TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
55,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know VideoReDo has been recommended before by myself and several others, but now it deserves an even bigger recommendation! Why? Because the newest beta build has the ability to edit .tivo files directly. Complete with automatic commercial detection. :up:

Not only that but they have also added a feature which automatically adds NAV packets when you output the file as a VOB. That means the files will work directly with dvdauthor without the need to remux. Which means you can now make a DVD from a .tivo file in 3 easy steps without transcoding! (it'll be non-compliant but will still play in the majority of DVD players)

1) Open .tivo file in VideoRedo, edit and output as VOB

2) Import VOB into dvdauthor front end such as DVDStyler and output as an ISO image

3) Burn ISO using your favorite burning software or DVD Decrypter.

Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, I just tried it and it works great! The trial+beta version lets you do 30 minutes. Costs $50 to buy.

I'm a Mac person who happens to have a PC too. Here's what I did to burn a TiVo recording to DVD using DVDSP4 (via VideoRedo):

I downloaded the recording using TiVo Desktop on the PC. Then I edited the .tivo directly using VideoRedo. Next I saved the video as .mpv and .mpa from VideoRedo and imported those right into DVD Studio, set up the DVD and burned! DVDSP gave me a warning that the track wasn't DVD compliant and will not play on all players but it works on my set top DVD players.

Still not a perfect method for Mac users since you need a PC. But it's nice being able to get files that import so easily into DVDSP.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If after trying the videoredo trial version, and I decide I like it, do i just need to buy the registration key?, or do I need buy the whole program and uninstall the trial and re-install the new version?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Denvers Dawgs said:
If after trying the videoredo trial version, and I decide I like it, do i just need to buy the registration key?, or do I need buy the whole program and uninstall the trial and re-install the new version?
You just need to input the registration key into the trial version. If you downloaded the beta version than that is all that you need to do, if not, then you will need to download the beta version and install it over the registered version.

·
Banned
4,176 Posts
This is wonderful news ; I already own an older version of VideoRedo. This will save a lot of time.

On a related subject: Ever hear of a DVD player that plays MPEGs saved on DVD media - in addition to playing JPEGs/MP3s, etc.?

·
Registered
944 Posts

·
Banned
4,176 Posts
Dan203 said:
Most of the lower end players by manufacturers like Apex will do this, as well as the majority of the ones that play Divx.

Dan
I'll have to look into that. Is it just a matter of using Windows to copy the file to the DVD in the DVD writer drive? What about multiple files or folders?
Do disks have to be finalized somehow?

·
Extreme Tech Weenie
37 Posts
As soon as I saw this thread, I downloaded VideoRedo and started playing with it. I'd say the commercial detection is pretty darn good - it hasn't missed anything yet, only it's hit a few "false positives". If the show has text overlays (e.g. "Five years later...") I think it marks those but it's very easy to hop to each marker and check. It drops the markers in then you decide whether to cut the section(s) out or not.

I also downloaded DVDStyler and used that to author a DVD using 3 VOB's created by VideoRedo and dumped to an ISO. I don't have a DVD burner in that machine yet (it's on a UPS truck somewhere between Hodgkins, IL and here right now ;) ) so I'm copying the ISO to my other PC with the burner and will try burning it with Nero. I don't anticipate any problems...this was a *very* easy process and I will probably buy VideoRedo, it's fast and simple.

·
Extreme Tech Weenie
37 Posts
Sweet - I just burned my first DVD using this process and it was quick and painless. The only time consuming part was removing the commercials and they were so well marked that I can't complain. I put three episodes of a show on a DVD with a nice menu much easier than anything I've tried to do just using Nero. Thanks! :up:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have Nero Ultra 6.0 and MyDVD. I've used MyDVD many times to make dvds of tivo'd shows. I'd like to try VideoReDo because of the time savings. However, I'm clueless about how to save an edited video in VideoReDo (I know how, just don't know what to save it "as", and once I save it "as" something (ISO, VOB, MPV/MPA), how to import it and use it in the DVD authoring program. Can someone lay out the steps?

·
Extreme Tech Weenie
37 Posts
duckjones said:
Does VideoReDo allow you to create image stills?
Yes, but so far I'm not impressed with the quality of the stills...although I'm not sure I can blame the software, the video quality isn't great to start with.

·
Extreme Tech Weenie
37 Posts
dmlove51 said:
I have Nero Ultra 6.0 and MyDVD. I've used MyDVD many times to make dvds of tivo'd shows. I'd like to try VideoReDo because of the time savings. However, I'm clueless about how to save an edited video in VideoReDo (I know how, just don't know what to save it "as", and once I save it "as" something (ISO, VOB, MPV/MPA), how to import it and use it in the DVD authoring program. Can someone lay out the steps?
Look in this thread - I wrote out the way I've been doing it last night:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=279847

·
Registered
4 Posts
I LOVE THIS THREAD!

I have a Toshiba with DVR-R - Weekneek hard drive upgraded

If I burn a show directly 2 hours is done in 15 min

If I copy a 30 Min show form the Toshiba to the PC usingTiVoDesktop 1 hour
If I burn from PC to DVD using Nero takes 1.5 hours
So my total time in geting a show from TiVo to DVD on PC is 3 hours for half hour show.

Is this typical?

Also is there anyway to expose the hard drive in the Toshiba so I can have at the data in a Windows folders. That way a copy would take lots lets time to get a copy from the Toshiba to the PC!

Are there any hacks out there?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.