TiVo Community Forum banner
501 - 520 of 763 Posts

·
204 No Content
Custom Title 2
35,706 Posts
@kaszeta Thanks for doing the heavy lifting. :)
I'm resisting the temptation to bust out the old Orbital Mechanics textbook.

In the real world at least, you can do a fast transfer orbit to Mars and get there in only 5 months instead of 9, for about 60% more fuel, but you'd have to leave a bit earlier. Most any trick that could get one of the missions to Mars substantially quicker than the others would have to be played relatively early in the mission and require a lot of fuel.

·
This Space for Lease
8,929 Posts
That was a big heaping bucket of space drama. Nice to see the soap opera stuff take a backseat.
I was thinking the same thing. Nice to actually see some space in the space race.

I am really curious to see what happens now. I can’t imagine the US crew is just going to go home and let Helios be the only ones to make it to Mars.

·
I am Groot!
64,442 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Nice to actually see some space in the space race.

I am really curious to see what happens now. I can’t imagine the US crew is just going to go home and let Helios be the only ones to make it to Mars.
Well, for one thing it looks like the NASA team is going to need some rescuing of their own...

Helios crew hackers regain control of the ship?

·
All About Footwork
32,301 Posts
...and Margo just got made (or at least the first seeds of doubt are planted) that she knows more about the Russian rocket than she should.

If they start looking closely at the Russian ship, they will realize that there is a spy inside NASA.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Well, NASA just had "A Bad Day". 2 crew dead (any death in space would be horrific, but seeing Sylvie Kaplan get absolutely crushed between the hulls was disturbing, especially when the visor burst. Then Clarke Halliday get hit with a cable (Um, writers, you used that device just 2 episodes ago). And the Cosmonaut attached to the tether meeting his demise.

You could see the uneasiness and disagreement in Karen's and Bill's body language when it was "decided" to let NASA handle the rescue attempt. Again, showing "New Space" not holding the ideals of NASA. I loved Danielle's comment to Ed (paraphrasing) "I work for the United States Government and you work for an a**hole".

There are going to be ramifications to the disabling of the Phoenix by the ground, Ed is going to go ballistic. Also I wonder how his medical condition requiring injections will play out. We've seen him treating himself twice now. I'm curios how the NASA flight surgeon was unaware of whatever his condition is.

The abject hatred from the Soviet Cosmonauts toward Rolan Baranov (the defector at Jamestown turned Astronaut) isn't going to end well.

Danny Stevens isn't making friends aboard the Phoenix. Jimmy Stevens is making friends on Earth, but that will come back to bite him and others. The specter of their parents continue to weigh them down.

Aleida noticing Margo's detailed knowledge of the Russian Soviets nuclear wessel (sorry) engines is going to play out some way. Did Margo provide the Soviets with an inferior / earlier deign that limited its performance?

Spoiling my speculation
The NASA ship is too damaged to make it back to Earth safely. Helios / Dev will take a MASSIVE PR hit for not rendering aid to the Russians Soviets and will have to rendezvous and take onboard the survivors from both vehicles. With the "First" out of the way, then it will be survival on Mars. Is Helios is the Grasshopper, NASA the Ant?

·
204 No Content
Custom Title 2
35,706 Posts
There are going to be ramifications to the disabling of the Phoenix by the ground, Ed is going to go ballistic. Also I wonder how his medical condition requiring injections will play out. We've seen him treating himself twice now. I'm curios how the NASA flight surgeon was unaware of whatever his condition is.
They showed the label in this episode. He's taking steroids. (Specifically, nandrolone decanoate)

·
All About Footwork
32,301 Posts
I don't think Margo gave them an inferior design. The Russians pushed the engine way past its specs (the guy that talked to Ed's daughter said as much).

So we will see a dramatic confrontation between Ed and Elon Musk, another software update will give him back control, and he will make sure no more updates are sent to remain in control. Everyone will be on board Helios, with the tension between the defector and the Russians taking center stage...

·
Registered
20,117 Posts
I think it's possible we see a coup inside Helios from Karen and Bill, they might release the controls to Ed especially once it is clear that Karen's daughter is also in danger.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,404 Posts
They showed the label in this episode. He's taking steroids. (Specifically, nandrolone decanoate)
Thanks! I missed that. Looking it up I can see what Ed's endgame just may be.
I don't think it would be uncommon for someone of Ed's age to be taking testosterone supplements without any adverse effects. Heck, I'm a lot younger than he is supposed to be in this season and I've taken them before. He's not boosting his T levels to gain muscle mass like a body builder, but is instead just taking them to maintain his abilities which would otherwise be naturally declining.

But obviously from a TV writing perspective, they're not going to put that in there and then just have it not result in something dramatic. So I suspect Win Joy is right that we're likely to see some kind of 'roid rage incident. Maybe it will be triggered by Danny finally admitting to Ed that it was Danny that Karen slept with that spelled the beginning of the end for Ed and Karen's marriage.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
But obviously from a TV writing perspective, they're not going to put that in there and then just have it not result in something dramatic. So I suspect Win Joy is right that we're likely to see some kind of 'roid rage incident. Maybe it will be triggered by Danny finally admitting to Ed that it was Danny that Karen slept with that spelled the beginning of the end for Ed and Karen's marriage.
I am not thinking 'Road-Rage', that specific steroid is to combat anemia (if the DuckDuckGo-Fu was working) so I am thinking that he potentially could get injured and die from an otherwise non-life-threatening injury. Tragedy will be that Kelly is there, and Danny will have revelation that while his parents died in the service of their nation he did not witness it first hand, and was probably only told after their deaths. Kelly will witness her dad die in service of an "a**hole" (Thank you Danielle Poole and the writers for that).

But the mission Ed is commanding is going to have to change, at least until Mars. My bet is that whatever Phoenix has to do rescue the surviving crew of the NASA Sojourner One’ and the Soviet Mars-94 vehicles will result that the mission is now a one-way trip and the combined crew will need to survive. Plus Ed will need to figure out how to get everyone to just get along, especially some seriously grumpy Soviets. Phoenix has the volume to house several additional crew (4 surviving Soviets, still trying to figure out the crew complement of Sojourner One), but what about life support consumables, water reclamation, and a whole host of other items. NASA already pre-deployed all the supplies for its planned Mars base via the gravity assist from Venus. I'm speculating the Russians carried everything in the Mars-94 vehicle.

One question popped into my mind just now. How realistic is a direct abort at this point in the mission? Paging @kaszeta to the nearest Comm Box.

Question: Should abject speculation of future plot points be Spoiler Tagged?

501 - 520 of 763 Posts