TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Paul
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the issue of the TiVO remote going flakey? My TiVO is all of a month or so old and I need to press the TV power button sometimes more than a few times for the TV to get the hint and either turn on or off.

All thoughts appreciated....

---Paul in Southern NJ

·
Registered
893 Posts
Apologies if you've already tried this fairly basic fix, but have you tried fresh batteries? Those are pretty classic symptoms of a remote with dying batteries.
If that doesn't fix it, you can check for other IR-emitting devices in the room that could be confusing the TiVo (such as another remote stuck under a couch pillow or something), but I would think you'd see even wackier behavior if IR interference were the culprit.

·
Paul
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its only the "TV Power" button. All other functions work properly, both with the TiVo and TV.

I didn't try it, but I suspect bad batteries would give me problems on more buttons and functions.

Thanks for the suggestions.....

---Paul in Southern NJ

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Might be helpful for us to know the manufacturer and model number of your TiVo.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ah, sorry, didn't realize it was just that one button. Any chance someone spilled something on the remote? I once had to take a remote (not from TiVo) apart to swap it clean after spilling sweetened condensed milk on it, causing some of the keys to stick. (Note to self: always wrap remote in cling wrap when watching TV while baking.)
If your TiVo is just a month old and there isn't any obviously user-inflicted damage to the remote, you could probably get a replacement under warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts