TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've recently decided to take the plunge and buy a Tivo. I thought about it a couple years ago, and then again last Christmas (bonus check time!) and both times decided against it. I've built a HTPC PVR, but my dear and patient wife doesn't feel comfortable using it as easily as I think she'd use a Tivo.

Anyway. I'm 95-100% positive I'll be able to upgrade the storage with no problems, I even have a spare 160gig WD IDE drive in the closet, waiting for a use. But the upgrade may be a few months down the line, depending on the actual use of the Tivo and saved shows. (we have a 2.5 and .5 year old, so children programing will probably find its way on there more than anything if I were to venture a guess right now.)

Which should I buy? The 40hour (gig?) model or the 80hour one based on my future desire for an upgrade in HD size?

Are the units themselves the same, other than the hard-drive? The model numbers tend to lead me to believe they're identical to each other, save for the larger hard-drive.

Do all the new Tivo's available have space to accommodate 2 hard drives, or will it be a replacement of the existing drive?

Should I look at buying another "brand" other than the Tivo brand?

Input on the lifetime service subscription on a unit that will be upgraded in the future would help too. I'm torn between paying the full $300 for the lifetime, or just forgoing the $150 rebate for the year's service.....

As I said, I'm really green here. I think I searched enough of the FAQ's to not duplicate every single question here in those.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I decided to go for it, and bought a Tivo brand TCD540040, 40hour unit. Best Buy had an additional $25 gift card when bought online, but of course, they're backordered there, so I ended up at Circuit City, free shipping there anyway.

I thought about buying it through the Tivo website direct, but then figured if I had problems, returning it to a brick-and-mortar store would be much easier. I also find it odd that on the Tivo website, you can buy the unit with 12-month subscription built in, but not with the lifetime. (which I haven't found "how" I go about buying the lifetime sub for it....)

The only Humax ones I found were the 80 hour ones, and the 40 hour with DVD-RW, which I don't need.

I also suppose if I need to sell it, that is a good thing to have, with the lifetime subscription at least get my money back out of it. But, I don't foresee that happening.

Guess my next stop is somewhere to find about upgrading the thing myself, and I don't even have it in my possession yet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.