TiVo Community Forum banner
601 - 620 of 720 Posts

·
All About Footwork
32,142 Posts
With the way the ground split, the water will be on the surface for anyone to use.

·
All About Footwork
32,142 Posts
Well, if that's the case, wouldn't it actually be in the atmosphere for nobody to use? I assume the relative humidity on Mars is quite low...
Meh...it will be explained somehow...

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Watched the latest episode Sunday so going off memory:

Mars - Helios
  • Yep, Ed still sucks at being a good Leader looking out for his entire crew. His blind spot regarding Danny cost him, his crew, his mission, and potentially his life.
  • Anyone not surprised that Ed/Helios is doing the bare minimum testing for life in the core samples?
  • I am curious if the sole witness to Danny turning off the Comm system is now dead and that gold plated horseshoe he has up his anatomy is still working.
  • It looked like at one point (or 2) that he was contemplating taking an overdose of the "go-pills"
  • Is there any permanent damage to the Helios base?
Mars - NASA
  • Moral is in the dumps.
  • Kelly is still trying to do what is right, and calling out her dad on moving forward before the NASA tests were done.
  • Glad to see Astronaut Will Tyler still alive, I was thinking he was going to open his visor on the surface after the ramifications of his coming out hit home.
Earth - NASA JSC
  • Oh, Margo - The show runners are making us dislike you more each week. Being compromised for the better part of 10 years has made a mess of things. From sharing the early nuclear engine designs to now threatening Alida's position. And now your forbidden love is now going back to the hands of the KGB since he is no longer any value to them. And since you are no longer of any value to the Soviets scores will be settled.
  • Jimmy Stevens, why are you buying into the conspiracy theorists? And what are you going to do with the statue?
  • Alida - You got Margo's number. Now, what to do? It bugged me that Margo referred to Alida as the engineer when she is a Flight Director.
    • Speaking of Flight Directors, what ever happened to the Flight Director at the end of Season 2 who was in charge during the Nuclear Alert? The one who was named Flight Director when Margo was gunning for the job?
Earth - Washington DC
  • Ellen, please don't be so naive, you knew what went down. You also knew that your little charade would come to an end. And when it comes out the US Nuclear Engine design was given to the Soviets, potentially on her watch (not sure of the timeline), along with being outed as a lesbian, things won't end well. It won't end at Larry. Go down swinging if you must, don't go off into the night quietly.
Only 3 episodes left.
  • Will we see a Mars Colony form and declare independence from all Earth governments and corporations?
    • Thereby removing Will from being court-marshals and discharged from the Army
    • And providing protections to those who may be born on Mars.
  • Will we see the downfall of Margo? And will she take down the Wilson Administration?

·
Now with flavor!
2,222 Posts
Oh, Margo - The show runners are making us dislike you more each week.
I'm still Margo's biggest fan. Still my favorite character and actress across all three seasons. (That breakdown into her pillow was heartwrenching to watch) She also does a nice Behind The Science short this episode too. And she's on the big screen in Nope this week as well.

Wrenn Schmidt's performance reminds of Alison Janney's CJ Cregg from The West Wing.

Reactions: Regina

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,084 Posts
Only 3 episodes left.
  • Will we see a Mars Colony form and declare independence from all Earth governments and corporations?
    • Thereby removing Will from being court-marshals and discharged from the Army
    • And providing protections to those who may be born on Mars.
  • Will we see the downfall of Margo? And will she take down the Wilson Administration?
How will declaring an independent Mars colony remove Will from being court martialed and discharged? They don't have the resources to stay on Mars indefinitely, so if he wants to stay alive, he's got to return to Earth at some point. And unless the Army regulations change between "now" and when he returns, he's going to be discharged.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I'm still Margo's biggest fan. Still my favorite character and actress across all three seasons. (That breakdown into her pillow was heartwrenching to watch) She also does a nice Behind The Science short this episode too. And she's on the big screen in Nope this week as well.

Wrenn Schmidt's performance reminds of Alison Janney's CJ Cregg from The West Wing.
Don't get me wrong, I love Wrenn Schmidt's portrayal. But I do not respect the character as I once did. And maybe I just forgot that she manipulated her way into the MCC. The congress critter a few episodes back nailed it. She is an institution onto herself (not going to use the term from the dialog). She has, single handedly, triggered events that have lead to deaths, betrayals, and compromised the agency's success. She has fallen so low to threaten to take down others to keep her secret from being revealed.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
How will declaring an independent Mars colony remove Will from being court martialed and discharged? They don't have the resources to stay on Mars indefinitely, so if he wants to stay alive, he's got to return to Earth at some point. And unless the Army regulations change between "now" and when he returns, he's going to be discharged.
I am basing it as follows (my own speculation):
  • The crews are slated to return after the 2 year mission
  • The Martian habitats were to be abandoned / shuttered upon departure of the crews.
  • The availability of liquid water allows
    • Regeneration of the habitat atmosphere
    • Provides drinking water
    • Provides irrigation water for growing food
    • Foodstuffs should have been over-provisioned for the baseline crew leaving "leftovers" for those who stay behind.
      • We do that now with the ISS
    • Not sure about power generation, if its solar or nuclear, but should continue to be available for a reduced crew
    • Someone potentially would have developed a contingency plan if they needed to leave members of the crew behind
  • It is easier to support one or 3 for a longer period of time than the 6+
    • Yes, I am still on the "Kelly will give birth on Mars" speculation
  • If the Mars colony declares independence, and Will decides to stay, it would be akin to 1776, the colonists were no longer subjects of the King (government) but independent.
    • Beyond the Will situation, if they do have Kelly get pregnate by a member of the Soviet crew, that could lead to an international incident if the Soviets demand the baby be turned over to the Father to return to Earth, as the child could potentially be born without agency, especially if it is in the Helios habitat. That isn't necessarily US soil, nor Soviet soil. It's corporate housing :). Plus there is potentialy no way to fashion a suitable re-entry suit for an infant / toddler.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,084 Posts
OK, but you make it seem like staying on Mars in a really risky, life-threatening situation would be preferable to being discharged from the Army. I say returning to Earth and facing that temporary unpleasantness would be much better than remaining on Mars and trying to survive in an environment that would make it nearly impossible.

·
All About Footwork
32,142 Posts
Margo committed treason because she was in love with a Russian guy who was being handled by the KGP. Let's not make her out to be Saint.

Reactions: Steveknj and Beryl

·
Meh.
42,833 Posts
Every time I hear about colonizing Mars I'm reminded of the fact that Mars has no magnetic field which is what blocks the extremely harmful to humans, very high energy cosmic rays from reaching Earth's surface. I can't see how anyone would want to live on Mars with all the shielding that would be necessary to stay alive.

Reactions: Random User 7

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Every time I hear about colonizing Mars I'm reminded of the fact that Mars has no magnetic field which is what blocks the extremely harmful to humans, very high energy cosmic rays from reaching Earth's surface. I can't see how anyone would want to live on Mars with all the shielding that would be necessary to stay alive.
Cosmic radiation is quite a ways down the list of things in the Martian environment that will kill you.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
OK, but you make it seem like staying on Mars in a really risky, life-threatening situation would be preferable to being discharged from the Army. I say returning to Earth and facing that temporary unpleasantness would be much better than remaining on Mars and trying to survive in an environment that would make it nearly impossible.
The crews are already spending 2 years in that environment. Lessons learned over that period makes it, even minimally, easier.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,084 Posts
The crews are already spending 2 years in that environment. Lessons learned over that period makes it, even minimally, easier.
But regardless of what they learn by being there, at some point the resources they brought with them will run out. They may figure out a way to grow some food, but that's going to be difficult and probably won't provide enough for all their needs. Basically, the longer they stay there (without resupply from Earth), the more difficult it's going to be.

·
Now with flavor!
2,222 Posts
Okay my seething contempt for the Stevens brothers (Danny and Jimmy) has deflated a bit. Really good scenes from both- especially Danny's imposter syndrome of "stealing Shane's life"

Really liked this episode- good balance of space drama and interpersonal drama. And Dev Ayessa's stock shot up several points after finding his lineage to Apollo 23 and his "We're engineers" rallying cry. Was really having qualms with this season. But this was a good swing back to the good stuff.

Just hope they don't go all Falcon Crest with the Russians and the Kelly "pregnancy"

·
Meh.
42,833 Posts
I still despise Danny. His confession didn't include the astronauts and cosmonauts he killed. I knew he'd get to the "and I banged your wife too" part of baring his soul but the rescue conveniently happened a split second before he could confess. I didn't like Jimmy hassling Karen about it like it was all of her fault. Danny played an equal part.

Not looking forward to the Martian baby subplot of the show at all. Not even a little bit. Jimmy Stevens can take a hike now too.

Ellen got on my nerves. She's the President of the United States, the most powerful person on the planet and she's angry at Pam for sacrificing to allow her to achieve that position. How many years have passed?

Reactions: Beryl and jdfs

·
Premium Member
11,924 Posts
Binge-watched everything available. Glad they wrapped up the rescue in E8

Loved when Danielle told Ed that he works for an a-hole. “Elon” did deliver the cool engineering line though.

Why, if we see Danny is unstable would they leave him in charge of anything? Ed and that guy who got his toy dog stomped were idiots for not keeping him on a short leash. But then, Ed is consistently impulsive.

Aleida is still my girl. Loved when she outed the water thing and seems to have figured out Margo.

I’ve always ignored the soapy parts of this series but…

Will - “Come out” after you return from Mars.
Margo - I understand love but, dang.
Larry - Dude, just keep it in your pants for 4 years.
Ellen - Hang in there until you are re-elected then come out and do you.
Kelly - Way too smart to not use birth control and/or a spontaneous sexual encounter.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,907 Posts
Color me disappointed that Danny didn't sacrifice himself for Ed so that we would not have to listen to him anymore.

I know it's harsh, but as a character he's overstayed his welcome by at least 3/4 of this season so far.

·
All About Footwork
32,142 Posts
I laughed when Kelly threw herself on Ed right at the spot where he just had his surgery.

Reactions: DevdogAZ and Beryl
601 - 620 of 720 Posts