TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
Just caught up on S2 and the first few eps of S3. Most of my comments have already been mentioned, but I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Soviet "blockade" of the moon with a single ship. Seems like that would be a pretty easy blockade to get around. Just insert into lunar orbit when Buran is on the other side of the moon and the two ships will likely never see each other. If Pathfinder and Sea Dragon were in orbit on the opposite side of Buran, then there's literally nothing Buran could do to stop Sea Dragon from delivering its cargo to the surface.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
"The Race". Ok, dramatically, the (somewhat) concurrent launches of the 3 were for the dramatic plot, NASA COULD have a head start since they are leaving Lunar orbit while Helios is leaving Earth orbit, with the Soviets having to get off the ground first. Unless the Moon is on the opposite side of the Earth at launch. I might need to see if the tools I have access to can go back to 1994 Mars launch windows.
Seems like the Mars launch window would be more than just a couple of days, and if so, then there would be time to wait for the moon to be in the right position to be an advantage rather than having to launch from 250,000 miles farther away.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
Weren't they married? Or am I misremembering?
They never indicated that they were married. Neither were wearing a ring. And it would be kind of odd (or at least worth calling out) if Sam married the ex-wife of one astronaut, then turned around and married the ex-wife of another astronaut (who was the best friend of the first astronaut). Especially when Ex-wife One and Ex-wife Two were also very good friends.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
They showed the label in this episode. He's taking steroids. (Specifically, nandrolone decanoate)
Thanks! I missed that. Looking it up I can see what Ed's endgame just may be.
I don't think it would be uncommon for someone of Ed's age to be taking testosterone supplements without any adverse effects. Heck, I'm a lot younger than he is supposed to be in this season and I've taken them before. He's not boosting his T levels to gain muscle mass like a body builder, but is instead just taking them to maintain his abilities which would otherwise be naturally declining.

But obviously from a TV writing perspective, they're not going to put that in there and then just have it not result in something dramatic. So I suspect Win Joy is right that we're likely to see some kind of 'roid rage incident. Maybe it will be triggered by Danny finally admitting to Ed that it was Danny that Karen slept with that spelled the beginning of the end for Ed and Karen's marriage.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
Didn't we see a news report in this episode that North Korea sent an unmanned rocket with supplies? Maybe they'll be able to use those.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
I thought the North Korea rocket was the one that failed and ended up crippling Polaris (the SpaceHotel)?
I just rewatched that scene. Here's what the newscaster said:

"According to sources at the Pentagon, the North Korean space program sent their own unmanned probe to the Red Planet in the weeks prior to the launch of Sojourner 1. The North Korean program has struggled to keep pace with other nations and is still on the defensive after debris from one of their failed rockets brought about the Polaris . . ."

and then the channel changes and we don't hear the end of that sentence. So if it's just an unmanned probe, it probably doesn't have supplies that can be used, but maybe that will be the big surprise of the season. They'll think they're about to die and then they find the landing site of the NK ship and it's got tons of supplies they can use.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
Good point. They sent supplies ahead of the manned mission. I guess the Koreans could be doing the same thing...
In this FAM universe, have we heard whether the North Koreans have even got anything successfully to orbit, let alone to the moon? Seems odd they'd be sending a probe to Mars when they haven't even accomplished those other milestones.

Also, if the US/USSR/Helios ships have been underway for weeks now, would the North Koreans have missed the transfer window if they haven't already launched a manned ship?

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
Now Ed is forever going to be known as the man who could have been first on the moon and first on Mars, but he got too cautious at the last second (even if the caution was entirely warranted).

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
But, the converse would be that she is responsible for the deaths since she gave them the tech.
I don't think that's on Margo. They knowingly pushed their equipment past its capability. That would be like saying Toyota is responsible if I intentionally drive a Camry into a bridge support.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
From Active Military Applicants | NASA is says "If selected, military personnel are detailed to NASA for a selected period of time." so it seems they remain in their military branch while with NASA.
And don't forget that Will (the gay astronaut) was still active-duty Army, which is why his coming out created such a firestorm.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
But did NASA send any kind of drilling equipment on Sojourner? And is the one that Helios was using salvageable?

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
Only 3 episodes left.
  • Will we see a Mars Colony form and declare independence from all Earth governments and corporations?
    • Thereby removing Will from being court-marshals and discharged from the Army
    • And providing protections to those who may be born on Mars.
  • Will we see the downfall of Margo? And will she take down the Wilson Administration?
How will declaring an independent Mars colony remove Will from being court martialed and discharged? They don't have the resources to stay on Mars indefinitely, so if he wants to stay alive, he's got to return to Earth at some point. And unless the Army regulations change between "now" and when he returns, he's going to be discharged.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
OK, but you make it seem like staying on Mars in a really risky, life-threatening situation would be preferable to being discharged from the Army. I say returning to Earth and facing that temporary unpleasantness would be much better than remaining on Mars and trying to survive in an environment that would make it nearly impossible.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
The crews are already spending 2 years in that environment. Lessons learned over that period makes it, even minimally, easier.
But regardless of what they learn by being there, at some point the resources they brought with them will run out. They may figure out a way to grow some food, but that's going to be difficult and probably won't provide enough for all their needs. Basically, the longer they stay there (without resupply from Earth), the more difficult it's going to be.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
I laughed when Kelly threw herself on Ed right at the spot where he just had his surgery.
Yes, if they're going to have Kelly fall on him and hug him like that, they needed to stage that scene differently so she can hug him from his other side. That was painful to watch.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
Kelly - Way too smart to not use birth control and/or a spontaneous sexual encounter.
Supposedly there's a current, real, mandate for astronauts that they have to remain "masters of their domain" due to the potential mess and damage that could be caused by floating semen. So I wonder if there were similar rules in place and therefore the powers that be simply didn't consider that this would be an issue since they had dictated that it was against the rules. Obviously naive and shortsighted, if so, but might explain why Kelly was apparently not on birth control.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
The only "soap opera plot" that bothers me at all is the baby. If your show is not specifically about babies or, slightly more broadly, if it is not specifically a show about raising a family, then adding a baby plotline to the show is NOT A GOOD IDEA.

If I were ever in charge of a writers' room this would be on a giant sign on every wall in the room.
Of course, adding a baby to a Mars expedition is NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Which, I suspect, is the whole point...
As Rob said, this isn't a standard "Let's add a baby to the plot" storyline. This is a very valid addition of "What happens if someone gets pregnant in space? On another planet? What nationality is the baby if the parents are from two "enemy" nations?

Lots to unpack in the penultimate episode:

Earth: Washington DC
  • Loved the parallel to the Nixon administration when erasing the tape. REALLY surprised that Ellen allowed it to remain in use.
How they are ending this I have no idea, but I am along for the ride.
Except remember in this timeline, Nixon wasn't brought down by Watergate, so the Oval Office recording system wasn't publicized. So if (as stated in this episode) the recording system was installed by JFK, it's possible none of the presidents since then have been aware of it, and essentially Wilson is now the one being bludgeoned with the existence of the tapes just like Nixon was in real life - even down to the discussion of "what if some of the tape was just magically erased?"

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
Sorry, I can't go with the POTUS not being aware the recording system was present. IIRC the Nixon's Executive Secretary was in charge of its operation. Those people come with the office holders, they are not career staff.

And, its been a while, and I was a a pre-teen when it happened, but my memory does not recall that Nixon ever asserted that he was unaware of the systems existence. But now that you mention it, I wonder if the break-in or cover-up actually happened in this timeline?
Well, it's kind of immaterial whether POTUS knew about the existence of the recording system in either scenario. The key issue is that Nixon was either unaware, or forgot, or didn't realize that when he discussed illegal things in the Oval, it would create a record that could be discoverable through subpoena. Since that never happened with Nixon in this timeline, they're playing out the same scenario with Wilson. Maybe she knew about the recording devices or maybe she didn't, but either way she and Larry discussed sensitive topics in the Oval, including his sexual dalliances and the possibility of obstructing the Congressional investigation.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
It did, but since he lost the election it didn't matter as much.
He didn't lose. He won in '72 and continued in office until Reagan won in '76. In the FAM universe, Nixon is widely revered as a great president. That's why his picture is front and center above the fireplace in the Oval, with Lincoln and Washington on the sides.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts