TiVo Community Forum banner
621 - 640 of 720 Posts

·
Meh.
42,833 Posts
Kelly - Way too smart to not use birth control and/or a spontaneous sexual encounter.
Love makes you do the stupid. I think Xander from Buffy The Vampire Slayer said that. Whoever said it, it's true. Unfortunately, the writers of this show did the stupid in this case.

Were the Russians the only ones who thought it might be smart to bring a medical doctor along for the very first multi year journey to another planet?

Reactions: Steveknj

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I’m starting to get tired of the “Danny Steven’s about to confess and fate let’s him off the hook” trope.

The statement about Kelly’s pregnancy endangering the Soviets mission? Dudes! You are at the mercy of NASA or Helios to live and get home.

Margo looking back on the conference room table where they solved the problem tells me that she misses the actual work. She still has the reckoning barreling down the tracks for her. Oh, she was still a contending B when she hunted down Dev in the gallery. I connected with this plot point. I’ve supported 2 crew rotations from JSC and I would sit in the gallery of the Apollo control room and let that room talk to me. I would stand at the Flight Directors console and take in the ramifications of the thousands of decisions that were made there. I would then walk down to Comm Control and setup the emergency Comm network to be ready if needed.

Karen is the new Mrs. Deke Slayton rallying around the “Astronaut Wives”. While she “hated space”, she is anchored by it.

Danielle Pool is showing why she was the right choice to lead the Mars Mission for NASA. She is in command, she is focused on the rescue and gets it done. Love that they are calling her “Skip”.

Dev focusing on the problem and then turning it upside down showed the differences in the culture.

So, the Mars team is stuck on the surface since the MSAM is a hunk of junk. Phoenix will just orbit and provide a Comm relay since they don’t have fuel to depart. Can’t drill for water since the one rig is destroyed and the other rig is on Phoenix and it cannot get down to the surface. Helios has one Hab left, NASA has its outpost and It’s ship that cannot fly.

Given past dialog this mission was an out and back, with colonization down the road. So there is no rescue (that we know of) for 4 years (launch rescue in 2 years then return in 2 years). Survival just got much harder. Thanks Danny.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,907 Posts
So, the Mars team is stuck on the surface since the MSAM is a hunk of junk. Phoenix will just orbit and provide a Comm relay since they don’t have fuel to depart. Can’t drill for water since the one rig is destroyed and the other rig is on Phoenix and it cannot get down to the surface. Helios has one Hab left, NASA has its outpost and It’s ship that cannot fly.
I'm not 100% sure the MSAM is "lost lost" and wonder if they may dig it out in the last episode to get folks up to the Polaris, I also think there's a longshot they fix Sojourner

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I'm not 100% sure the MSAM is "lost lost" and wonder if they may dig it out in the last episode to get folks up to the Polaris, I also think there's a longshot they fix Sojourner
During the conference room scene NASA was critiquing the mission plan that left the second drill on Phoenix. The Helios response was that they were working to get the fuel refinery up and running. While they were focused on saving Ed and Danny, the dialog tells
me things will be grim.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,084 Posts
I laughed when Kelly threw herself on Ed right at the spot where he just had his surgery.
Yes, if they're going to have Kelly fall on him and hug him like that, they needed to stage that scene differently so she can hug him from his other side. That was painful to watch.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,084 Posts
Kelly - Way too smart to not use birth control and/or a spontaneous sexual encounter.
Supposedly there's a current, real, mandate for astronauts that they have to remain "masters of their domain" due to the potential mess and damage that could be caused by floating semen. So I wonder if there were similar rules in place and therefore the powers that be simply didn't consider that this would be an issue since they had dictated that it was against the rules. Obviously naive and shortsighted, if so, but might explain why Kelly was apparently not on birth control.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Don't forget the quick mention of North Korea in one episode
Maybe they will salvage that one last parts needed to fix the MSAM or Sojourner from that North Korean probe/ship....or maybe the North Korean probe blew up in orbit of Mars and for the second time North Korean debris is going to cause havoc for Phoenix/Polaris.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Something occurred to me on the drive in. At the end of Season 2 there was the shot on Mars of a boot and an EVA suit.

I’m not sure, but I don’t think it looked like any of the suits that Helios, NASA or the Soviets are wearing.

·
Meh.
42,833 Posts
Is it possible that North Korea could launch a manned rocket to Mars and nobody at NASA, Helios or the Russians would notice it?

Reactions: dianebrat
621 - 640 of 720 Posts