TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Xfinity is our cable/internet provider and everything I have read on these boards says it will be "a few years" before Xfinity stops supporting CableCards.
Yes it will be a few years before Comcast ends support for CableCards, but try and get one today. They are no longer buying them, most offices have none in stock, and they will just tell you they are no longer providing new CableCards. Once they transition to DOCSIS 4.0, all TiVo units will cease to function. Now when that transition happens will vary wildly from area to area, but Comcast came through our area a few weeks back and did all the last mile network transition needed for the upgrade. I am making plans to get off my TiVo and would never consider a new unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just received this email from TiVo: "For a limited time, BOLT users can now upgrade to TiVo EDGE for Cable for $99.99 + subscription fees. Take advantage of this amazing upgrade offer to enjoy the next generation of TiVo product and experience apps, live TV and a DVR inside one seamless way to find, watch and enjoy it all. With a 30-day money back guarantee, including free shipping and returns, it's the perfect time to upgrade to EDGE."

With tax and first month subscription ($14.99) the total is $124.23. I have a few questions for the board. Is anyone else familiar with this offer? If so, do you see any indication that a current BOLT device must be sent back to TiVo? When I see the word "Upgrade" I take that to mean I have to send them a used Bolt in order to get the discounted price for the Edge but I am not seeing that verbiage on the offer or at checkout. I'm not sure why they use the term "upgrade" if you can keep an existing Bolt.

With regard to the Edge...I've read some not very favorable comments about its quality on these boards. My intent is to replace an old Premiere with this Edge, assuming the feedback here recommends doing so.

So, bottom line...is this a good deal?

Thanks in advance.
I got my Tivo Bolt Vox in January, after "ditching the dish" (dish network), and dumping TWC (now Specturm) over 7 years ago. I bot my Tivo to "cut the cord". I was, and am so tired of all their games, gimmicks, and constant price increases. Living in the LA area, with my Tivo Bolt, that I swapped out, myself, the 500GB HDD for a 1TB HDD, I get over 100 English speaking stations due to most broadcasters having a HD primary broadcast and 2 - 5, or more "sub-broadcasts", in SD. The only "network" I can't get FREE, OVER the AIR, is MSNBC, as I like the Morning Joe program. So I don't pay a cable or satellite bill ANY MORE, and only pay $5.00 a month for NBC Peacock, that includes my Morning Joe program.

Although the Tivo offer for the Edge ONLY for Cable sounds like a nice deal, I DO NOT want to have to PAY a cable or sattelite bill EVER AGAIN, so a Cable ONLY Tivo Edge does NOT interest me in the least. I thought that in order to get the recordings to play at 30% faster, that I needed to get a Edge, but happily discovered my Bolt Vox, already does that. Additionally, the Tivo Edge, for cable ONLY has TWO tuners, while me Bolt has 4 Over the Air tuners. I am quite content with 4 tuners, the 1TB Hard drive I swapped in, and NEVER paying for TV service EVER again. I did make sure that when I bought my Bolt, that I paid for Lifetime Guide Subscription, as that can definitely cost a lot, each year, otherwise.

I am SO done PAYING for TV, and getting stations that are available in better HD, as they are not "processed" by a cable or satellite provider to "banded" together for better transmission, FREE, Over the Air, than the greedy distributors - cable & satellite providers.

Of course, if you don't live in a major metro area, and are limited in what stations you can pick up, Free, Over the Air, you may NEED a cable or satellite provider, and this might be a good deal. I just hope that at this amazing price, that the offer a reasonable "Lifetime Subscription" and not an ever, ongoing, monthly, or yearly subscription fee.

Even though I bought my Tivo Bolt for Over the Air ONLY, IF Tivo offered the Edge, for $99.00 for Over the Air, AND had the same 4 tuners, AND allowed a ONE TIME, Lifetime Guide Subscription, I would consider "upgrading" to the Edge. Save that happening, I am SO much more than content with my 4 tuner, 1TB, Tivo Bolt. I had heard of Tivo for years, it wasn't until my 3rd price increase with dish, in just over a year, that I had had enough and looked into both the Amazon device (replay, I think it is called), and Tivo. I only wish I had made the switch 5, or more years ago, and saved likely over $1,000 dollars by now.

I am a "happy camper" with my Tivo Bolt, Over the Air, 4 tuner, and upgraded 1TB HDD.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Once they transition to DOCSIS 4.0, all TiVo units will cease to function
JFC! I googled "DOCSIS 4.0 cablecard" and I found the following document:

Tivo and Hauppauge are the only members of the "FCC Downloadable Security Technical
Advisory Committee" who might be on our side! No mention of SiliconDust nor Ceton.

EDIT: I should note that the cable companies (aka "Cable Labs") have been trying to convince FCC that a "downloadable security module" would be better than the CableCARD for MANY YEARS, but none of the players involved have agreed to a technical standard.

Refer to this link:

·
Registered
121 Posts
most offices have none in stock, and they will just tell you they are no longer providing new CableCards
I'm on Spectrum (fka Time Warner Cable/Brighthouse Networks). It's true that they don't have any in their local offices, but they will ship one to you. I just moved to this area in Jan 2022, and it was no problem to get a CableCARD delivered.

I came from the Washington DC area, and when I moved there in 2020, it was the same... Comcast shipped a CableCARD to me because they didn't have them in the local offices.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Regarding the 99 dollar deal for a new Edge DVR:

The only advantage I can see about an Edge vs. a Bolt is that the Edge doesn't have the stupid curved case design (really, WTF were they thinking when they made that curved/bent case???).

In every other respect, they are identical. Well... except that the Edge is available with a 2TB drive instead of the max 1TB that came with the Bolt. But... if you search my other posts... you'll see how easy it is to upgrade the Bolt to as much as 16TB.

·
Registered
6 Posts
<snip> Additionally, the Tivo Edge, for cable ONLY has TWO tuners, while me Bolt has 4 Over the Air tuners. I am quite content with 4 tuners, the 1TB Hard drive I swapped in <snip>
My Bolt Vox died last month, it lasted just under 3 years. Some people said the Bolts have a hard drive problem (while others have had their box for many years), so I chose to upgrade to the Edge for Cable and am very happy. NOTE: The Edge for Cable has 2TB hard drive and 6 tuners - not what CAPilot says. I was offered a brand new Bolt for $99, but wanted the great discounted deal with an upgrade to the Edge. Easy set-up, no problems at all so far.

·
TiVowner since 1999
1,429 Posts
In every other respect, they are identical. Well... except that the Edge is available with a 2TB drive instead of the max 1TB that came with the Bolt. But... if you search my other posts... you'll see how easy it is to upgrade the Bolt to as much as 16TB.
Not taking sides, but just to set the record straight, here's what Ted Malone (one time TiVo VP) had to say about the differences between the Edge and the Bolt, as reported by Dave Zatz:

"Main differences are faster CPU (BCM 7278), more RAM (4GB vs 3GB on BOLT), USB 3.0, Dolby Vision. Also, we will be able to support Dolby AC4 audio natively, where on BOLT we would have to do this decode on the CPU. […] Air flow is dramatically improved vs. BOLT [yet] it should be much quieter."

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My new Edge arrived earlier today as promised. The setup went without issue. And thennnnnnnnnn it was time to activate the CableCard that I moved from the now retired Premiere to the Edge. I tried to do it online but they couldn't find my account and I was instructed to contact a CableCard expert and an 877 number was provided. My call was answered by a female with a heavy accent (Philippines?) who kept calling me Meesta Yo. When I told her I was calling to have a CableCard activated, it was obvious she needed some time to refer to a script so she asked me how my day was, blah blah blah. Long story short, she could not find the reference she was looking for to assist me and I finally asked to talk with a supervisor. Her exact reply: Oh, I so sawwy you want supavyza. Yes, unfortunately, all supavyza busy with a utter stuff now. If I unnastan you cowectly, you need help with a cablecard, that's a c-a-b-l-e c-o-r-d. Eez that cowect meesta yo?" I said "No. I need help activating a cable CARD. That's c-A-r-d. Cable CARD" She actually giggled and said she was sorry for the mistake. I looked at my phone timer and it read 12:26. So for more than 12 minutes this person who is supposed to be a CableCard expert thought I was calling for help with a cable CORD. The good news is, she did ask for all three pieces of required data and my cableCARD was activated within a minute or two_Oh, and I took your advice Diane and said nothing about the card initially being in a different device. So, thank you again for that.

Anyway, all good for now. I've been playing around with it for a few hours and, so far anyway, I'm not seeing any difference in performance between this Edge and either of our Bolts. Thanks again everyone for the great feedback and advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just received this email from TiVo: "For a limited time, BOLT users can now upgrade to TiVo EDGE for Cable for $99.99 + subscription fees. Take advantage of this amazing upgrade offer to enjoy the next generation of TiVo product and experience apps, live TV and a DVR inside one seamless way to find, watch and enjoy it all. With a 30-day money back guarantee, including free shipping and returns, it's the perfect time to upgrade to EDGE."
The deal I got today:
TiVo Package, All-in service plan $ 299.99
TiVo EDGE $99.00
Total: $ 399.98

21 - 29 of 29 Posts