TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Craps Player
4,000 Posts
Big time! His characterization of Niles Crane was brilliant. Niles was my favorite character of the show.
Absolutely. The back and forth between the 2 was great. Obviously John Mahoney is gone and I wouldn't care of Jane Leeves and Peri Gilpin don't reprise. But give me some DHP please.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
19,357 Posts
Mixed feelings. I *loved* Frasier, and occasionally still watch it late at night when I'm flipping. By far (IMHO), the best written & acted sitcom of the last 25 years.

But... it's very hard to catch lightning twice. There were so many amazing parts to the recipe, and that's why it's still the most Emmy winning sitcom ever. There was the family interplay between Frasier, Niles & their dad (RIP). The decade-long undercurrent of Niles towards Daphne. The work setting, with Frasier playing off Roz, and all the characters from the station. And all the guest stars, who played love interests, work interests and general cameos.

And Eddie. Eddie made the show.

I just don't know if that can be duplicated. As I understand, they are looking to carry it forward with Grammer as Frasier, but no other original cast. Not sure how I feel about that.

If it was me, I'd let it rest in peace, as the greatest sitcom ever. Or perhaps tied with Seinfeld, although they are really different types of series.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,833 Posts
I was always a Frazier fan but I'm not on board with them reprising all these old sitcoms (I'm not a fan of them redoing old movies either). I think though with this happening with a few old shows now, I think that the power of the Baby Boomers as a viable market for advertisers is being realized. Especially for traditional networks (but we've seen a few of these on Netflix too). Are they just finding that boomers have a lot of disposable income and are NOT the same as previous generations, set in their ways, brand loyalty and all that.

With that said, I think a lot of this will depend on how well Murphy Brown does.

·
Now with more GB
Record Them If You Got Them, And You Got Them So Record Them
3,467 Posts
I don't think "Eddie" is available ;)
Nope - Moose (the dog that played Eddie) died in 2006.

This could work; it depends on how they play it. If they keep the same characters but use different actors, then the minute they appear, everyone watching will say, "That's not Niles; that's not Daphne, this isn't Frasier," and turn it off. (I have a feeling a test audience would have this reaction, and it wouldn't get past the pilot.) OTOH, if it's Frasier Crane and a completely new set of characters (with some of the originals making cameos), then it smacks of The New WKRP in Cincinnatl.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would love to see this reprise. I've watched the entire series so many times on Netflix. There was a lot of humor that made fun of homosexuality (last episode of season 1 is just one example). I'm not sure that would fly today. Frasier and Niles were both characterized like Modern Family's Cam and Mitchell without any hesitation. Hopefully it happens. Maybe Netflix will pick it up for a 8-10 series like Episodes?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts