TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Neurostim Addict
2,894 Posts
rgr said:
Thanks for the response. I have some followup questions:

On recording with the TiVo, if I have the 6412 going to the TiVo, then to the TV, would I not have the option of recording all non-HD on the TiVo, leaving the HD for recording on the 6412?
You should, yes.

When you say that "TiVo and standard def TV aren't going to look as good." - do you mean as good as on a conventional (non-HD) tv? I know not to expect them to look as good as the HD signal, but with digital cable I'd not expect them to look worse than on my current 4:3 tv.
Digital cable is of lesser video quality than analog signal.

Also, your new TV is larger and has more resolution than your old TV, and this will tend to magnify defects in the picture. This includes defects caused by tivo's (and digital cable's, for that matter) MPEG compression.

·
Neurostim Addict
2,894 Posts
DickK said:
Huh? :confused: Not on my cable service and I can't think of any reason this should be true if the cable company is doing its job correctly.
Why do you think that "digital" always has to be better than "analog?" Because it's newer?

Digital cable is MPEG compressed. MPEG compression is lossy and necessarily reduces the picture quality (e.g., TiVo). The purpose of digital cable is not to improve your picture (in fact, it degrades it) but to allow cable companies to send more channels using the same bandwidth.

Notice that in those annoying DTV commercials, they get all excited about "digital quality," but carefully refrain from actually comparing it to analog. There's a reason for that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.