TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this be "do able" when the eSata port gets turned on for the series 3 HD Tivos?

1. Copy my entire DVD collection to an external eSATA hard drive enclosure

2. After all these movies have been copied to this hard drive using my home computer, my DVD drive, and some software.

3. Plug the external eSATA drive into the eSATA port on the Tivo

4. Click on the Tivo menu & actually brows all my DVD movies via the Tivo interface & my external eSATA drive.

5. Watch my DVD movies!!


Is this just pie in the sky or will we be able to do this relatively "soon"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,042 Posts
IT won't work like that at all. You will need to rip and convert your movies and then transfer them to your TiVo over a network.

TiVo uses a completely different file system than your PC. The eSATA drives are not designed to be used as a transfer medium, they are simple a means to increase overall storage capacity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
supasta said:
IT won't work like that at all. You will need to rip and convert your movies and then transfer them to your TiVo over a network.

TiVo uses a completely different file system than your PC. The eSATA drives are not designed to be used as a transfer medium, they are simple a means to increase overall storage capacity.
Bummer =(

I REALLY wanted to be able to put my whole DVD collection on an external drive and then watch them from there. But even if the eSATA port was a "storage extender" it would still be nice to put my entire DVD collection on my Tivo.
 

·
Dr_Diablo
Joined
·
885 Posts
I'd rather use the external drive to store movies that I presently do not have...

Or possibly as an backup to that DVD, would make sense...

It boils down to the present copyright laws that are in play...

I had a software program that made a perfect copy of my "personal use only" DVD's until the company that created this software was sued by the movie industry, out of business...

Just how much money does any one need to acquire in a lifetime?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,357 Posts
techie714 said:
Would this be "do able" when the eSata port gets turned on for the series 3 HD Tivos?

1. Copy my entire DVD collection to an external eSATA hard drive enclosure

2. After all these movies have been copied to this hard drive using my home computer, my DVD drive, and some software.

3. Plug the external eSATA drive into the eSATA port on the Tivo

4. Click on the Tivo menu & actually brows all my DVD movies via the Tivo interface & my external eSATA drive.

5. Watch my DVD movies!!

Is this just pie in the sky or will we be able to do this relatively "soon"?
If Tivo lives up to expectations then perhaps by the end of the year you can use TT2CB (the reverse of TivoToGo) and Tivo Desktop to play ripped DVD movies on your Tivos. You would have to convert VOB files to single .mpg files though as at least Tivo Desktop does not understand VOB file structure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
techie714 said:
Bummer =(

I REALLY wanted to be able to put my whole DVD collection on an external drive and then watch them from there. But even if the eSATA port was a "storage extender" it would still be nice to put my entire DVD collection on my Tivo.
you have a pm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
there are the tivx kind of boxes that are essentially hard drive enclosures that have A/V out and can play mpg and divx files. I have one on order from the East that will take up to a 750GB drive and has component out and remote control.

You put your hard drive in, plug into your PC via USB2 and then plug into your tv. The only pain is having to move the box back and forth from your pc to put new shows/movies to the tv you want to play it on.

On our main 42" I already have an HP slimline MCE that I use for this, but for the $200 ($100 hard drive, $100 for enclosure) I thought this would be great for having a portable media jukebox that can be used not only on our other TV's, but when we travel or bring to a friend's house as well.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top