741 - 760 of 763 Posts

·
Meh.
40,835 Posts

·
204 No Content
Custom Title 2
42,666 Posts
That’s a good question, since it doesn’t take a lot of external pressure on you before you can’t breathe.

I’ll actually have to calculate that, but it could get pretty high. Going the other direction (aerobraking from a transfer orbit) it can hit 2 psi or so. It would be less in this case (your density drops as you speed up)
Okay, optimal launch profiles from Mars are a bit different from Earth; you ideally want to do two burns, one vertically to get above the atmosphere and in the initial orientation, then coast a bit and then do a final burn to match speed. We assume that's what they are doing since they don't have as much fuel as they need.

Picking a reasonable (1.5g net acceleration above Mars gravity), that still gives you a surprising amount of dynamic pressure. Around 1.5 psi. That doesn't sound like much, but if you think of your overall frontal area, that's like having 900 lbs stacked on you.

So yeah, this plan has a few issues... :)

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,003 Posts
Also, didn't they say he would have about 3% fuel left when he started going down? he had 19% left when his daughter disengaged, I think...
The last shot we saw was of the fuel meter dropping from 8% to 7% (seemed like it was dropping pretty fast) and then it was still a few more seconds before Kelly disengaged. So somewhere in the 3-6% range seems about right.
Finally, they needed to shed 1,000 pounds. 7 people don't weigh more than 1,000 pounds? each man alone is at least 220.
I also thought that line about "Nine of us, that's 1,000 pounds, give or take" made no sense. Even with relatively small men and an average weight per person of 150 lbs, nine people is 1,350 lbs. And the average weight of the astronauts would likely be more in the 175 lb. range (1,575 lbs.). But that's before factoring in the weight of their space suits, which are likely at least 200 lbs. each. So removing seven people and their space suits would be over 2,500 lbs.

However, I doubt any of those men are 220 lbs. Joel Kinnaman maybe, since he's tall, but he's also pretty lean. The rest don't look very big at all. In fact, the actor who plays Will Tyler is 5'5" and the actor who played the NK astronaut is 5'6".

·
Curiously Strong
37,739 Posts
I also thought that line about "Nine of us, that's 1,000 pounds, give or take" made no sense. Even with relatively small men and an average weight per person of 150 lbs, nine people is 1,350 lbs. And the average weight of the astronauts would likely be more in the 175 lb. range (1,575 lbs.). But that's before factoring in the weight of their space suits, which are likely at least 200 lbs. each. So removing seven people and their space suits would be over 2,500 lbs.
Maybe they were talking Mars' weight and not mass. 1000lbs on Mars would be 2667lbs on Earth.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Well, I did not see "For all Mankind" going the Oklahoma City bombing route...

Washington DC
  • Did Ellen get Impeached? Or did the bombing rally support around NASA and help her fend off her own party?
  • Did Larry ever get outed or is he still closeted?
  • What will it do to Ellen's administration that the North Korean's beat the US to Mars and they had no clue they were able to mount that mission.
JSC
  • Molly Cobb died doing what she did on the moon, trying to save people. You are one in a million Molly. We will miss you.
  • Karen Baldwin being killed in the blast was heartbreaking. Het last sight being up into space (ok, the sky). I wonder what this will do to the Helios Boards' plan of ousting Dev?
  • Another Stevens kid with a lucky horseshoe. I don't think he cut in the video hack for the domestic terrorists to make their broadcast.
Somewhere in the Soviet Union
  • Margo getting out before the explosion? I was thought she was waking up in Star City until others said it was Moscow. I am actually surprised they pulled her out since they were not successful and she did not feed updated design info, without that they were doomed to failure. But her life in the Soviet Union will be nothing like her JSC apartment. Is she actively helping the Soviets, and is she presumed dead? I was kind of hoping she died in the blast, but the good-bye speech makes sense that she knew she was getting extracted.
Mars
  • I said it a couple of episodes ago that I was questioning if there was another group on Mars based on the credits scene at the end of season 2.
  • Ed was exactly right not to let Danny Sevens go out on a suicide mission. He is no hero. Banished for how many months to the North Korean probe/pod/spacecraft. I wonder what it will do to him if he finds out Jimmy ended up helping get Karen killed.
  • So, was the Phoenix sill owned by Helios when Kelly gave birth? Is the Baldwin Baby a Martian, a US Citizen, a Soviet Citizen? And, how are they getting the infant down to Earth?
  • I was right, people had to stay behind on Mars. Just didn't think it was that many.

Bring on Season 4.

·
Now with flavor!
2,258 Posts
Well, I did not see "For all Mankind" going the Oklahoma City bombing route...
It makes sense considering that domestic terrorism was a new thing in the 90s. (Waco siege, WTC93', OKC95') I'm just not sure I liked its usage in killing two principals. (although I suspect Molly's demise was "open-ended" and not planned)

I am going to miss Karen. Really wanted to see Helios under her reigns.

But now I suspect they will have 9/11 in this timeline.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I've visited JSC twice. Both times I got the impression that Mission Control was quite a ways inside the campus. What I'm trying to say is, I don't think all those camera crews get anywhere near MC, they're relegated to the outskirts of the campus.

·
Excellent.
24,563 Posts
I've visited JSC twice. Both times I got the impression that Mission Control was quite a ways inside the campus. What I'm trying to say is, I don't think all those camera crews get anywhere near MC, they're relegated to the outskirts of the campus.
Yep. I’ve been there many times and have been inside the (now-legacy) Mission Control, standing at Margo’s (/Gene Kranz’s/etc.) spot. (I’ve also been inside the new M.C.) For dramatic purposes they’ve collapsed a lot of it down to a single tall building here with a public street outside you can park on.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Table Sleeve Line Wood Flooring

I‘ve also been to JSC and been in the ISS FCR, White FCR, the Apollo control room (before it was restored and now limited access. I’ve stood at the Flight Director console. Can’t believe I’m posting the photo.

Yes, in the For All Mankind they merged the MCC with an admin building.

That said, I believe that press are allowed on center during events. How the domestic terrorists got credentialed could have been fairly straight forward since they were outside and did not have access to the MCC.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I don't view anything in this article as a spoiler but indubitably somebody probably will.

You don't think it's a spoiler that Ed will have plot armor up to at least the end of season 5?

Even with Lee and Danielle beating Ed to Mars, he still became the first person not to crash on Mars. But not wanting to be left out, he got a do-over and joined the club!

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
View attachment 74361

I‘ve also been to JSC and been in the ISS FCR, White FCR, the Apollo control room (before it was restored and now limited access. I’ve stood at the Flight Director console. Can’t believe I’m posting the photo.

Yes, in the For All Mankind they merged the MCC with an admin building.

That said, I believe that press are allowed on center during events. How the domestic terrorists got credentialed could have been fairly straight forward since they were outside and did not have access to the MCC.
I was part of an installation project for Co trol Data in 91 and this is what I remember outside the building

Sky Cloud Building Infrastructure Road surface

·
Excellent.
24,563 Posts
I’ve stood at the Flight Director console. Can’t believe I’m posting the photo.
I have a very similar photo somewhere.

Back in college, an alumnus was in the astronaut program (he rode the shuttle a couple of times) and he'd come back to campus to help a group of us study physics. He took us to JSC several times and we got to see all kinds of things the general public does not get access to. It was a pretty cool time.

·
Now with flavor!
2,258 Posts
The way the studios/streaming channels are handling physical media sales now is flat out bizarre.

"If we sell them BDs they'll never subscribe to the service!"
"But if we keep it streaming-only, we can never sell them BDs/DVDs!"

There are streaming-only shows that ended 3+ years ago that I'm still waiting on BDs.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,003 Posts
That reminds me, I mentioned to a friend that I really liked FAM and he made some crack about how it was all liberal and woke and I had to ask what he was even talking about since it never occurred to me. But then thinking about some of the storylines, I guess I can see what he was talking about.

741 - 760 of 763 Posts