TiVo Community Forum banner

eSATA announcement soon?

7322 Views 41 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  richsadams
Caught this on the lastest TiVo newsletter:

P.S. ConfidEntial to my enthuSiAstic TiVo Series 3 and TiVo HD subscribers (And you know who you are): Keep an eye on your Inbox for a special announcement (or two, ahem) over the next couple of weeks.

Note the capital ESATA
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
stluser said:
Note the capital ESATA
Nice catch. A saw the e-mail and figured that and TTG/MRV were what were being alluded to, but didn't pick up the ESATA embedding.
Excellent.
No idea how you spotted that!
eSATA is enabled as soon as you get the 9.2 upgrade.

TTG/MRV will come with 9.2 & will be turned on sometime in November.

TGC
TexasGrillChef said:
eSATA is enabled as soon as you get the 9.2 upgrade.

TTG/MRV will come with 9.2 & will be turned on sometime in November.

TGC
Has anyone w/v9.2 actually attempted a P&P install on an S3 or THD? There are a couple of posts where people w/v9.2.j tried it and it did not work.

EDIT: It appears that the trial version of the latest upgrade, v9.2.j is the only one being distributed at this time. We just received it at 3:59 p.m. Thursday Oct. 18th. Our eSATA drive is still working just fine. :up:
richsadams said:
Has anyone w/v9.2 actually attempted a P&P install on an S3 or THD? There are a couple of posts where people w/v9.2.j tried it and it did not work.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370629

I tried to install my Western Digital MyBook 500GB eSATA External Drive. It detects it (and identifies it by specific model number no less), but tells me it "won't set this device up." It then tells me to go to http://www.tivo.com/expand for further details.

If I have to buy a Tivo "brand" external drive just to get this service to work, I'm going to be VERY VERY ANGRY.
TokyoShoe said:

I tried to install my Western Digital MyBook 500GB eSATA External Drive. It detects it (and identifies it by specific model number no less), but tells me it "won't set this device up." It then tells me to go to http://www.tivo.com/expand for further details.

If I have to buy a Tivo "brand" external drive just to get this service to work, I'm going to be VERY VERY ANGRY.
According to your other posts you actually have v9.2.j, not v9.2. v9.2.j is a trial version of the latest upgrade, not the final version. That it's actually acknowledging the drive, by model number is a good sign though.

It may well be that the final version will have eSATA enabled for any external HDD. However IMO that is highly unlikely since there are too many variables (including too many different kinds of drives, enclosures, etc.). I suspect when it is enabled it will be for a few "blessed" or TiVo branded HDD's that they will support (only).

That doesn't mean that other drives such as yours and the one we have already installed cannot be added with the existing hacks:

Current TiVo HD eSATA drive instructions.

Current S3 eSATA drive instructions.

Have some patience.
See less See more
You can assume that the "j" release candidate will be functionally identical to the final release. That is the way it has been in the past.
jlib said:
You can assume that the "j" release candidate will be functionally identical to the final release. That is the way it has been in the past.
So they have added eSATA support that doesn't support eSATA drives....
I agree with richadams. I wouldn't worry about your currently enabled external drive. Users should discern the difference between the eSATA port working as now and the purported plug'n'play support of specific TiVo branded or more likely just TiVo verified solutions provided by certified partners. There has been no suggestion from any credible source that currently working kickstart or MFSlive/WinMFS hacks will suddenly stop working. Granted, users have proceeded at their own risk and responsibility the last six months or so but the critical mass of users now attaching external storage is so great TiVo has to take into account currently attached external drives.

If they had not desired this grand "beta test" they would have disabled capability at the very beginning. Unsupported functionality allows plausible deniability (think 30 second skip). Homemade solutions will just be identifiable on the system info screen and therefore at TiVo and you simply won't get any support for any external hard drive problems. The most notable factors that will apply to the officially sanctioned solution besides ease of use is that they will probably be noticeably more expensive and of unimpressive capacity. I'll take instead a WD 1TB Green drive in an Antec case any day!
See less See more
I noticed this on the priority software request service update page on the TiVo website:

For TiVo Series3 & TiVo HD DVRs the latest release also enables the use of a TiVo Verified storage device. (COMING SOON)​

Note the: "a TiVo Verified storage device".
saeba said:
I noticed this on the priority software request service update page on the TiVo website:

For TiVo Series3 & TiVo HD DVRs the latest release also enables the use of a TiVo Verified storage device. (COMING SOON)​

Note the: "a TiVo Verified storage device".
That's the part that scares me, Saeba.

And yes, I realize this release is only 9.2J.. some interation of a test version. However, based upon research of previous releases like this and Tivo's normal testing methods, it is very unlikely that there will be any functional difference between 9.2j and the final version 9.2. And I want to make sure my perspective is clear on this. I'm not trying to 'throw a hissy fit' or anything just because I can't upgrade my toy. It's not even that I bought an external storage solution that won't pair up with my TivoHD since eSATA got enabled.

My primary point here: They enabled eSATA support, but then actually ... didn't enable it for use with any current normal eSATA drives. The message I get isn't an ERROR message, it's an UNSUPPORTED message. It tells me that I need don't have a supported solution, and directs me to a Tivo webpage. I fully expect they are going to announce Tivo Branded drives that we will end up having to buy if we want it to work.

Trust me, I hope I'm wrong. I hope I am just aggrivated over nothing. But given the track record that Tivo has (that can easily be researched on the forums here), things aren't looking real optimistic for me. Yes I hope they just need to "flip a switch" when 9.2 Final is released and it will enable all eSATA devices. I don't expect it to happen, however.
See less See more
TokyoShoe said:

And yes, I realize this release is only 9.2J.. some interation of a test version. However, based upon research of previous releases like this and Tivo's normal testing methods, it is very unlikely that there will be any functional difference between 9.2j and the final version 9.2. And I want to make sure my perspective is clear on this. I'm not trying to 'throw a hissy fit' or anything just because I can't upgrade my toy. It's not even that I bought an external storage solution that won't pair up with my TivoHD since eSATA got enabled.

My primary point here: They enabled eSATA support, but then actually ... didn't enable it for use with any current normal eSATA drives. The message I get isn't an ERROR message, it's an UNSUPPORTED message. It tells me that I need don't have a supported solution, and directs me to a Tivo webpage. I fully expect they are going to announce Tivo Branded drives that we will end up having to buy if we want it to work. Or it could be a list of retail ESATA drives that Tivo has "verified" will work with an HD Tivo, and thus, they are able to support, whereas a BYOD device will be "use at your own risk" (as is currently the case).

Trust me, I hope I'm wrong. I hope I am just aggrivated over nothing. But given the track record that Tivo has (that can easily be researched on the forums here), things aren't looking real optimistic for me. Yes I hope they just need to "flip a switch" when 9.2 Final is released and it will enable all eSATA devices. I don't expect it to happen, however.
I think its a safe bet that the category "Tivo Verified storage devices" is not coextensive with the category "any current normal eSATA drives." They are probably going to do partner-branding, though, and not "Tivo-branded." I could be wrong, but that's my guess. When they first debuted the Series3 at CES in 2006, they had an ESATA drive attached that was very obviously a WD My Book device. So "Tivo verified" could be a variation on WD's "Mr DVR Expander," or it could be co-branded ("My Book Tivo Edition").

The bottom line is that it is very highly doubtful that most solutions we on this forum have implemented will be "officially" supported. But that doesn't mean that they won't still work. It's possible that Tivo will only automagically recognize and activate the verified devices, but that the hack methods will still work.
See less See more
I used WinMFS to add an external 1TB drive to my TivoHD last night (which is running 9.1). I'm sure 9.2 wouldn't add it via the Tivo interface, but I've read nothing so far that suggests it will DISABLE a working external drive.
Joybob said:
So they have added eSATA support that doesn't support eSATA drives....
No, they added the capacity for eSATA P&P support. It is currently not functional. Just as MRV is not functional on S3's and THD's but the support is there. It will be enabled when they decide to enable it.
Revolutionary said:
<snip> The bottom line is that it is very highly doubtful that most solutions we on this forum have implemented will be "officially" supported. But that doesn't mean that they won't still work. It's possible that Tivo will only automagically recognize and activate the verified devices, but that the hack methods will still work.
Exactly. :up:

TokyoShoe said:
Why?

TokyoShoe said:
My primary point here: They enabled eSATA support, but then actually ... didn't enable it for use with any current normal eSATA drives.
Your premise may be incorrect is all. They may not have enabled eSATA support at all. The response message is meaningless at this point. We know eSATA drives work currently, just not P&P expansions.

TokyoShoe said:
I'm not sure what research you're relying on, but there's no evidence that TiVo won't do what they say they're going to do...offer eSATA support, quite the contrary. In addition there's no evidence that they will disable the existing methods of adding eSATA drives or the existing drives in use.

Try to relax...one way or another it will work out...as jlib and Revolutionary have suggested, it just may take a little more effort on your part to make it so if you don't want to buy into TiVo's way of doing it.
I called TiVo about this and they told me to use the 500 gig MODEL: WDG1S5000N
Price $199.99 from the Western Digital site -- it is made as a DVR expander.
J :D
TokyoShoe said:

You shouldn't need to...

I have the same drive as you do, it took 6 attempts to get the drive to work...
richsadams said:
Exactly. :up:

Why?

Your premise may be incorrect is all. They may not have enabled eSATA support at all. The response message is meaningless at this point. We know eSATA drives work currently, just not P&P expansions.

I'm not sure what research you're relying on, but there's no evidence that TiVo won't do what they say they're going to do...offer eSATA support, quite the contrary. In addition there's no evidence that they will disable the existing methods of adding eSATA drives or the existing drives in use.

Try to relax...one way or another it will work out...as jlib and Revolutionary have suggested, it just may take a little more effort on your part to make it so if you don't want to buy into TiVo's way of doing it.
We may have spoken too soon :(: spike2k5 says Kickstart-62 was removed for Series3 boxen in 9.2j. He doesn't say whether mfstools will still work on either platform... MFSLive method for adding eSATA to the THD now is the only option for both platforms.
Revolutionary said:
We may have spoken too soon :(: spike2k5 says Kickstart-62 was removed for Series3 boxen in 9.2j. He doesn't say whether mfstools will still work on either platform... MFSLive method for adding eSATA to the THD now is the only option for both platforms.
And so it goes. Drat them for dealing with us hackers!! :mad: ;)
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.