TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone might have figured this out already, but as I haven't seen this fix posted anywhere (and I've been looking and looking throughout all sorts of forums, but never found something that worked for me --- or if there was something, maybe I just didn't understand the directions!!), I thought I'd post it:

I finally found a way to permanently enable my Harmony 880 to have the "30-second skip" function (without having to ever re-enter the "Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select" sequence).

In my "Watch Tivo" activity, I clicked "Settings", then "Review Settings for this activity", then "Add more control of options", then "Custom Actions". Then, under "When you enter this activity," I added 6 actions:

Send "Select" command
Send "Play" command
Send "Select" command
Send "3" command
Send "0" command
Send "Select" command

Then I added the same 6 actions under "When you leave this activity". (I had to do this so that the 30-second skip wouldn't toggle off the next time I started up my "Watch TiVo" activity.)

This is the only way I could figure out to make it work for me.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
30 second skip is a parameter set in the TiVo, not the remote. You just need to program the TiVo remote skip button function to one of the hard buttons on the harmony remote.

I use the chapter skip ahead/back buttons, on my 520.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You may not be aware of this, but on the harmony site there is list of buttons you can add to the harmony 880 (to be placed in the window) and of them is the skip button.

I have it on mine in the lower left corner - works great.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
moyekj said:
Seems like a convoluted mess for what should be a simple macro. You mean the Harmony remotes don't support ordinary macros? That's crazy given the price.
I must agree. My "ugly" MX-500 can handle that easy as pie. (I say ugly since that's what some people in this forum think. I like it, which is all that matters.) :p

http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Teeps said:
30 second skip is a parameter set in the TiVo, not the remote. You just need to program the TiVo remote skip button function to one of the hard buttons on the harmony remote.

I use the chapter skip ahead/back buttons, on my 520.
The OP is taking about PROGRAMMING the S-P-S-3-0-S.

·
Seasoned gas passer
12,193 Posts
dnorth12 said:
You may not be aware of this, but on the harmony site there is list of buttons you can add to the harmony 880 (to be placed in the window) and of them is the skip button.

I have it on mine in the lower left corner - works great.
Not always...I tried it with my Harmony 550, and it didn't work. I had to just use the button that matches the skip button on my TiVo remote...no big deal.

·
Seasoned gas passer
12,193 Posts
pl1 said:
The OP is taking about PROGRAMMING the S-P-S-3-0-S.
yeah, but what he's doing IS a convoluted mess. He's basically programming and "unprogramming" the 30 second skip every time he starts and stops his TiVo watching activity. It's a waste of time and energy. It's very easy to reprogram it any time your TiVo has rebooted (which certainly shouldn't be very often). Folks who complain about being "unable" to do so with their universal remote only need to retrieve their TiVo remote to do it.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Bierboy said:
yeah, but what he's doing IS a convoluted mess. He's basically programming and "unprogramming" the 30 second skip every time he starts and stops his TiVo watching activity. It's a waste of time and energy. It's very easy to reprogram it any time your TiVo has rebooted (which certainly shouldn't be very often). Folks who complain about being "unable" to do so with their universal remote only need to retrieve their TiVo remote to do it.
True. You are right. I have to admit I have never had a need to program the SPS code in a macro. It is pretty rare that I have to reboot.

·
Seasoned gas passer
12,193 Posts
...and now I must eat my words...I just tried adding the 30SS via the Harmony menu option, and it worked. I do know that I had previously tried it and it hadn't. Glad it does now. I just added it to my 550's "A" button.

·
Mouse Master
6,966 Posts
moyekj said:
Seems like a convoluted mess for what should be a simple macro. You mean the Harmony remotes don't support ordinary macros? That's crazy given the price.
Agreed. After years of using an MX-700, I was shocked when I first bought a Harmony and found out how convoluted it was to set up simple macros. I understand their whole "we do all the hard work for you" philosophy in creating macros for you, but it just annoyed the heck out of me. I want to easily be able to create and tweak my own macros, so I decided the Harmony definitely wasn't for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.