TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received this email from TiVo: "For a limited time, BOLT users can now upgrade to TiVo EDGE for Cable for $99.99 + subscription fees. Take advantage of this amazing upgrade offer to enjoy the next generation of TiVo product and experience apps, live TV and a DVR inside one seamless way to find, watch and enjoy it all. With a 30-day money back guarantee, including free shipping and returns, it's the perfect time to upgrade to EDGE."

With tax and first month subscription ($14.99) the total is $124.23. I have a few questions for the board. Is anyone else familiar with this offer? If so, do you see any indication that a current BOLT device must be sent back to TiVo? When I see the word "Upgrade" I take that to mean I have to send them a used Bolt in order to get the discounted price for the Edge but I am not seeing that verbiage on the offer or at checkout. I'm not sure why they use the term "upgrade" if you can keep an existing Bolt.

With regard to the Edge...I've read some not very favorable comments about its quality on these boards. My intent is to replace an old Premiere with this Edge, assuming the feedback here recommends doing so.

So, bottom line...is this a good deal?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I just received this email from TiVo: "For a limited time, BOLT users can now upgrade to TiVo EDGE for Cable for $99.99 + subscription fees. Take advantage of this amazing upgrade offer to enjoy the next generation of TiVo product and experience apps, live TV and a DVR inside one seamless way to find, watch and enjoy it all. With a 30-day money back guarantee, including free shipping and returns, it's the perfect time to upgrade to EDGE."

With tax and first month subscription ($14.99) the total is $124.23. I have a few questions for the board. Is anyone else familiar with this offer? If so, do you see any indication that a current BOLT device must be sent back to TiVo? When I see the word "Upgrade" I take that to mean I have to send them a used Bolt in order to get the discounted price for the Edge but I am not seeing that verbiage on the offer or at checkout. I'm not sure why they use the term "upgrade" if you can keep an existing Bolt.

With regard to the Edge...I've read some not very favorable comments about its quality on these boards. My intent is to replace an old Premiere with this Edge, assuming the feedback here recommends doing so.

So, bottom line...is this a good deal?

Thanks in advance.
It may be a good deal as far as price but I would never buy another Edge again. To me, it seems like the Bolts were the last of the reliable DVRs that TiVo made. I've only had one Edge and it has more problems than my previous TiVo DVRs I've purchased in the past.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I received this as well, however I have never owned a Bolt. I really can't bring myself to do it since it seems that cable cards are all but dead in the not so distant future.
Xfinity is our cable/internet provider and everything I have read on these boards says it will be "a few years" before Xfinity stops supporting CableCards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Bolt died as I was leaving for a trip for 2 weeks, but I knew I wanted to get another tivo. I ended up buying an Edge using the Summer99 code which I thought was a better deal as I get tivo service for $99 for the life of the unit (code is good through 9/30/22). My original bolt only lasted 6 months, so I thought $99 was a good deal because if this thing dies in 6 months, I'm not really out any money and everything after that is borrowed time ;o)

Tivo did give me a refurbished Bolt for free and that lasted 5.5 years, so I got my money's worth out of it. And now they have Continual Care which I think is a fair deal when your device dies you get a certain amount off your replacement.

My Edge arrived on Saturday, 2 days ago. So far, so good. However because my Bolt died, I lost all my stuff so I have to remember what shows I watch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My Bolt died as I was leaving for a trip for 2 weeks, but I knew I wanted to get another tivo. I ended up buying an Edge using the Summer99 code which I thought was a better deal as I get tivo service for $99 for the life of the unit (code is good through 9/30/22). My original bolt only lasted 6 months, so I thought $99 was a good deal because if this thing dies in 6 months, I'm not really out any money and everything after that is borrowed time ;o)

Tivo did give me a refurbished Bolt for free and that lasted 5.5 years, so I got my money's worth out of it. And now they have Continual Care which I think is a fair deal when your device dies you get a certain amount off your replacement.

My Edge arrived on Saturday, 2 days ago. So far, so good. However because my Bolt died, I lost all my stuff so I have to remember what shows I watch.
What I periodically do is take a picture of my One Pass Manager. I use it as a reference in case I ever have to replace the unit or do something stupid like reset it. I do the same with my phone and my start screen in Windows. That way I can always recreate my layouts in the event of a rebuild or replacement on my various devices.

There's also an app called TV Time available for Android, IOS, and Windows that I use to track all the shows I watch and allows you to check them off as they are watched, notify you of when new episodes/movies are coming up etc. So I have it as a backup as well.

·
TiVowner since 1999
1,433 Posts
I must be in the minority. Since the Edge was released, I've owned 4 of them, 2 cable and 2 OTA, and I've had far fewer issues with them than I've had with 3 Bolts over the years.

My two cable Edges are still working in new homes, AFAIK. My two OTA Edges have been trouble free for over a year.

Hope I haven't jinxed myself now! :)

·
wait.. I did what?
15,143 Posts
Does anyone know if I can transfer the CableCard in my Premiere to the Edge when it arrives? If so, is that handled by phone with Xfinity?
One way or another you will need to get the CableCARD paired to the new unit, be that via web or phone with Xfinity.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I must be in the minority. Since the Edge was released, I've owned 4 of them, 2 cable and 2 OTA, and I've had far fewer issues with them than I've had with 3 Bolts over the years.

My two cable Edges are still working in new homes, AFAIK. My two OTA Edges have been trouble free for over a year.

Hope I haven't jinxed myself now! :)
Well, this is good news. And yeah, I hope you haven't jinxed us! The Edge arrives this Thursday. Fingers crossed. Hopefully, the CableCard transfer/pairing goes well.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One way or another you will need to get the CableCARD paired to the new unit, be that via web or phone with Xfinity.
I'm just not sure if I have to have Xfinity unpair it from the Premiere first or if I can just pair it to the new Edge and Xfinity will see that it's already paired with another device and walk me through the unpairing-repairing process. Or, if I have to get a new card for the Edge.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,143 Posts
I'm just not sure if I have to have Xfinity unpair it from the Premiere first or if I can just pair it to the new Edge and Xfinity will see that it's already paired with another device and walk me through the unpairing-repairing process. Or, if I have to get a new card for the Edge.
Don't call them for the unpair, it will just confuse them, move it to the new unit and make sure they ask you for ALL THREE sets of data, if they only ask for 2 it will fail.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't call them for the unpair, it will just confuse them, move it to the new unit and make sure they ask you for ALL THREE sets of data, if they only ask for 2 it will fail.
Thanks Diane. Just so I am clear on what the steps are. Move the card from the Premiere and then call them to have it paired with the Edge? And I should get it paired before powering up the Edge, is that correct?

·
wait.. I did what?
15,143 Posts
Thanks Diane. Just so I am clear on what the steps are. Move the card from the Premiere and then call them to have it paired with the Edge? And I should get it paired before powering up the Edge, is that correct?
It's not hugely important, but generally it's power up the new unit sans card, go through setup and say " I'll install a CableCARD later" to make sure it works, let it run for a day or so, then if you're happy, power down both units, swap the card into the Edge, boot it up, call Xfinity's CableCARD line and have it paired, make sure they ask for all three sets of ID numbers, if they tell you they don't need them all, it won't work and they don't know what they're doing.

Reactions: cwoody222

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's not hugely important, but generally it's power up the new unit sans card, go through setup and say " I'll install a CableCARD later" to make sure it works, let it run for a day or so, then if you're happy, power down both units, swap the card into the Edge, boot it up, call Xfinity's CableCARD line and have it paired, make sure they ask for all three sets of ID numbers, if they tell you they don't need them all, it won't work and they don't know what they're doing.
Got it. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts