TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for those that have both an R10 and an R15:

Currently I don't have a DVR in the bedroom, but I have one on its way from DirecTV and it will be an R15. In preparation for the install, I wanted to check out if there is a noticeable difference in the overall noise levels between the R10 and the R15. I'm thinking if the R10 is quiter than the R15, I might have the R10 moved from the office room to the bedroom and have the R15 installed in the office.

Thanks in advance.
RB

·
Registered
215 Posts
You just need to turn the blue ring off, and maybe put a piece of tape over the bright blue power light. In a regular room, they aren't too bad. I would think in a bedroom they would be a bit too much light.

But the R15 is really quiet - you can't hear it unless you stick your ear physically on the case.

Carl

·
Registered
617 Posts
Actually those are only on when the machine is on. When you hit the power button it goes into standy-by and the lights go off.

·
has gone his way...
11,164 Posts
Yes... I have cracked the case open... (See the R15 review).

There is a fan... but to date.. I have never heard it on yet.

The hard drive also, is EXTREMELY quiet... You need to be nearly right next to the thing to hear it.

The loudest it gets is on the boot up sequence... after that... it is very difficult to hear.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Pauli said:
That's impossible. It must make some sound. Anybody crack one open yet and see which hard drives and fans are in there?
It's not impossible, dude. It's a fact. Yes, there are parts that should make sound, in theory, but the fact is, you can not hear it. Period.

Ricky

·
Registered
133 Posts
DesignDawg said:
It's not impossible, dude. It's a fact. Yes, there are parts that should make sound, in theory, but the fact is, you can not hear it. Period.

Ricky
ALL hard drives make some audible sound -- that's a fact. Even 2.5" notebook drives make some noise. The sound is probably below the ambient noise level in your unit's location, that's all.

If the drive and fan in the R15 are completely silent, then there will be thousands of interested SPCR (SilentPCReview) members that will be damn interested in these things. Many of those SPCR members are absolutely obsessed with quiet computers and they have yet to find any completely silent hard drive.

In any case, I am still very interested in what size and brand of fan and which hard drive these R15s have in them.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Pauli said:
ALL hard drives make some audible sound -- that's a fact. Even 2.5" notebook drives make some noise. The sound is probably below the ambient noise level in your unit's location, that's all.

If the drive and fan in the R15 are completely silent, then there will be thousands of interested SPCR (SilentPCReview) members that will be damn interested in these things. Many of those SPCR members are absolutely obsessed with quiet computers and they have yet to find any completely silent hard drive.

In any case, I am still very interested in what size and brand of fan and which hard drive these R15s have in them.
It's not just a matter of the fan and hd in the machine but also the construction of box that is holding them. While these boxes may not be truely silent (only way for that is no moving parts at all) you do not hear these boxes running. I have an R15 in my bedroom and at night you do not hear it running at all even when recording, I have honestly never heard the fan turn on and the only time I have ever heard the slightest blip out of the HD is while restarting the machine. On avg most laptop hard drives are louder then the most desktop hd's as they have moving parts and their casing is very small. but once you get them in a good solidly built case they quiet down.

I can tell you that my R15 is quieter then all 3 of my TiVo's.

·
has gone his way...
11,164 Posts
Pauli said:

Hard Drive

http://ebonovic.dvrcommunity.com/R15/Images/IMG_010_InsdieHDD.jpg

I don't have a clear shot of the fan, but it is not the make of the fan that makes it low audible..... it is the fact, that I have yet to see it ever turn on.....

·
Registered
133 Posts
ebonovic said:
Hard Drive

http://ebonovic.dvrcommunity.com/R15/Images/IMG_010_InsdieHDD.jpg

I don't have a clear shot of the fan, but it is not the make of the fan that makes it low audible..... it is the fact, that I have yet to see it ever turn on.....
Thanks ebonovic - a quick google search identifies that as a 5400RPM Seagate drive (apparently not available from anywhere in the US). I'd like to get one of these for my Series 2. I have no doubt it is a very quiet drive.

A thermally controlled fan is a great feature for the DVR application. Do you think higher ambient temps during the summer would cause the fan to kick in?

·
has gone his way...
11,164 Posts
It is "possible", but since I keep my in a bedroom, and the house doesn't move much between 67 and 76 during the seasons... I doubt I will see a problem.

The drive is probably a specific OEM production run for these units.
Hence it probably has a corresponding retail number.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts