TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
balboa dave said:
Eureka is a company town. Carter was a U.S. Marshall assigned to the sheriff position by the same government that funds GD, and is still their employee. So why would it be odd?
You misunderstand me. I know why he is investigating the crime--the theft of the device, but why is he working on the solution to the force field problem? that would require people with multiple PHds, who know and understand the physics of the device. He seems like the wrong guy to save Fargo, yet he was the one doing it. No one else was working the problem, except getting the nuke. That's what I was questioning, his working the problem, not his solving the crime.

·
what bomz at midnite
1,718 Posts
Bierboy said:
We have a government installation in my area; the local police do NOT have the authority in investigations on that installation. It really isn't worth getting your panties in a bunch over...this is TV after all :D
But the entire town of Eureka is a U.S. Government installation. Carter was assigned by the U.S. Government to be the law enforcement for that installation. GD is just a more secure part of the same government installation.

Anyway, who cares? The show would really suck if Carter wasn't allowed inside GD.

Allison: "I have to go. There was a shooting spree with a Field Portable Amplified Focused Light Bio Terminator at Global Dynamics?"

Carter: "A what?"

Allison: "Field Portable Amplified Focused Light Bio Terminator"

Carter looks confused.

Allison: "A Death Ray"

Carter: "Why didn't you just say so? Can I go?"

Allison: "Nope. Your just the Sheriff. You can't go. Global Dynamics is a top secret Government Facility."

Carter: "Crap! All the good stuff happens at Global! All I ever get to do is make kids clean their math homework off the sidewalk!"

·
well rounded
3,130 Posts
Church AV Guy said:
You misunderstand me. I know why he is investigating the crime--the theft of the device, but why is he working on the solution to the force field problem? that would require people with multiple PHds, who know and understand the physics of the device. He seems like the wrong guy to save Fargo, yet he was the one doing it. No one else was working the problem, except getting the nuke. That's what I was questioning, his working the problem, not his solving the crime.
Actually, I wasn't replying to you, but to what I guess what was a smeek of your question. You kind of answer your own question though, if you just think about it in a different order. The official GD reply was to nuke Fargo since it worked before, and there was no further discussion. Everyone was resigned to that solution and gave up hope. But not our hero, the sheriff, so he intervened to find another solution. He rallyed the troops, as it were.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
EvilMidniteBombr said:
Also, you would think as smart as all of these people at GD are, that they would be able to back up their computers a little faster than 8 hours. I'm just sayin'
It was a backup and full audit. I've been through a few inventory audits in my time. The fact that they can do it in 8 hours with no human intervention is pretty impressive. ;)

·
what bomz at midnite
1,718 Posts
pkscout said:
It was a backup and full audit. I've been through a few inventory audits in my time. The fact that they can do it in 8 hours with no human intervention is pretty impressive. ;)
IIRC they couldn't do an inventory until the computer was back online. Isn't that why Carter & Jo had to search the hard copy vault?

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
EvilMidniteBombr said:
IIRC they couldn't do an inventory until the computer was back online. Isn't that why Carter & Jo had to search the hard copy vault?
It was my understanding that they couldn't access the inventory until the computer was back up. Carter said the old guy had to do something because the reboot and audit would have shown all the stuff he took.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Fl_Gulfer said:
If they Nuked the last guy, How did they get the Force Field Generator seems to me it would have got Blown Up! ??? Since the creator quit after that.
Secondary or back up prototype I suspect. When they killed the first guy they stored the prototype and labeled in Red.

·
Drew != Drawn
4,862 Posts
Sherminator said:
Also did anybody else think Doctor Who - The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit, when they opened and looked down the shaft?
Not me, because I watched Eureka last Tuesday, but only watched that Doctor Who episode last night on DVD. ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Rob Helmerichs said:
Or more to the point, think straight.

But obviously you knew that. :D
In real life, my brother works with a group of PHds in the computer storage industry. He claims that some of these people cannot tie their own shoes....or more correctly, don't recognize when they need to tie their shoes. Too much high level thinking, as you said. Now I am sure they are very intelligent, but sometimes the old common sense is what is called for.

·
All About Footwork
31,940 Posts
Allison should have been fired...she made the wrong decision even though it turned out ok...

that fat guy sure put some distance between him and Jo !

·
record this
514 Posts
Bulldog7 said:
In real life, my brother works with a group of PHds in the computer storage industry. He claims that some of these people cannot tie their own shoes....or more correctly, don't recognize when they need to tie their shoes. Too much high level thinking, as you said. Now I am sure they are very intelligent, but sometimes the old common sense is what is called for.
i feel like this is so true and i have heard about and seen people like this a million times. i think that is part of why the quirk is so believable on the show...because it is so easy to accept that these people can be brilliant...yet do stupid things.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
Anubys said:
Allison should have been fired...she made the wrong decision even though it turned out ok...

that fat guy sure put some distance between him and Jo !
Err, sort of. Except that they kept thinking about the deadline the wrong way. They said 4 hours was the limit because at 4 hours the force field would be big enough to destroy Global Dynamics, and then shortly the town.

But the real deadline limit would be when the force field was too big to drop down the shaft. So it should have been the result of a calculation based on the force field's rate of growth (or the acceleration curve of the rate of growth). The idea is to keep working until you reach your minimum safety margin to drop Fargo and set off the nuke. Not to run to an arbitrary time limit.

So Alison could claim (semi-plausibly) that she was there keeping an eye on the force field size, and would have ordered the use of the nuke if the force field had begun to approach the size of the shaft diameter. And that the "4 hour deadline" was a handy, but imprecise way of referencing this actual deadline, based on prior experience.

·
Poster of News
35,621 Posts
they weren't real clear on how one picks up the forcefield and all. I wish we could have seen that. l

As far as the bathroom break...wasnt he just in there when he turned the thing on? He didnt eat or drink during those 3-4 hours so i just thought it was odd he had to go so quickly.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,523 Posts
OK, that's the third thread (that I've seen) in this forum in the last two days that was bumped from several months ago with the bumper's first-ever post. Seems very strange.

·
Curmudgeon
3,003 Posts
I assume people are going over previous seasons to prepare for upcoming seasons, in shows like this. Eureka's been inserted into SciFi's marketing engine gearing up for the next season, so it's not unreasonable.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.