TiVo Community Forum banner
541 - 560 of 763 Posts

·
Registered
20,106 Posts
The don't technically need to do an Earth re-entry though right? They have a moon base where they could send a local shuttle to pick people up. Obviously they'd still have to get to the moon, I'm just pointing out that not being able to land on earth isn't a big deal in their timeline.
Yeah they actually departed from the Moon, so it makes sense that they would actually be returning to the Moon.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,343 Posts
Now Ed is forever going to be known as the man who could have been first on the moon and first on Mars, but he got too cautious at the last second (even if the caution was entirely warranted).

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Ok, some thoughts. First, I was totally wrong on my speculations last week :) I would love to know the orbital velocity they are flying at for the transfer to Mars being measured in weeks, not months.

Phoenix:
  • Danny is still on his trajectory to obtain a higher order a**hole. Loved Danny's discomfort when Ed said if her ever found out who Karen had the affair with they would be nothing left. Don't hang around an airlock Danny. You don't know what Ed is capable of (anyone remember Jamestown and the Soviet Cosmonaut in Season 1)?
  • Danny also played the bully to get the admin password and hacking Ed's communications is a huge breach of trust, when Ed finds out there is no recovery.
  • Ed and Karen reconciling? I think Karen has the outward persona of hating Space but can still be proud of her ex-husbands conduct in response to the accident.
  • With age comes wisdom. There was too much risk of crashing that makes being "first" not that important. A 20 year younger Ed would have gone for it, like Danny wanted to.
Sojourner:
  • Really, no damage? And they happen to have the proper hose to do a fuel transfer? If it was intended to refuel on Mars that hose would have been with the supplies on the cargo mission.
  • Yep, angry Cosmonaut trying to be the first to step on Mars. Tensions will continue. Glad Danni was having to part of the insubordination.
JSC:
  • Guess I was "sort" of right. Margo gave them the design of the nuclear engine, but did not update the variables as NASA fine tuned the engine.
  • Yep, the Soviets continue to blackmail Margo, demanding NASA hand over resources, even after rescuing the Soviet crew.
  • Aleida did not drop the digging, proving the transfer of the design to the Soviets. Margo is only delaying her downfall by kicking the can down the road and trying to stall Aleida, she will not wait forever for Margo to act.
  • Not sure if it is a story point or just bad CGI, but Gorbachov looking away during Ellens remarks is telling if it is a plot point.
  • Karen getting stoned with Wayne was interesting. He is still an "Astronauts spouse", and the friendship he and Karen started 20 years prior. Nice touch.
  • It was interesting that Dev didn't say a word after Ed aborted the landing of "Popeye". I was waiting for him to explode after losing.
  • Kelly and the Cosmonaut? Well, if we can have "Mrs. Robinson" last season, will the show runners give us the first human born not on Earth?

·
Craps Player
4,379 Posts
Good episode but the Kelly/Cosmonaut story is dumb.

·
All About Footwork
32,298 Posts
I rolled my eyes at Margo's surprise that the Russians would blackmail her again after they made a deal that the last time was "the last time".

Is anybody really that stupid?

·
I am Groot!
64,361 Posts
I rolled my eyes at Margo's surprise that the Russians would blackmail her again after they made a deal that the last time was "the last time".

Is anybody really that stupid?
Then again, you'd have to be a special kind of idealistic to make the deal she made in the first place...

(And I do mean "special.")

·
Registered
20,106 Posts
Then again, you'd have to be a special kind of idealistic to make the deal she made in the first place...

In a way, her sharing has actually fueled advancement, at least according to the show. We already know what happens when one side obliterates the other.

People lose interest and advancement stalls.

·
All About Footwork
32,298 Posts
In a way, her sharing has actually fueled advancement, at least according to the show. We already know what happens when one side obliterates the other.

People lose interest and advancement stalls.
Clearly, you are under the influence of The Shadows and not The Vorlons!

·
All About Footwork
32,298 Posts

Up until then, I think she would've just lost her job. With a good lawyer and the right connections, she could've made a case that she got as much or more than what she gave. Until she gave them the rocket design, a well-connected woman like her could've been saved.

Now, she will be in even hotter water when the Russians kill that engineer who discovered the theft in order to keep the secret from getting out.

·
I am Groot!
64,361 Posts
Certainly a much more material argument since it has the benefit of history (in this case), it's really hard to argue any benefits of one's actions if you could not foresee the alternative result.
But in this case, it's hard even without the benefit of history not to foresee that committing treason will not have a good end...

·
Registered
20,106 Posts
But in this case, it's hard even without the benefit of history not to foresee that committing treason will not have a good end...
Oh yeah for sure, she's toast and she should have never done it. I'm just saying that for the story's sake, it makes a believable 'race' and pushes the Americans to advance science etc.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,343 Posts
But, the converse would be that she is responsible for the deaths since she gave them the tech.
I don't think that's on Margo. They knowingly pushed their equipment past its capability. That would be like saying Toyota is responsible if I intentionally drive a Camry into a bridge support.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I don't think that's on Margo. They knowingly pushed their equipment past its capability. That would be like saying Toyota is responsible if I intentionally drive a Camry into a bridge support.
But, if Margo hadn't given them the tech, they would not have been in the race to begin with, so the accident would not have happened.

I know I may be splitting hairs.

·
Excellent.
23,829 Posts
I got behind and am now up through episode 4. I've read as much of the thread as I dared, but I'm not sure new episode warnings have been reliably posted so I stopped a page or two back.

But through episode four -- wow! I thought E04 was maybe a little bit drowsy up until the last fifteen minutes and then, holy smokes.

What an incredible job the show has done setting bombs and then lighting fuses. We've got Danny the powder keg on the space hotel. He seems certain to face off with Ed at some point. We've got Ed now seeing his boss as the antagonist, locked out of his own ship. (And that's a move that clearly isn't going to end well.) We've got Karen and Dev now (presumably) at odds within Helios, and probably Bill vs. the rest of the control room as well. We've got the Russians boarding Sojourner only to find their former comrade, the defector. We've got video of the Russian nuclear engine being sent back to Earth, waiting for someone to discover how it looks suspiciously like the American design. And I feel like there were also one or two other "we've gots" that I am not thinking of right now.

Need to get episode five in before this week's new release so I am all caught up. What a ride.

ETA: I'm not one to quibble with (or even notice, probably) technical accuracy issues in this domain, but the tether between the two ships seemed to be an obvious plot contrivance. Why wouldn't they just EVA jetpack over? (Because then we couldn't crash the ships.)

·
Meh.
43,329 Posts
I finished season 2 last night. It sucked that Tracey died but I had been hoping Gordo would find a way to kick the bucket from about halfway through season 1.

I continually got a chuckle out of how closing the moon habitat's doors kept the bad one sixth gravity out.

It bugs me at how cavalierly the astronauts for missions were chosen. No way in the universe a fat, drunk Gordo should have been chosen for a months long lunar mission anyway, especially cohabitating in such a small base with his divorced wife. That's just asking for trouble but he writers whitewashed it by giving Gordo a redemption arc and having Tracey be dumb enough to reconcile with him to the end.

I'll start season 3 today.

541 - 560 of 763 Posts