TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,411 Posts
Mixed feelings. I *loved* Frasier, and occasionally still watch it late at night when I'm flipping. By far (IMHO), the best written & acted sitcom of the last 25 years.

But... it's very hard to catch lightning twice. There were so many amazing parts to the recipe, and that's why it's still the most Emmy winning sitcom ever. There was the family interplay between Frasier, Niles & their dad (RIP). The decade-long undercurrent of Niles towards Daphne. The work setting, with Frasier playing off Roz, and all the characters from the station. And all the guest stars, who played love interests, work interests and general cameos.

And Eddie. Eddie made the show.

I just don't know if that can be duplicated. As I understand, they are looking to carry it forward with Grammer as Frasier, but no other original cast. Not sure how I feel about that.

If it was me, I'd let it rest in peace, as the greatest sitcom ever. Or perhaps tied with Seinfeld, although they are really different types of series.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,411 Posts
I never really watched the original. I've seen a few bits here and there on syndication, like when it's on at the Doctors office or something, but never actually watched the show.
Try watching an episode, earlier in the run the better. If you like that type of sitcom--dry wry humor, witty, clever writing, character development rather than cheap jokes--then it may be for you. Like all sitcoms, it may take a couple to get familiar with the characters.

If you do decide to watch it, do it in order. They really do have story arcs that run for seasons.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,411 Posts
Kelsey Grammar says Frasier reboot is ready to go...

Kelsey Grammer confirms Frasier reboot is coming in Summer 2020

Kelsey Grammer has teased that the reboot of 90's sitcom hit Frasier is "ready to go," and could air as early as next summer.

Revealing that he was "in the midst" of talks with potential networks, he said: "We've got it hatched, We've hatched the plan, what we think is the right way to go

"We're sort of on standby a little bit, working on a couple of possible network deals that we're circling, and Frasier is sort of in a second position to that. But a revisit to Frasier, Frasier's world, is I think definitely gonna come."

The original Emmy-winning series followed psychiatrist Dr Frasier Crane, who starts a radio advice show in Seattle. Speaking about the reboot, Grammer revealed on In Depth with Graham Bensinger that the new series will be a departure from what viewers were familiar with.
Sounds like it may be "ready to go", but it's still not a sure thing if it's "in a second position" to something else.

I still have my doubts. This show was lightning bottled--cast, writing, even when it aired. Just having trouble seeing it strike twice.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,411 Posts
Oh wow, me too then! :) But I guess I have you beat, as I also have watched The Resident since it began last year. It's a medical/hospital show in S02 and Ms Leeves plays a doctor.
A quick wiki shows she just started this season (S2), and there have been seven eps so far, so I'll nudge your count up to 392.

But who's counting? :p

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,411 Posts
My guess this will rival the revival of Murphy Brown as a big dud, but I'll watch just to see.
It's hard to predict. I always thought Frasier was a top ten all-time TV show, whereas MB was just ok. And like you (and I'm sure millions more), I'll watch just to see, if it happens.

But Frasier was a product of its times, and the times they are a changin'.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,411 Posts
'Frasier' Reboot Confirmed For Paramount+ With Kelsey Grammer Returning - Deadline

Dr. Frasier Crane is officially coming back.

Kelsey Grammer is confirmed to reprise his role as the Seattle psychiatrist turned radio host in a reboot of long-running comedy Frasier for Paramount+.

The revival is being announced by Julie McNamara at ViacomCBS' launch of the streaming service.

The new incarnation of Frasier comes from writers Chris Harris (How I Met Your Mother) and Joe Cristalli (Life In Pieces), who will exec produce with Grammer, Tom Russo and Jordan McMahon. The series will be produced by CBS Studios in association with Grammnet Productions.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,411 Posts
Seems to me CBS/Viacom is coming close to throwing CBS under the bus. More and more of their new shows are coming to Paramount+, and not CBS. I still see NBC & ABC bringing a fair number of new shows to their broadcast networks, even though both have a streaming service (Peacock & Disney+). But CBS has had very few new shows, and almost every announcement of a new CBS show I see lately has it coming to P+. Frasier is now another one.

I loved Frasier, but am extremely unlikely to subscribe to P+ for one show. I have plenty of other new content from my other streamers.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,411 Posts

The long-in-the-works Frasier followup is finally a reality. Paramount+ has given a series greenlight to the multi-camera comedy, executive produced by Kelsey Grammer who is reprising his signature character, psychiatrist-turned-radio host Frasier Crane.

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,411 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts