TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First two episodes aired and I really like it. It keeps to the spirit (pun intended) of the UK original but Americanized in a good way with its timing and delivery. Some of the ghost characters were tweaked since they obviously need to be adapted from the English countryside to upstate NY.

I don't know of any other CBS sitcoms that don't have a laugh track, which I don't really mind but that alone gives this a different feel for me from other comedies I watch on the network. It feels more like something I'd see on NBC or Paramount+.

Rose McIver gives off an Amy Adams vibe which I really like. And the guy playing her husband I think I like better than the one in the UK original.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
First two episodes aired and I really like it. It keeps to the spirit (pun intended) of the UK original but Americanized in a good way with its timing and delivery. Some of the ghost characters were tweaked since they obviously need to be adapted from the English countryside to upstate NY.

I don't know of any other CBS sitcoms that don't have a laugh track, which I don't really mind but that alone gives this a different feel for me from other comedies I watch on the network. It feels more like something I'd see on NBC or Paramount+.

Rose McIver gives off an Amy Adams vibe which I really like. And the guy playing her husband I think I like better than the one in the UK original.
Great to hear there's no laugh track! I will try it (assuming there's also no live audience who laugh uproariously at every line). Never saw the UK version but this seems like it has potential.

Young Sheldon doesn't have them either, BTW.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
I liked it a lot. Went back to watch first British episode and decided I liked the American better probably because the ghosts were more varied.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,104 Posts
I was fully expecting it to be sort of dumb but I thought it was pretty fun actually. I will keep watching for now.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Just watched the pilot. Looks like it might work out ok. Interested to see what the husband thinks of her ‘sightings’ after the fall, or if she will decide to keep it from him (otherwise to be thought as crazy).
The lack of a laugh track is a +
Why is that one ghost not wearing pants?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I liked it. All sorts of different styles of humor from ghosts that lived in different time periods.

I don't care for the living people but the girl is pretty to look at. The man is a lot like me. He hates change and doesn't know how to fix things.

I do hope we see more from the "downstairs" ghosts.

I only saw one episode and don't know why. I knew it was going to be an hour and distinctly remember setting up an hour-long manual recording. What I got was "United States of Al", but the recording only showed the end of that show. I have no idea why. And while I have one passes for several shows I have watched now, I don't have one for this show so I had to set up another manual recording for next week. CBS is really good about reruns so I'll have that to look forward to.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
We liked it a lot. So much different than the normal network comedy- that alone makes it worth watching. I do wonder how the concept can hold up long term (seems like it would have made a good movie), but I guess it should be able to since it is based off of the British version which has 3 seasons.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,104 Posts
Just watched the pilot. Looks like it might work out ok. Interested to see what the husband thinks of her 'sightings' after the fall, or if she will decide to keep it from him (otherwise to be thought as crazy).
The lack of a laugh track is a +
Why is that one ghost not wearing pants?
Well, the second episode answers some of your questions about Jay (husband) (ep 01 and ep 02 were shown back to back).

As for Trevor (Wall St. bro) not having pants, that's presumably what he was (not) wearing when he died. Although this doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule: for example it's quite unlikely that Isaac was dressed in full colonial outfit when he died of consumption. I don't think we've heard Trevor's "death story" yet so we don't know for sure but there are a lot of possibilities.

Reactions: Tony_T

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
A bit off topic, but a “no laugh track” comedy is a breath of fresh air. Never watched a full episode of 2 Broke Girls, but I have caught it a few times in reruns when flipping channels, and that show has the most obnoxious laugh track I’ve ever heard (both in volume and in its constant use)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I liked it.

I know it's from a British series, but the formula looks a little like Bewitched.

They might as well have named the husband Darrin.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I could be wrong about this, but I think of the multi-camera sitcom with an audience or "laugh track" as the exception rather than the rule now adays. No doubt someone has the actual breakdown somewhere.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,247 Posts
As for Trevor (Wall St. bro) not having pants, that's presumably what he was (not) wearing when he died.
This is taken directly from the British version, where the trouser-less ghost was a Tory MP.

In one episode of the original, one of the ghosts, who had died carrying a letter in his pocket, no longer feels the need of it, and tries putting the ghostly version down on a table. It disappears, but then reappears in his pocket, repeatedly. So we see that the ghosts are unable to alter their "costumes" -- hence the lack of pants, as well as the arrow still through the neck, etc.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
A bit off topic, but a "no laugh track" comedy is a breath of fresh air. Never watched a full episode of 2 Broke Girls, but I have caught it a few times in reruns when flipping channels, and that show has the most obnoxious laugh track I've ever heard (both in volume and in its constant use)
Couldn't agree more. I won't even try a show that has one anymore. And I am using laugh track interchangeably with a live audience who are probably prompted to laugh uproariously when the show wants them to.

I liked this show after the 2 episodes and especially enjoyed the downstairs gang. Nice throwback to Ghost (the movie) with the pantless guy trying to move objects and eventually typing.

·
Unemployed and loving it !!
4,795 Posts
Just watched the first two episodes of Ghosts on Paramount+.

Good show. Look forward to more.

I think I'll try the BBC version of Ghosts via HBO Max.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Having watched the Brit version for 3 years now. This version was like nails on a chalk board bad. The Brit version is done by a group of comic actors that work together. Sort of like Monty Python.
None of the US actors had ANY comic sense an the said their lines as if reading from a cue card. So the lines that are really funny taken from the OG version fall flat on the US version.

1 - 20 of 270 Posts