TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
I am Groot!
64,361 Posts
Yeah, this show is amazing. I guess when Ronald Moore is tethered to some semblance of reality, it overcomes his storytelling weaknesses (i.e., his tendency to just make ^#%@ up as it suits him, regardless of whether it fits in with anything else).

·
I am Groot!
64,361 Posts
Woah. This show got dark super quick. Lost a ship, almost lost Molly, a dead Cosmonaut not to mention Shane's death. I'm almost turned off by it but I'm going to hang in there.
Plus Margo's career probably over. I doubt NASA can afford to keep her in place after she ordered the astronauts to let Molly die, and they were able to rescue her anyway.

·
I am Groot!
64,361 Posts
Which is dumb, because Margo made the 100% right call.
Although the writers wanted to have it both ways...it was kind of a cop-out to have her make the right call, and then be proven wrong (she didn't say they probably couldn't rescue Molly; she said they definitely couldn't). The way it looks now, she was just plain wrong. And given what a genius she's been portrayed as being in orbital mechanics etc., having her be "wrong" seems, well, wrong. She calculated the Cold Equations, and she should have been proven right.

·
I am Groot!
64,361 Posts
I don't know why it would seem so strange for Pam to be kept informed and want to be onsite for updates as Ellen's best friend. Sure they want to keep Ellen and Pam's romantic relationship a secret, but would be very easy to pass it off as a friend relationship. I guess they had to be careful and being paranoid was part of that.
Although since she (Ellen) had already been investigated for suspicion of gayness, she (Pam) really was playing with fire.

I assume they have plans for Alieda in Season 2 (maybe with an older actor?), since she didn't really add anything to the plot this season. (The show was renewed weeks before it even premiered.)

·
I am Groot!
64,361 Posts
Why is everybody spoilerizing discussion of a scene that was in this episode? It's not a preview; it's a scene.
With the episode making a point to show Reagan, I fully expect the moon to be militarized when we rejoin Jamestown in season 2.
The Russian gave the station an odd look as Edward was blasting off...obviously Edward and Ellen didn't notice anything when they got back, but I wonder...

·
I am Groot!
64,361 Posts
Well, yeah. What is there to indicate otherwise?

I mean, if they'd said "Next season on For All Mankind," I'd concede the point. But they didn't. It was presented as part of this season. And yes, they were using it to tease their plans for next year...but they did it in this episode, so it's fair game.

·
I am Groot!
64,361 Posts
In other TV shows, anything post credits is considered a preview. I was the first person to post about it and as I said, I'd rather err on the side of caution. Plus some people may have missed it since it was post credits, so why not give them an opportunity to go back and see it before reading about it here?
They're considered previews if they're presented as scenes from future episodes. That is not the case here.

·
I am Groot!
64,361 Posts
It's a preview of next season. Previews usually consist of scenes from the future episode.
OK, sorry, I missed the part where they said "Next Season on For All Mankind."

He said, sarcastically.

No, it wasn't a preview of next season. It was the end of this season.

·
I am Groot!
64,361 Posts
except for one scene :)
...which was scripted, filmed, and edited as part of this season, not next season.

Just because some people can't understand the difference between a time-jump and a trailer for future episodes doesn't mean the rest of us should have to pretend we don't either.

·
I am Groot!
64,361 Posts
The USSR's failure to get to the moon can't be attributed to Korolev's death alone. There were failures before and after Korolev's death. Two close-calls, two fatal accidents, and third actually in space. The show never mentions The Chief Designer by name, and I think it's intentional because they didn't want to get mired on the actual turning point.

Alternative history narratives love the "single event/person" altering the course of history. In P.K. Dick's Man in the High Castle, FDR's assassination led to the US isolationism, being stuck in the Great Depression and losing WWII. As much as I love that story, the single person/key event theory always bugged me- because it implies history is simpler than it actually is. It's like believing if Archduke Ferdinand wasn't assassinated, WW1 wouldn't have happened.
That's the Great Man Theory of history. Which is pretty much out of favor among historians for the past couple of generations...

·
I am Groot!
64,361 Posts
...although in that case they seem to be going more with Chaos Theory (the notion that a tiny change can have huge impacts. a.k.a. The Butterfly Effect)...

(The Great Man Theory was named in the 19th Century, when to the extent that women were considered, they were lumped in with men under "Men.")

·
I am Groot!
64,361 Posts
I was wondering why Cobb left her dosimeter behind. It's not like that would prevent her from getting radiation poisoning, or anybody else from finding out.

Then when she got back to the cave, I realize she did it so that we would know she would have been OK if she hadn't gone back for her friend. How thoughtful of her! :D

·
I am Groot!
64,361 Posts
I do question the usefulness of a dosimeter that is only capable of indicating "anywhere from no radiation to just shy of enough to kill you" and "already dead."
Yeah, as I said it served a plot purpose, not a practical purpose.

They did say that the green reading meant you were OK, so maybe there is an intermediate setting that we didn't see?

·
I am Groot!
64,361 Posts
Even if she just gets really sick it has the same effect. But if she got enough so as to just give her cancer a few years later, an exposed dosimeter would ground her forever. It's like standing pat in Final Jeopardy when you are the low man, she's playing the odds.
But that's not the way the dosimeters worked (as they explained them). Green is OK, red is dead. (Which makes no sense, but again, it was for our benefit, not theirs.)

·
I am Groot!
64,361 Posts
My take: if you've watched RDM's earlier show they featured a radiation detector which definitely showed intermediate stages (just different colors). If she came back red they would have sent her back on the next "shuttle" and she probably would prefer to die on the moon.
But I strongly suspect you're putting more thought into it than Moore did. If you watched his public behavior during his earlier show, you know he has nothing but contempt for science & logic, and for people who expect his shows to make use of them. I'm sure the dosimeter was put in as a plot device to let us know she would have been OK if she'd stayed in the cave, and they didn't bother putting in the (five minutes' worth of) work to sell it logically beyond that.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts