TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 109 Posts

· Registered
4,028 Posts
While I like Frazier I wish the networks would develop new shows not reboot old ones. There has to be original ideas out there somewhere.
It might be tough to quantify, but it would be interesting to break TV shows into categories (original idea, rehash/reboot, sourced from book). I'd bet quite a few cable and Netflix dramas are sourced from books.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,411 Posts
I never really watched the original. I've seen a few bits here and there on syndication, like when it's on at the Doctors office or something, but never actually watched the show.
Try watching an episode, earlier in the run the better. If you like that type of sitcom--dry wry humor, witty, clever writing, character development rather than cheap jokes--then it may be for you. Like all sitcoms, it may take a couple to get familiar with the characters.

If you do decide to watch it, do it in order. They really do have story arcs that run for seasons.

· Craps Player
4,005 Posts
I was a Cheers fan (I don't think that show has aged well at all) and I didn't initially watch Fraser because I didn't find the character all that funny on Cheers. My mom convinced me to give it a shot during the first season and she was right, funny show. I occasionally catch a rerun and it's still funny.

· Registered
25,610 Posts
I was always a Frazier fan but I'm not on board with them reprising all these old sitcoms
With that said, I think a lot of this will depend on how well Murphy Brown does.
I do think they're overdoing it, though (hypocritically?) I am looking forward to Murphy Brown.

I DO think that the modern version is doing a LOT better than the "reunion movie" formula (which started in the 80s??), most of which are terrible... but definitely got me to watch, I think sometimes even when I wasn't a great fan of the orig show (but I can't think of any specific examples)..

in other words, the "modern" versions are "move the characters forward X years" (even if I think sometimes it's less than the real # of years), and then just "do normal episodes".

· Registered
1,630 Posts
A lot will depend on the writers, there are a number of ways to go. Radio has changed, could you imagine the call ins a national talk radio show Frazier would get ? How about dropping him in a city with a lousy opera company and no real coffee houses. Or have him do radio and private practice, or day time television. Drop him in L.A., he'd love and hate it. :)

· Registered
1,904 Posts
Frederick would be in the his early 30s now, so they could basically re-do the Frasier premise but with Frasier being the dad who needs help from his son. Although, I bet it's more likely that they do it with Frederick being the one who moves in with his dad like a damned lazy Millennial who doesn't even watch network tv.

· Now with more GB
Record Them If You Got Them, And You Got Them So Record Them
3,474 Posts
I liked trying to figure out the callers voice.
They had over 100 celibrites over the years.
IIRC, the only season where the closing credits of the finale doesn't list them is Season 5, where the station changed its format and the show ended with a Mariachi version of the theme

· Registered
3,610 Posts
I was a huge fan back then. Even named my unix box at work "frasier". Not sure if call it the greatest ever, maybe not even top five (is it better than Cheers, Arrested Development, Seinfeld, Larry Sanders, Soap, Curb Your Enthusiasm)? I think it's in the same ballpark as Newhart.

Speaking of which, how about Frasier retited and buys a B&B in Vermont. Niles moves his practice (lots of new clients because everyone in northern New England is crazy in one way or another). Larry, Darryl and Darryl will be regulars.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,057 Posts
A lot will depend on the writers, there are a number of ways to go. Radio has changed, could you imagine the call ins a national talk radio show Frazier would get ? How about dropping him in a city with a lousy opera company and no real coffee houses. Or have him do radio and private practice, or day time television. Drop him in L.A., he'd love and hate it. :)
They could have Frasier now doing a successful podcast. That would make it more current.

21 - 40 of 109 Posts