TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had first posted this problem in "TiVo Premiere DVRs", but I now think "TiVo Upgrade Center" is a better match, so I will redirect to this posting.

history:

In March (2.75 months ago) I was given a working TiVo Premiere XL (model TCD748000) with "Product Lifetime Service".
I got it transferred to my account, with the Media Access Key changed to that of my other TiVos.

This TiVo seemed to be working well, with only two strange things, as I recall them:
- This one is not particularly a problem to me, but it was not the behavior I expected:
There were some existing recordings, which would have had the previous owner's Media Access Key, which I "deleted" - i.e. to the "Recently Deleted Recordings" folder.
I thought they would actually get deleted from there as new recordings filled up the disk, but they stayed and the indicator of disk usage stayed at 94% (I think it was)
and never went to 100% until I manually deleted those recordings from the "Recently Deleted Recordings" folder and more recordings were made.
- This one was an actual small problem for me:
I didn't generally view recordings from this TiVo, but sometimes copied them to a PC or another TiVo to save or view.
Once in a while a copy request would produce a truncated file, with the actual length/time shorter than the indicated recorded program length/time, without transferring
the last part of the program, and without any indication of an error. I had never had this problem with other TiVos. This made me suspicious of disk problems. I have
not noticed this recently, and don't know if has stopped happening, or I just haven't copied a file that would have the problem.

Anyway, I thought it would be a good idea to copy the apparently working disk, at least the TiVo software and structure if not the recordings, to a new disk.
  • I bought a 4TB WD Red Plus (WD40EFZX).
  • I downloaded the MFSTool ISO image (current as of 2022-06-20) and burned it to a DVD.
  • I thought I would have to tear apart the PC enough to get to two SATA interfaces for the old and new disks, and maybe have to create a USB boot "disk" if there were only two SATA interfaces. However, I tried them in a Sabrent USB 2-drive SATA disk nest attached to a USB-2 interface (older Windows 10 system with no USB-3 interfaces), and it appeared to be working, so I used that.
  • CrystalDiskInfo was able to report on S.M.A.R.T. information for both drives. The CrystalDiskInfo report did not seem to show any problems in the S.M.A.R.T. attributes.
(The old drive is a 1TB WD10EVVS, and showed "Power On Count" = 77, and "Power On Hours" = 83575, over 9.5 years! So that is probably the original drive.)

Now for the copying problem:

The command "mfstool copy sdb sdc" produced these error messages:
Copy source: Input/output error reading volume header.
Copy source: sdb10: No such file or directory.

The command "mfstool copy -a /dev/sdb /dev/sdc" produced these error messages:
Copy source: Input/output error reading volume header.
Copy source: /dev/sdb10: Permission denied.

The "Input/output error reading volume header." appears to be a show-stopper, but the S.M.A.R.T. information does not seem to show any read errors.

I've attached a photo of the monitor and commands/results (and a ghostly reflection of me...).

Computer Font Technology Screenshot Terrestrial plant

Questions:

• Did I use MFSTool wrong?
  • Should these error messages be produced using an apparently working TiVo disk?
  • Could there be an MFSTool or PC hardware issue?
  • What should I try now? Maybe forget about copying and request a new image for a 4TB disk with a TCD748000?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have to have root privileges. So you need either sudo or su, or login as root.
Thank you, using "sudo" fixed my error and it seems to have worked perfectly; my Premiere XL now has a 4TB disk.

Of the thousands of forum entries about MFSTools, I had only gotten through 500-600. A comment from 2016
that "The last post is a link to the thread of where you got MFSTools and if you had read on through the pages,
you would have found the user is "root" and password is "tivo", plus what commands to use." made me think that
on booting up an MFSTools DVD I would be in root - not that I would have to change to root for it to work.
My mistake.

This experience makes me think that ideally there would be a pinned and curated forum item about MFSTools
with current "best practice" instructions (and without having any responses allowed directly to that pinned item),
for the benefit of inexperienced users (such as myself).

It also makes me think that MFSTools programs which require being run as root to work usefully (all of them?)
should initially check to see if they are actually being run as root, and if not, immediately exit with a helpful and
unambiguous error message. That would help users who are not already familiar with the subtleties of running
programs in a Unix command-line environment.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
The problem is the people who inhabit this forum and use these tools or maintain the tools are Linux experts who know that access to raw disks require root privileges, and others have done it enough times that if they see an error like that, it's because they need root. Heck, I haven't used the live CD so I can't tell you if the instructions on it say to use sudo or not.

·
der Neuerer
3,437 Posts
Thank you, using "sudo" fixed my error and it seems to have worked perfectly; my Premiere XL now has a 4TB disk.

Of the thousands of forum entries about MFSTools, I had only gotten through 500-600. A comment from 2016
that "The last post is a link to the thread of where you got MFSTools and if you had read on through the pages,
you would have found the user is "root" and password is "tivo", plus what commands to use." made me think that
on booting up an MFSTools DVD I would be in root - not that I would have to change to root for it to work.
My mistake.

This experience makes me think that ideally there would be a pinned and curated forum item about MFSTools
with current "best practice" instructions (and without having any responses allowed directly to that pinned item),
for the benefit of inexperienced users (such as myself).

It also makes me think that MFSTools programs which require being run as root to work usefully (all of them?)
should initially check to see if they are actually being run as root, and if not, immediately exit with a helpful and
unambiguous error message. That would help users who are not already familiar with the subtleties of running
programs in a Unix command-line environment.
Great ideas. MFSTools is housed on Github so feel free to make the necessary changes and have them incorporated into the main branch.

MFSTools certainly needs people who are willing to improve it. Problem is, not many step up as it suits their need and will likely use it only a few times in their lifetime.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pl1
1 - 5 of 5 Posts