TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
dvr4me said:
Not yet.

People have been successful with swapping the internal drive with a larger drive however. See this thread.
And it's easy if you have a computer with a couple of empty SATA ports, doesn't take much time, you don't have to put up with cables to and external box, the external box, power supply to the external box, etc. My 500 gig WD bumped my HD recording time up to 70 hours. I'm happy. Plus the WD 500 was only 90 bucks shipped (newegg deal since expired but I'm sure there will be more.)

Gary

·
Registered
6,631 Posts

Upgraded with Seagate 750Gb DB35 using WinMFS (w/o Supersize option)

It took me 15 minutes to find a screwdriver that would fit the TivoHD, about five minutes to remove the existing drive from the Tivo, five minutes to find a spare SATA cable, two minutes to open my PC, four minutes to connect and backup the existing drive, four minutes to restore the image to the new higher-capacity drive, and another five minutes to install the new drive in the TivoHD.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,322 Posts
bkdtv said:
It took me 15 minutes to find a screwdriver that would fit the TivoHD, about five minutes to remove the existing drive from the Tivo, five minutes to find a spare SATA cable, two minutes to open my PC, four minutes to connect and backup the existing drive, four minutes to restore the image to the new higher-capacity drive, and another five minutes to install the new drive in the TivoHD.
for those folks that are math-challenged.. that's about 40 minutes ;)

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
drew00001 said:
What is the supersize option?
By default, the Tivo software allocates ~10% of the drive capacity for Tivo promotional downloads. Spike2k5 recently added an option in his WinMFS upgrade software to eliminate that.

Had I used that "Supersize" option, I guess I would have around 108 HD hours instead of 98.

·
Registered
311 Posts
bkdtv said:
By default, the Tivo software allocates ~10% of the drive capacity for Tivo promotional downloads. Spike2k5 recently added an option in his WinMFS upgrade software to eliminate that.

Had I used that "Supersize" option, I guess I would have around 108 HD hours instead of 98.
Why didn't you use it? Seems to be a good option.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
drew00001 said:
Why didn't you use it? Seems to be a good option.
He just added that option to the software this past week. I upgraded before then.

I'm also still not clear on the consequences of the change. What happens to a "supersized" box when Tivo tries to download promotional videos?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
bkdtv said:
He just added that option to the software this past week. I upgraded before then.

I'm also still not clear on the consequences of the change. What happens to a "supersized" box when Tivo tries to download promotional videos?
Spike said on the mfslive.org forums that there should be no issue. But had to know that without knowing more of the logic involved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.