TiVo Community Forum banner
701 - 720 of 763 Posts

·
Meh.
43,352 Posts
How did Margot get to Russia if that's where she is? The scene with Aleida gave the impression that Margo got blowed up.

I guess it's ironic that Karen spent so much of her life worrying about her ex-husband and daughter being killed was the one who ended up getting killed.

Kelly's rocket ride made no sense. I'm no scientist but I assume that there would be some serious g-forces for a pregnant woman to endure. They didn't even bother to show her being caught.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Stevens a-holes will be back next season.

Was Ellen still president in her last scene?

·
Now with flavor!
2,245 Posts
How did Margo get away since last we saw she was in her office, and her office got destroyed? Did she just happen to get lucky that she was in the bathroom when the bomb went off? And what city was she in during that final shot? It seemed like it was supposed to be obvious, but didn't look to me like Moscow, it looked more like the Middle East.

What's really going to fry your noodle, is maybe NASA & Aleida don't know Margo was smuggled out of the country and simply assume she was killed in the bombing.

Extra crispy: did Russia have a hand in the bombing?

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
Was Ellen still president in her last scene?
I assumed the bombing at JSC would be a "rally around the flag" event which would put President Wilson's "gay crises" in the rear-view mirror as people realized there were far more important things to worry about. But it did seem odd that a sitting POTUS would show up at Pam's door in broad daylight and there weren't 100 reporters standing in the street taking pics and screaming questions at her. (Although they did establish earlier in the season that apparently it's not so difficult for POTUS to slip away secretly without the press knowing where she is.)

What's really going to fry your noodle, is maybe NASA & Aleida don't know Margo was smuggled out of the country and simply assume she was killed in the bombing.
Oh, that doesn't fry my noodle at all. I fully assumed the US thinks she's dead (there's probably a really nice plaque in her honor at the rebuilt JSC). That's why the scene at the end was supposed to be such a surprise. Nobody in the West knows she's alive and then something in 2003 is going to change that.
Extra crispy: did Russia have a hand in the bombing?
I seriously doubt it. If the Russians had any involvement, they wouldn't want it to happen while they had some of their own people in the building and while NASA was trying to figure out a way to keep their cosmonauts alive.

From the way the hippie/terrorists were depicted earlier in the season, they were conspiracy theorists who didn't believe the space program was real (they didn't think Jimmy's parents really died on the moon, Jimmy didn't believe the story when they were worried about whether Danny was alive) but instead think it's a big propaganda machine. The Russians also have a space program and are in competition/cooperation with NASA so it wouldn't really make sense for them to back terrorists with this particular ideology.*

*I realize that in real life, it would be a great way to foment distrust and discord in an enemy nation, even if you know what they're advocating is cuckoo bananas. But in the TV writing world, I think that's too "three-dimensional chess" to try and explain to the audience, so it's easier to just not have the Russians involved.

·
MacAphile AV geek
517 Posts
We saw there were 2 Korean Astronauts in the ship - but the other one did not survive the landing.

And yes, the acceleration issues for a woman in a difficult pregnancy is too much to be believed, even with the reduced gravity of Mars. But I presume when the 4th season arrives we'll get a look forward on how the Mars colony has survived!

They showed Molly going back into the smokey hallway after leading a group od NASA staffers to the stairwell, so the presumption is she was overcome by toxic smoke while rescuing people from the Mission Control area.

The end of Margo's office was completely blown off the building, like the Murro building in Oklahoma City, so no evidence remained of Margo, no bone, no DNA, no piano, nothing ...
Websites say Apple has signed for a 4th Season - so we'll just have to wait a year and see what's next!

It's almost like we are supposed to believe that they thought it was an unmanned probe and, maybe it was only small enough to be maybe a Soyuz spacecraft, at best.

So maybe it was just one dude, and he has been surviving there on his own?

Something definetly off, but it's obviously the fuel we need to keep the space race on I guess?

·
Registered
90 Posts
[...]
On Sergei's newspaper at the end, it said the HQ building at JSC was named for "fallen hero Molly Cobb." Does that mean when she went back in to help more people find their way out, she ended up dying? Or was that newspaper in the 2003 timeline and she had just died of some other cause and that was how they chose to describe her? [...]
Here's a discussion thread with a snapshot of the newspaper article. It says that Molly's body was found in the rubble.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ForAllMankindTV/comments/wmd5g8

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts

·
I am Groot!
64,377 Posts
How did Margo get away since last we saw she was in her office, and her office got destroyed? Did she just happen to get lucky that she was in the bathroom when the bomb went off? And what city was she in during that final shot? It seemed like it was supposed to be obvious, but didn't look to me like Moscow, it looked more like the Middle East.
Well, her Russian handler hinted at getting her out, and she said her goodbyes in the control room before she left. I suspect she just had spectacular luck in the timing of her extraction...

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I’m really surprised Margo is not dead. Funny she went to all the effort to get Sergei out of the Soviet Union just to end up there herself.
Life in the USSR not in prison is preferable to life in the USA in prison. Marginally.

The whole idea of an 8 month pregnant woman, who is experiencing complications that necessitate an immediate delivery, being strapped to the top of a rocket and then asked to pilot a jetpack in space just to get to a medical facility was completely ludicrous. Why did nobody even discuss the idea that the whole reason they were trying to get her up there was because she was in a very serious medical condition, not one that would allow her to be an action hero.
I think you missed the discussion where there was no viable alternative to getting her back to Earth gravity and adequate medical facilities. As presented, this was what needed to be done, so that was what they did.

And I think you also missed her backstory, wherein she was already an action hero, well-trained and competent in the needed skills.

The scene at Helios with Dev getting the staff all riled up to start a revolution until Karen pointed out they'd have to take pay cuts was kind of laughable. A narcissist like Dev isn't just going to slink away quietly once the people start to embrace a different idea. He's going to keep trying to manipulate people into agreeing with him, no matter what it takes.
Seeing the mood turned against him, he's going to slink off, regroup, and try something that will work.

On Sergei's newspaper at the end, it said the HQ building at JSC was named for "fallen hero Molly Cobb." Does that mean when she went back in to help more people find their way out, she ended up dying? Or was that newspaper in the 2003 timeline and she had just died of some other cause and that was how they chose to describe her? I'm guessing the latter, since it didn't seem like there was much immediate danger of her going back in to help other people find their way out. We saw no evidence of a fire or collapsing floors that would have killed her.
I don't think we watched the same show. There isn't a much more dangerous environment than an just-bombed building. Molly died when she walked back into the darkness, any other interpretation wouldn't make sense thematically.

Presumably she took the escape offer in a trade for the release of Sergei's family and she made her escape just before the bombing.

Too much snow for the middle east. It could have been Moscow, but the Soviet Union was a very big country.

Completely changing the subject, I wonder how seriously we can take the end-scenes. We were betrayed at the end of last season with a collegial first step on Mars that was very different from the mad scramble that actually took place. Nice irony that the North Korean had already beaten them to the punch.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Kelly's rocket ride made no sense. I'm no scientist but I assume that there would be some serious g-forces for a pregnant woman to endure. They didn't even bother to show her being caught.
You might remember that the Apollo astronauts launched from the moon standing up in the capsule. The requirements for launch are much reduced on a planet smaller than Earth.

·
Registered
90 Posts
[...]
Completely changing the subject, I wonder how seriously we can take the end-scenes. We were betrayed at the end of last season with a collegial first step on Mars that was very different from the mad scramble that actually took place. Nice irony that the North Korean had already beaten them to the punch.
That scene from last season was exactly what took place -- when the North Korean stepped foot on the surface. Compare it with the similar scene from the opening of the last episode.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
I think you missed the discussion where there was no viable alternative to getting her back to Earth gravity and adequate medical facilities. As presented, this was what needed to be done, so that was what they did.

And I think you also missed her backstory, wherein she was already an action hero, well-trained and competent in the needed skills.
I didn't miss anything. I just think that set of scenes was wildly unrealistic and stupid, even in the confines of this show.

Too much snow for the middle east. It could have been Moscow, but the Soviet Union was a very big country.
I just thought the architecture didn't look like Russia. Maybe the USSR stashed her in one of the republics that has more middle eastern influence, like Georgia or Azerbaijan, or one of the 'stans. Or maybe that city was supposed to be Baikonur and she's working for Roscosmos.

·
All About Footwork
32,298 Posts
I agree...if it were Russia, they would've shown us the Kremlin/red square.

Because, you know, just like in Paris...you can see the Eiffle tower from every window! :D

·
Meh.
43,352 Posts
Looks like Margo still isn't going to get any.

Apparently, Ed is immortal.

It seems pretty unrealistic that a hottie like Pam is still available for Ellen to just pop in on after all these years.

Was there any subsequent mention of the missing Gordo and Tracy statue after it was stolen from NASA's front door steps? NASA has no security cams?

How would a miscellaneous goober like the bomber guy know exactly where Jimmy should plant whatever device that was in NASA headquarters?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Well, Wrenn Schmidt thinks it's Russia (or rather, the Soviet Union)...

In the article, she says she thinks it was not Russia.

"The Soviets did not have anything to do with the bombing, but I think you should also talk to Matt and Ben about that because who knows?"

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
That finale was as stupid as last season's was cringeworthy, while the writers think they are so clever with irony.

1) Last season ended with the parents saving space exploration, while this season the sons destroyed it.
2) Margo in Russia - Sergei in US
3) Karen is dead, but her family lives.
4) Inpeachment for the president who defeated Clinton, but for being gay.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I just thought the architecture didn't look like Russia. Maybe the USSR stashed her in one of the republics that has more middle eastern influence, like Georgia or Azerbaijan, or one of the 'stans. Or maybe that city was supposed to be Baikonur and she's working for Roscosmos.
The first thing I noticed were the onion shaped spires which you see on Russian orthodox churches, so I thought Russia, but then i noticed the tall building on the right an thought I recognized it as one of the 4 Stalin apartment buildings, which would make it Moscow. Note in 1993 I spend a few weeks in Russia and stayed at one of those apartment buildings.

See: Stalin’s Soaring Moscow Towers Sorely Need Body Work (Published 2018)

·
I am Groot!
64,377 Posts
In the article, she says she thinks it was not Russia.

"The Soviets did not have anything to do with the bombing, but I think you should also talk to Matt and Ben about that because who knows?"
She says it's not Russia that did the bombing. But that Margo's now living in the Soviet Union. In fact, at one point she specifically mentions Moscow.

·
204 No Content
Custom Title 2
35,691 Posts
701 - 720 of 763 Posts