TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Registered
From beautiful Springfield Oregon
76 Posts
So why would anyone want an Edge when they have a good bolt or Roamio?
I wanted an All In package. I am tired of paying monthly for something that I'm going to keep as long as I can. My thinking was that I'd get a new device (thing it would be an improvement over the Bolt) and pay once for the All In guide and this was the cheapest way I have found.

· Registered
6 Posts
I got my Tivo Bolt Vox in January, after "ditching the dish" (dish network), and dumping TWC (now Specturm) over 7 years ago. I bot my Tivo to "cut the cord". I was, and am so tired of all their games, gimmicks, and constant price increases. Living in the LA area, with my Tivo Bolt, that I swapped out, myself, the 500GB HDD for a 1TB HDD, I get over 100 English speaking stations due to most broadcasters having a HD primary broadcast and 2 - 5, or more "sub-broadcasts", in SD. The only "network" I can't get FREE, OVER the AIR, is MSNBC, as I like the Morning Joe program. So I don't pay a cable or satellite bill ANY MORE, and only pay $5.00 a month for NBC Peacock, that includes my Morning Joe program.

Although the Tivo offer for the Edge ONLY for Cable sounds like a nice deal, I DO NOT want to have to PAY a cable or sattelite bill EVER AGAIN, so a Cable ONLY Tivo Edge does NOT interest me in the least. I thought that in order to get the recordings to play at 30% faster, that I needed to get a Edge, but happily discovered my Bolt Vox, already does that. Additionally, the Tivo Edge, for cable ONLY has TWO tuners, while me Bolt has 4 Over the Air tuners. I am quite content with 4 tuners, the 1TB Hard drive I swapped in, and NEVER paying for TV service EVER again. I did make sure that when I bought my Bolt, that I paid for Lifetime Guide Subscription, as that can definitely cost a lot, each year, otherwise.

I am SO done PAYING for TV, and getting stations that are available in better HD, as they are not "processed" by a cable or satellite provider to "banded" together for better transmission, FREE, Over the Air, than the greedy distributors - cable & satellite providers.

Of course, if you don't live in a major metro area, and are limited in what stations you can pick up, Free, Over the Air, you may NEED a cable or satellite provider, and this might be a good deal. I just hope that at this amazing price, that the offer a reasonable "Lifetime Subscription" and not an ever, ongoing, monthly, or yearly subscription fee.

Even though I bought my Tivo Bolt for Over the Air ONLY, IF Tivo offered the Edge, for $99.00 for Over the Air, AND had the same 4 tuners, AND allowed a ONE TIME, Lifetime Guide Subscription, I would consider "upgrading" to the Edge. Save that happening, I am SO much more than content with my 4 tuner, 1TB, Tivo Bolt. I had heard of Tivo for years, it wasn't until my 3rd price increase with dish, in just over a year, that I had had enough and looked into both the Amazon device (replay, I think it is called), and Tivo. I only wish I had made the switch 5, or more years ago, and saved likely over $1,000 dollars by now.

I am a "happy camper" with my Tivo Bolt, Over the Air, 4 tuner, and upgraded 1TB HDD.
I hear you. I spend $375/mo for Optimum Gold and also Tivo, Netflix, & Hulu. It's getting crazy but I do believe you need cable service just to get a cable card so it defeats the purpose.

· wait.. I did what?
15,546 Posts
but I do believe you need cable service just to get a cable card so it defeats the purpose.
Well, yes, of course, what do you think you would use a CableCARD for without cable service? That's literally it's only purpose in life...I don't see what purpose it defeats?

Reactions: OregonRider

· Registered
191 Posts
Well as luck would have it, my Bolt Vox hard drive died today after 2.5 years (it was a refurb replacement for previous failed Bolt hard drive). Anyone had recent luck getting them to replace a failed Bolt with an Edge for less than their current deal as of 5 November?

I've replaced internal hard drives on other Bolts but can't find the 2TB Toshiba anymore except for Weakness which is charging exorbitant price for theirs. I can also replace failed hard drive with an external kit if TiVo doesn't want to make a deal on a new Edge.

· Registered
191 Posts
1TB Toshiba MQ01ABD100V is available at Amazon for $31
2TB Toshiba MQ03ABB200 is available on Ebay from China for $56
Thanks. I had a look. These may be the only options to replace internal drive with compatible drive. I've previously replaced drive in a Bolt (not this one with failed 3TB) with the 2TB Toshiba listed and it works great. Don't know about the Amazon 1TB drive. I also have an external drive kit I purchased from TiVo forum owner. Just waiting to see what TiVo says regarding options.

If I can get an Edge for Cable, All In, at a good price I might take it. If they don't require return of dead Bolt, I might put a new drive in and keep for backups since my record with 3TB Bolts is about two years before they start flashing and fail.

· Cheesehead
11,788 Posts
my record with 3TB Bolts is about two years before they start flashing and fail.
Don't say that. ;) I put a 3TB Toshiba in my Bolt 39 months ago. I hope it doesn't fail anytime soon. I do have the original 500GB drive to drop back in, but I've got 1.5GB of recordings I'd lose. (not really worth backing up, but still...)

· Registered
191 Posts
Don't say that. ;) I put a 3TB Toshiba in my Bolt 39 months ago. I hope it doesn't fail anytime soon. I do have the original 500GB drive to drop back in, but I've got 1.5GB of recordings I'd lose. (not really worth backing up, but still...)
Wish you luck with your 39-month 3TB Toshiba. It has lived well beyond mine.

Unfortunately, I've been through three 3TB Bolts since 2017. Each had hard drive failure (four flashing lights) somewhere between 18-23 months. TiVo back then replaced each at no cost because I'd purchased the now defunct 2-year extended warranty for $35. Had to send each back to keep from getting charged full price. I recall having to pay the $35 extended warranty fee each time one failed.

Now, my current 3TB Bolt Vox (third of 3 replacements) has failed at 3 months beyond its 2-year extended warranty. TiVo doesn't want to replace it with a 2TB Edge unless I pay the current online price with advertised discount. I spoke to one CR and their supervisor today. They won't budge. That's business and TiVo has no obligation, other than good will, to do anything different. So I'll wire my broken TiVo with an external drive kit I have in reserve and move on.

I did drop a 2TB 2.5inch Toshiba drive into a Bolt a friend gave me when their hard drive failed. It's now my primary TiVo until I get my main Bolt back up to speed. I learned long ago that I needed a backup TiVo, especially Bolts, if I didn't want to lose all stored programming every couple of years.

· Cheesehead
11,788 Posts
I did drop a 2TB 2.5inch Toshiba drive into a Bolt a friend gave me when their hard drive failed. It's now my primary TiVo until I get my main Bolt back up to speed. I learned long ago that I needed a backup TiVo, especially Bolts, if I didn't want to lose all stored programming every couple of years.
My primary TiVo is a Roamio Plus with a 3TB drive. I've also got a TiVoHD with a 1TB drive. Both 3.5" replacement drives are older than my Bolt's 3TB, the former by 3 years, the latter by 6, but I'm more concerned about my Bolt's 2.5" drive. Besides posts on TCF, that tended to be the first failure point with my old work laptops that had 2.5" HDDs, too.

Ah, what the heck. I've just started backing up some recordings that I don't want to lose to my server with kmttg. I just decrypt, leaving them as mpeg-2. Transcoding to mp4 is too dang slow. Storage is cheap. :)

· wait.. I did what?
15,546 Posts
should I buy one of the Toshiba's to use as backup on my TiVo Bolt? it's been running for 5 years w/o issues.
I have 2X Toshiba drives in my parts bin as spares for my Tivo's, great drive and easily worth the $100 I spent on them.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts