, Disney+ Originals, etc.).

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,763 Posts
Honestly, none of the live channel-based "cable TV" services have HD picture quality that can match the various direct-to-consumer (DTC) on-demand services. For instance, I've read that Better Call Saul looks way better on AMC+ than on the live AMC cable channel, regardless of your provider. And heck, CBS is now making some of their primetime shows available in 4K Dolby Vision next-day on Paramount+.

AMC/AMC+ is in a different category from the major streaming video players (as you yourself have noted in other fora). I have watched the same BCS episodes back-to-back on AMC (via recording on my TiVo) and streaming on the AMC+ app; while the streaming video was markedly better, it was still not up to snuff compared to HD streams on other services (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, et al).

And heck, CBS is now making some of their primetime shows available in 4K Dolby Vision next-day on Paramount+.
Ditto Showtime/ShowtimeAnytime and Hulu/FX.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sad to see another early TiVo adopter give up. I'm like you, an early adopter and have had the same experience along with a large collection of older TiVo DVRs taking up space in my basement. Really like the TiVo GUI so never tried any other DVR. Just had to replace my Bolt+ that had the infamous HD failure so decided to move to the Edge rather than rebuild the Bolt+ since it ran hotter than my toaster oven. Just hoping the Edge holds on long enough to see the demise of the cable card that makes it functional. It's been quite a ride with TiVo DVRs but the end is near. Good luck to you.
Well I hate to hear you guy's are giving up but I understand. I gave up on Layer3TV then TVision and now they are gone. I have an Edge and a mini remote that knock on wood has not had any issues. After 20 years of Direct TV, 3 yrs on TVision & now Spectrum/TiVo for a couple of years The TiVo is the best DVR I have used. Now the quality of the QPSK via Spectrum is not too swift. My wife lives by the TiVo DVR. I like Quality but she win's. I dread the day we may have to make a change to streaming & Cloud based DVR's
Oh well!
Johnny S.

·
Under Maintenance
26,701 Posts

IMO, cable TV is just dying a long slow death, gradually being replaced by the various DTC apps. In a few years, anything airing on cable -- including all sports and live news -- will be available at the same time in one DTC app or another. And of course, there's lots of stuff in those apps that's not and never will be on cable (e.g. Netflix Originals, Amazon Originals, Max Originals, Apple Originals, Disney+ Originals, etc.).
That’s what we do now. We are able get the various Apps for the Networks that we watch for not much more than YTTV charges and you get a lot more. I still love my TiVo but I must admit we are using it more as a backup system now for when the Internet is down these days.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
We kept our Tivo for a year after switching and never used it once. In fact my wife now lives in YouTube more than conventional TV. She has dozens and dozens of streaming subscriptions for her special interests whether it be Keto, hairstyles, makeup, ...

She never got that with regular TV. As far as regular entertainment its 95% premium streaming services.

I would have to summarize by saying "Tivo Held Us Back".

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
That’s what we do now. We are able get the various Apps for the Networks that we watch for not much more than YTTV charges and you get a lot more. I still love my TiVo but I must admit we are using it more as a backup system now for when the Internet is down these days.
Some folks might be surprised to find that virtually all new non-sports/non-news content airing on cable TV can be watched on one direct-to-consumer service or the other either same-day, next-day, or very soon thereafter. (It's hard to pin down how long it takes a new show on any of Discovery's various cable channels to show up on Discovery+, as they seem to be all over the place.)

In terms of scripted cable or broadcast shows, the only noteworthy one that doesn't quickly show up on streaming is Paramount Network's Yellowstone. Takes it a few months before it comes to Peacock. But of course if you can't wait, you can always just purchase an entire season of a cable series like Yellowstone from Apple or Amazon or maybe Google. Apple sells entire seasons of Yellowstone in HD (better quality than on cable) for just $20, ad-free, yours to own, with bonus content too. As soon as a new episode premiers on Paramount Network, you can stream or download that episode from Apple. And just about all broadcast and basic cable shows are available that way. Premium cable (e.g. HBO, Showtime, etc.) shows typically take several months to become available for purchase, though. But then those networks are all available as standalone streaming services anyhow.

·
U.S. Army (ret.)
1,763 Posts
I still love my TiVo but I must admit we are using it more as a backup system now for when the Internet is down these days.
We seldom watch anything (other than live sporting events recorded for time-shifted viewing so as to skip the commercial breaks) anymore on cable TV. I use my TiVo largely as a secondary means of tracking those streaming shows/movies that I want to add to or have yet to watch on my SVOD services. It's particularly useful for HBO Max, for example, since you can not add an upcoming program to your watch list there until it has dropped. Annoyingly, you CAN add a trailer, but once the program itself drops, the trailer is automatically removed from your queue but it IS NOT replaced with the corresponding program and you are thus left to divine what it is you were waiting to watch (or spot it in the Just Added or For You sections, if shown).:mad:

And just about all broadcast and basic cable shows are available that way. Premium cable (e.g. HBO, Showtime, etc.) shows typically take several months to become available for purchase, though. But then those networks are all available as standalone streaming services anyhow.
Peacock has gone one better with the series "The Office" (which I would qualify as one of the best long-running U.S. TV sitcoms of all time): In addition to providing all nine seasons for VOD streaming (the full 188 episodes, which add up to a total count of 203 on Peacock due to a number of single episodes broken up into two parts), they also provide a separate listing for "The Office: Superfan Episodes" consisting of the original episodes lengthened with additional material that had been cut out of the broadcast program to fit into its allotted time slot. Not just fluff or extra features tacked on to the end or separate from the program, these are scenes and dialogs within the show that provide more content. Often the resulting episode is one-and-a-half to twice the length of the original show and so you can rewatch a familar episode and feel like you are seeing it for the first time or with fresh eyes.

The fifth season of the Superfan version of "The Office" just dropped last week so it is safe to hope that the remaining four seasons will be forthcoming at some point in time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts