TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were watching an already *recorded* show the other evening, when the TiVo Green Thumbs Up to Record icon kept flashing in the upper right corner... and this was during the program not during any commercial for a program. What a distraction!

Fast forwarding, stopping, restarting, rewinding, you name it, didn't remove it.

I finally hit thumbs up and it went away.

So, fellow TiVoers, what gives here? I've never seen that before on a RECORDED show. And, given that we already had a SP to the show, and were watching the very show that presumably the Thumbs Up was designed for, would anything odd have happened by hitting the Green Digit? Anything I better double-check?

Anyone else have this happen? It appears to be an internal programming bug!

·
I'm back!
36,118 Posts
I've seen it during recorded commercials (either to record another show or to get more info on a GMC truck) but if you saw it during the programming with no other explanation I think it must be an error.

·
TakoKichi
11,770 Posts
I saw a thumbs-up while watching a recorded program this weekend. This did catch my eye; I'm not sure I had seen that before.

I do see the thumbs-up occasionally while watching live TV commercials, just not inside a recorded program.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, gee... now I wonder whether it sets a program or not... in other words, if it was the Thumbs Up for a commercial (which we fast forwarded through), could it have set it up to record that show? I'll have to check my To-Do list and see if there are any oddballs in there. Of course, it could also have selected a repeat to record and if we have an SP of new shows, I'll never know without real detective work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This happened to us with a recorded program. The thumb seemed to stay on the screen once I used the 30 second skip while it was on the screen. I simply rewound the the program to that commercial and watched it again. Once I did that it was gone from our show.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uh, duh, like yeah, if we were watching live and a commercial came on, and there was a Thumbs Up icon flashing saying "Record this show, press Thumbs Up" we would know that pressing the Green Monster would probably record the show! :)

(I write probably because sometimes timing or TiVo is off or it doesn't quite do what it says it's going to!)

So real cute reply Mick (I actually chuckled), but if you re-read the thread and various people's posts, you'll see that we were discussing the Thumbs Up showing up during the watching of an ALREADY RECORDED SHOW-- and it showing up during the *regular programming*, not a commercial!

So, Mr. Satire, resident TiVo genius, does it set anything to record in *THOSE* cases? :rolleyes:

My exploration of our To-Do list is that it did NOT! So, it's clearly a glitch. Still, given the uncertainty, I'll go with Clear next time!

·
Registered
28,665 Posts
This happened to us with a recorded program. The thumb seemed to stay on the screen once I used the 30 second skip while it was on the screen. I simply rewound the the program to that commercial and watched it again. Once I did that it was gone from our show.
Same here, it's happened to me once. I guess my ff'ing must have made it miss the end of the show-teaser where the thumbs up were. Just a glitch, no biggie.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's an annoying. Can we either have the option to turn it off, or at least fix the problem so it doesn't happen. I've been seeing the Thumbs Up To Record thing for a long time, but it usually goes away after you skip through the commercial. I've also noticed that this "feature" sometimes causes my TiVo Series 2 to jump ahead 15-20 minutes into a recorded program when fast-forwarding through commercials. What's up with that?

·
Super Moderator
55,339 Posts
TiVoEvan74 said:
Oh, gee... now I wonder whether it sets a program or not... in other words, if it was the Thumbs Up for a commercial (which we fast forwarded through), could it have set it up to record that show? I'll have to check my To-Do list and see if there are any oddballs in there. Of course, it could also have selected a repeat to record and if we have an SP of new shows, I'll never know without real detective work.
Probably not. It's been a while since I've used one of those, but IIRC when you activate one it pops up a dialog to confirm the recording. Pressing the Thumbs Up most likely just brought up the blue info bar, which in turn caused that portion of the screen to refresh and get rid of the left over icon.

Dan

·
formerly TiVoOpsMgr
1,354 Posts
EDIT 3/9: See my later update below, no more e-mails required.

So folks are seeing the Thumbs Up icon appear for longer than a single commercial? If so, this is a bug. Can you please e-mail me ([email protected]) your TiVo Service Number, the show you were watching, and details about when the icon appeared and what happened if you pressed Thumbs Up? Sorry for anyone who was inconvenienced by this.

Best regards,
Stephen

P.S. Also to confirm what was stated earlier, a workaround is to press the "Clear" button on the lower-left of the remote. Please let me know if that doesn't work.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
I think what happens if the thumbs up gets "stuck" when you FF through a commercial. I have seen this several times recently (sorry I don't can't remember a specific show). But I have seen it happen, and if I backup and watch the last commercial, the flag will go away.

·
Funkadelic
3,527 Posts
I saw something weird the other day too... I figured it was a one-time anomaly and didn't bother reporting it - but maybe it's related to the reports in this thread? It started when I clicked thumbs up for an upper right corner Nationwide ad and clicked ok and went through the pitch. Then when I returned to live TV my screen was somehow frozen and seemed to retain the ad. I played around with it for a few minutes and noticed what I thought was a weird shifted layout because of the channel banner which would also sometimes lock into place and not clear. I can precisely remember the order things occurred. I did snap a poor photo:

·
formerly TiVoOpsMgr
1,354 Posts
rainwater said:
I think what happens if the thumbs up gets "stuck" when you FF through a commercial. I have seen this several times recently (sorry I don't can't remember a specific show). But I have seen it happen, and if I backup and watch the last commercial, the flag will go away.
I see. But I think there must be more to it than that, because I forward through thumbs all the time and personally have not seen one get stuck.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.