TiVo Community Forum banner
681 - 700 of 763 Posts

·
Nice to see you
12,131 Posts
Sorry, I can't go with the POTUS not being aware the recording system was present. IIRC the Nixon's Executive Secretary was in charge of its operation. Those people come with the office holders, they are not career staff.
Also, President Wilson showed off a DAT cassette, which would have meant that the system had been updated fairly recently, which would have called extra attention to its existence. (Although that update actually might have been during the Hart administration.)

·
Meh.
43,352 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how the Russian doctor and commander seemed to know Kelly was pregnant before she did.

I also assume that everyone would be on some sort of birth control by default on a Mars mission. As this is a fictional show set in another universe there's no reason why they couldn't have also developed a male contraceptive pill so the onus isn't strictly on the female. I also assume that mission planners wouldn't want to discover how a fetus/baby reacts to being on Mars by an unplanned, accident pregnancy.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
Also, President Wilson showed off a DAT cassette, which would have meant that the system had been updated fairly recently, which would have called extra attention to its existence. (Although that update actually might have been during the Hart administration.)
Updating the medium on which the recordings reside doesn't require an overhaul of the whole system. If the mics are already in place and all feed to a central location where the recording equipment is, that equipment can be swapped out with any kind of recording equipment without disturbing the mics.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how the Russian doctor and commander seemed to know Kelly was pregnant before she did.
Because they ran blood tests on everyone to see who was compatible to provide a transfusion.

·
Registered
20,106 Posts
Is it possible that North Korea could launch a manned rocket to Mars and nobody at NASA, Helios or the Russians would notice it?
It's almost like we are supposed to believe that they thought it was an unmanned probe and, maybe it was only small enough to be maybe a Soyuz spacecraft, at best.

So maybe it was just one dude, and he has been surviving there on his own?

Something definetly off, but it's obviously the fuel we need to keep the space race on I guess?

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Of all the things in the FAM alternate time line, that's the one I have the hardest time believing :)
Ellen was living in Houston and was recruited to run in what was a heavily Republican district. She may have been apolitical as an astronaut but being one helped win the election in my opinion, sans any on-screen dialog.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
I recall after he collapsed the doc stated what his blood type was and Kelly stated she was a match. I will assume they tested her blood and a pregnancy test was part of the usual panel.
Yes, I just rewatched that scene and my original interpretation was the doc was asking for a crossmatch from everyone to see who was compatible, but it's possible he was only asking for a crossmatch on Kelly's blood since she offered that she was also A positive. Either way, they ran a panel on her blood and that's how they knew.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,133 Posts
It's almost like we are supposed to believe that they thought it was an unmanned probe and, maybe it was only small enough to be maybe a Soyuz spacecraft, at best.

So maybe it was just one dude, and he has been surviving there on his own?

Something definetly off, but it's obviously the fuel we need to keep the space race on I guess?
They've been really good at planting seeds and then showing them blossom in the next episode.
I wouldn't be surprised if the probe they visited was literally just a probe and there's a small North Korean base camp around the bend.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
I hope Danielle remembered to dig up the gun.
I hope she didn't. Then maybe Danny's self-loathing will result in offing himself and the rest of them won't have to waste their resources on him. Although committing suicide on Mars would be pretty simple without needing a gun or any other traditional Earth-based method.

Man, those Stevens boys are worthless, aren't they! One got a bunch of people killed on Mars, and the other was involved in getting a bunch of people killed on Earth. I wonder what the part Jimmy was supposed to install would have done. Were the terrorists going to broadcast some kind of statement/manifesto before triggering the bomb?

After months of being alone on Mars with no communication from his country, it's kind of crazy that the NK-astronaut wasn't thrilled to see other humans, and instead thought he needed to defend his post.

The whole idea of an 8 month pregnant woman, who is experiencing complications that necessitate an immediate delivery, being strapped to the top of a rocket and then asked to pilot a jetpack in space just to get to a medical facility was completely ludicrous. Why did nobody even discuss the idea that the whole reason they were trying to get her up there was because she was in a very serious medical condition, not one that would allow her to be an action hero.

The scene at Helios with Dev getting the staff all riled up to start a revolution until Karen pointed out they'd have to take pay cuts was kind of laughable. A narcissist like Dev isn't just going to slink away quietly once the people start to embrace a different idea. He's going to keep trying to manipulate people into agreeing with him, no matter what it takes.

On Sergei's newspaper at the end, it said the HQ building at JSC was named for "fallen hero Molly Cobb." Does that mean when she went back in to help more people find their way out, she ended up dying? Or was that newspaper in the 2003 timeline and she had just died of some other cause and that was how they chose to describe her? I'm guessing the latter, since it didn't seem like there was much immediate danger of her going back in to help other people find their way out. We saw no evidence of a fire or collapsing floors that would have killed her.

How did Margo get away since last we saw she was in her office, and her office got destroyed? Did she just happen to get lucky that she was in the bathroom when the bomb went off? And what city was she in during that final shot? It seemed like it was supposed to be obvious, but didn't look to me like Moscow, it looked more like the Middle East.

681 - 700 of 763 Posts