TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 17 of 18 Posts

·
Nice to see you
9,683 Posts
I wondered what they were going to do with Apollo 13, and the answer seems to have been to just not mention it, in an episode that focused on the women astronauts' training and the run-up to the Apollo 15 launch -- presumably, in this timeline, the Apollo 13 mission went fine and allowed NASA to continue on their accelerated schedule of Apollo launches.

·
Nice to see you
9,683 Posts
That is, an alternate history where things happened differently and we're supposed to accept it as if it did.
Isn't "things happened differently" the very definition of alternate history?

I want to see if this is addressed at all in future episodes, but timeline divergences should also include divergences in pop culture, so they shouldn't be using pop songs from our timeline anymore. ("Moonage Daydream" in episode 5 seemed acceptable, though, since David Bowie seemed to be occupying a bunch of different timelines anyway.)

·
Nice to see you
9,683 Posts
Maybe technology is better...?
Well, Sony Betamax devices were brought out earlier in the "For All Mankind" timeline -- 1974 if not 1973, versus 1975 in our timeline. (The dialogue in the most recent episode about the Hollywood studios not wanting people to record TV shows does seem to indicate that they're available to the general public by late 1974.)

·
Nice to see you
9,683 Posts
I assume Ed disabled the Russian rover, so the cosmonaut was forced to go to Jamestown.
That's exactly the impression I got (from Ed saying something like "Oh, your rover broke down?" as if he knew exactly what had happened).

So it's December 1974, and they're having the 1976 presidential campaign be in the news -- I think they've forgotten that election cycles used to not be quite as long as they are today. :D At the very least, they could have had Barbara Walters Anchorwoman with a Slight Speech Impediment say something like, "With NASA's recent failures and President Kennedy's sex scandal, there is ]i]already[/i] talk that..."

·
Nice to see you
9,683 Posts
I assume they have plans for Alieda in Season 2 (maybe with an older actor?), since she didn't really add anything to the plot this season. (The show was renewed weeks before it even premiered.)
Total and complete speculation: I've been predicting that, in a future season, she would be the first human on Mars.

On that post-credits scene:

The launch was apparently being broadcast live on TV, so it didn't appear that it was a secret military mission. My guess: a plutonium-powered rocket on its way to Mars. (But I think this would make Alieda a little young to match my prediction.)

The writers/producers may not have decided yet exactly what's going on with that launch, though. It might depend on whether they decide to have the 1976 election result in a Kennedy re-election or a Reagan win.

·
Nice to see you
9,683 Posts
What, no deepfake Pat Sajak making a quip about the space program?

(I'm not familiar enough with identifying "Wheel of Fortune" from 15-second clips to know if that really was an episode it purported to be -- a 1983 episode from the syndicated version -- but it did look correct.)

·
Nice to see you
9,683 Posts
Punk goth may not have been popular until the 90s in this reality.
Granted, I don't think there's been any Joy Division or Bauhaus on the soundtrack, but as far as I can tell, all music in the "For All Mankind" reality is the same as music in our reality... that's been one of my criticisms of the show! (If they do something music-related with the fact that John Lennon is still alive, all will be forgiven.)

·
Nice to see you
9,683 Posts
Interesting that they were able to use actual Dan Rather and Tom Brokaw news footage in this episode -- of course, it winds up making the fake news coverage from other episodes (with actors playing anchors) even more obvious.

They did a really good job of matching NBC's 1983 graphics on the shot of "Sen. Jimmy Carter/(D) Georgia," to the point that I was actually confused for a split-second. "Wait, Carter wasn't a senator after he was president... oh, right."

·
Nice to see you
9,683 Posts
It sounds like, in this universe, the Challenger accident never happened as they caught the faulty O-Ring issue ahead of time.
Since the show is still in 1983, and the Challenger explosion in our timeline was January 1986, I'd phrase this as "the Challenger accident is never going to happen (at least, not due to a faulty O-ring)."

·
Nice to see you
9,683 Posts
S3E1 spoilers begin here...

I contend that, in a timeline in which Gary Hart was a two-term president beginning in 1985, nuclear fusion had begun replacing fossil fuels in many uses, and widescreen flat TVs had become commonplace by 1992, not to mention the Apple Newton being released at least a year and a half "early"...

...grunge rock (and Kurt Cobain's career) would not have developed in the same way it did in our timeline.

·
Nice to see you
9,683 Posts
Sorry, I can't go with the POTUS not being aware the recording system was present. IIRC the Nixon's Executive Secretary was in charge of its operation. Those people come with the office holders, they are not career staff.
Also, President Wilson showed off a DAT cassette, which would have meant that the system had been updated fairly recently, which would have called extra attention to its existence. (Although that update actually might have been during the Hart administration.)

1 - 17 of 18 Posts