TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is ridiculous! I had my tivo working with my wireless adapter at home, and when I brought it to college in fall, I couldn't get it to work for the life of me. In the end, I broke down and got my own router, an Ethernet cable, and a Ethernet to USB adapter. It worked perfectly immediately, and continued to work the whole semester. I brought it home for winter break and used the wireless again, worked great.

But now I'm screwed all over again! I brought it back to campus and plugged it back in to the router with the wired connection. I didn't want to get stuck in guided setup again, so I tested the connection. IT SAID THE CONNECTION WAS GOOD! But as soon as I start guided setup, it gives me N08! WTF! :mad:

So now I am stuck in guided setup. I tried the wired adapter, I tried my wireless one, I used static IP, and turned off everything that could mess it up, I rebooted everything multiple times in multiple patterns, nothing works!

Here is the thing, I know everything is working. I tested the adapters with my computer, I checked the connection from my router and it says its connected. I can even access TiVo2Go and transfer shows, BUT I STILL GET N08! :confused:

Anyone have any clue why its doing this? I need help before I throw it out the window.

· Forum Denizen
2,606 Posts
Crashmaxx said:
N08 error is "Your network adapter has not been setup for use with the DVR".
TiVo has recently confirmed that as part of the adapter setup it will attempt to contact or ping (they havent' said which) the TiVo servers. If this contact fails you will get that message, even if the adapter is in fact correctly set up. They know about it and are working on it.

CuriousMark

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.

But I am stuck for the moment then. I have no phone line here, so even if they did an update to fix the problem I couldn't get it. In fact, I can't do anything till I get it to a phone line or the adapter works.

So is there anything that might be stopping the ping from working? I turned off the router's firewall already, so I'm not sure what else could be keeping it from connecting. Any ideas of settings to try?

· FourNow...WaitFive
2,328 Posts
CuriousMark said:
TiVo has recently confirmed that as part of the adapter setup it will attempt to contact or ping (they havent' said which) the TiVo servers. If this contact fails you will get that message, even if the adapter is in fact correctly set up. They know about it and are working on it.

CuriousMark
*sigh*

TiVo is really sucking lately. Please get bought out soon....at least before you completely implode.

When I first connected it, at the WEP screen it asked if I was entering alpha numeric or HEX, and I chose HEX. Now it skips that and gives me the alphanumeric ouija board. I hope the HEX I'm entering is being understood properly.

Who sells an ethernet adapter without a MAC address on the packaging? I mean, COME ON.

I'm also getting this N08 error. But my other TiVos connect (wired) just fine. So is it something specific to this new adapter that tries to connect stupid like this?

UPDATE: *SIGH* again. Disabled WEP and it works now. Is there some chant I have to do to get the hex input screen to come up again for the WEP key?

UPDATE2: now I see the hex entry as an option....weird. Apparently uppercase is a must--so that might have worked before. Anyway, got WEP working, makes connection.

· Forum Denizen
2,606 Posts
ThreeSoFar said:
UPDATE2: now I see the hex entry as an option....weird. Apparently uppercase is a must--so that might have worked before. Anyway, got WEP working, makes connection.
Glad you got it working.

If you look under the adapter, the MAC addresss is on the bottom of the adapter.

CuriousMark

· Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem. I can see everything including a very good connection at 95% but keep getting a NO8 error. I dont know jargon of WEP and what not, but really need some help. Ive been reading that the new tivo wireless are malfunctioning, i got mine over a month ago and just gave up. is there anything i can do? in terms of HEX stuff, i know i have a ten numbered code i enter. please help a desperate guy.

· FourNow...WaitFive
2,328 Posts
bcmatlak said:
I have the same problem. I can see everything including a very good connection at 95% but keep getting a NO8 error. I dont know jargon of WEP and what not, but really need some help. Ive been reading that the new tivo wireless are malfunctioning, i got mine over a month ago and just gave up. is there anything i can do? in terms of HEX stuff, i know i have a ten numbered code i enter. please help a desperate guy.
It should be more than ten, likely. 128 bit encryption is 32 hex characters.

How many wireless devices do you have currently working on your network?

It might make sense to change your key on every device that is currently working now to something new, make sure that works, then put that in the TiVo adapter.

On my netgear, you can type in any old words, click generate and it gives you hex. I use 128bit, so 32 hex characters.

These are not my keys, btw. I generated new ones. Feel free to use them.

· Forum Denizen
2,606 Posts
ThreeSoFar said:
It should be more than ten, likely. 128 bit encryption is 32 hex characters.
Actually it should be 26 hexadecimal digits for a total of 104bits in the key. That is padded to 128 bits internally prior to use as in 128 bit WEP.

If you have a 10 digit hex key, you can use that too. Ten digits give a 40 bit key that is also padded to produce 64 bit erncryption for 64 bit WEP.

Make sure when entering the hex key into the TiVo that you either use the hex password entry screen or if using the text password entry screen be sure to enter the character based digits in upper case. The TiVo is a bit finnicky about that.

This probably won't fix an N08 error. You will need to try to ignore it and see if everything works all right when it is done despite the error message.

CuriousMark

· Registered
3 Posts
If you're behind a firewall - or if the NetGear is acting as one - make sure it's configured to let pings go through. I have a wired network with a PIX-501 router, and I'd explicitly disabled ping replies coming back from the outside network, but I re-enabled them and now TiVo guided setup was happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.