1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
9,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
I
2,481 Posts
Thats great and all....but with the dual tuners out, who the heck is still buying these single tuner units? Also with the all digital switch looming in 2009, I'd be hesitant to buy either a single tuner or dual tuner S2 right now.

·
Un-Registered User
9,750 Posts
No thanks. I dont want to pay two services for two single tuner TiVos while there's a single service for DT TiVo.

·
L: 37-35
12,996 Posts
BlackBetty said:
Thats great and all....but with the dual tuners out, who the heck is still buying these single tuner units? Also with the all digital switch looming in 2009, I'd be hesitant to buy either a single tuner or dual tuner S2 right now.
Howso? I don't see how the 2009 change affects the user unless they are OTA only.

jtlytle said:
No thanks. I dont want to pay two services for two single tuner TiVos while there's a single service for DT TiVo.
kmill14 said:
I bet some people who have never owned a tivo box would be fine with a single tuner as a starter box.
And there are some people who cannot take advantage of the second tuner anyway (all digital cable/satellite, etc).

I wonder if these single-tuner units still have the ability to tune NTSC, or is it disabled now like it is in the S2DTs? If not disabled then that is also one potential advantage to these units (though only through the cut-off)

·
Go Pats
46,436 Posts
If you have a few S2's on a month-to-month now on MSD

could you get one of these for free, get a 3 year msd contract

cancel the contract on the month-to-month s2 you already have

move the contract from the free s2 to your current s2 and essentially get a free s2 80 hour for nothing but extending the contract?

NO idea why you would do this though :D

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Well there have been many deals on single tuner Series 2 TiVos over the last few years where they have been free. Both of the onces I own were free after rebates including delivery.

That said I paid $71 for a new one off ebay a few weeks back just to have around in case something happens to mine. I am like that - also have spare drives all setup for all my DVRs including the dish 510.

Thanks,

·
I'm back!
34,357 Posts
If the cablecos go all-digital a single tuner model will be as useful as a S2DT anyway, since the DT models can only control one cable box.

·
Go Pats!
9,582 Posts
SullyND said:
Howso? I don't see how the 2009 change affects the user unless they are OTA only.
Well, as said above, the cable companies could choose to convert to all digital and not offer the analog signal along the cable line. For someone like myself who just pays for the basic service from Comcast for $10/mo, I would be bummed.

But that didn't stop me from getting a DT not long ago and enjoying now while I can until I have to worry about whatever happens. Thankfully, the HD came out at $299. By Feb 2009, I bet that price is lower.

·
L: 37-35
12,996 Posts
jlb said:
Well, as said above, the cable companies could choose to convert to all digital and not offer the analog signal along the cable line. For someone like myself who just pays for the basic service from Comcast for $10/mo, I would be bummed.
The quote I was responding to was:

"Thats great and all....but with the dual tuners out, who the heck is still buying these single tuner units? Also with the all digital switch looming in 2009, I'd be hesitant to buy either a single tuner or dual tuner S2 right now."

Sure, you'd be bummed, but unlike your DT, the only difference a single tuner user would see should that happen is the need to use an STB (assuming they aren't already). If your Comcast goes all digital, not only would you need an STB, but you'd lose the use of one of your tuners.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
SullyND said:
It doesn't. Some people just can't give up the notion that "everything will be digital and analog only boxes will not work anymore"

I wonder if these single-tuner units still have the ability to tune NTSC, or is it disabled now like it is in the S2DTs? If not disabled then that is also one potential advantage to these units (though only through the cut-off)
My understanding is, by now, all analog tuner only boxes leaving Tivo's fulfillment warehouse are of the sort that cannot tune OTA with the built in tuner. These single tuners are essentially 540s reprogrammed with a 542 TSN.

·
Dr_Diablo
916 Posts
kmill14 said:
I bet some people who have never owned a tivo box would be fine with a single tuner as a starter box.
Yes, as an entry level First Tyme purchase of a Tivo, this would be a good deal for those strapped 4 cash

·
bUU
10,671 Posts
This does go to show, though, that my older Humax single-tuner box is indeed a paperweight. I'm glad I can make use of the remote control -- that's worth more than the TiVo itself! :)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
bicker said:
This does go to show, though, that my older Humax single-tuner box is indeed a paperweight. I'm glad I can make use of the remote control -- that's worth more than the TiVo itself! :)
I only see Phil, Pio, Caster and Vito. Doesn't the Humax even have a name?

·
Advanced TiVoOligan
1,446 Posts
If they lived in a bubble? Cable has been pushing Dual Tuners for years, so the more savvy techie consumers will probably buy TiVo DT or HD, and the general consumer will take the path of least resistance through their cable provider with NO CONTRACT!

·
Level 2 Tivo Fairy
22 Posts
Please forgive me for this naive question, but...can someone spell out for me what exactly is at stake with the 2009 discontinuation of analog? More specifically, as a single-tuner series 2 DVR owner, why does this affect me at all? I'm not getting my channels OTA...so...what else is really affected? I'm sure this has been answered ad nauseum, so sorry about that.

If you like indulging earnest (but less inclined to thoroughly combing the forums folks) fools like me, here's another question:

A dual-tuner S2 TiVo can only record to analog channels at once, or one digital and one analog--according to Amazon.com. What does that mean? I am dimly jumping to the conclusion that somehow the "basic" cable coming into my house is analog...then it goes through the box and is digital? Does that make sense? How does the Series 2 TiVo DVR record two channels at once, anyway? And why did the guy at Bob's Discount Stereo tell me that my cable company's talk of "digital" was just a gimmick anyway, and that oftentimes it was worse service?

For anyone who cares to indulge me, thanks!

-George

·
Advanced TiVoOligan
1,446 Posts
Analog is 1-99. Digital is 100 and above.

Series 1 and 2 record one channel and you can watch either a recorded show or watch an analog channel. When you watch a live channel, there is no buffer, so you cannot pause that channel.

A Series 2 Dual Tuner can record or buffer two channels at the same time -- 2 analog or 1 analog and 1 digital, never 2 digital. This is done by hooking up two lines -- one to the digital cable box, and the other to the TiVo.

A cable DVR can record and buffer 2 digital channels at the same time in addition to what TiVo does. It doesn't have the depth or breadth of search, wishlists, seasons passes etc. that we know and love in TiVo.

As for the complexity of analog versus digital signals (and the magical cable boxes ;) ) and high definition -- someone else will need to explain this.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts