TiVo Community Forum banner
1841 - 1860 of 2640 Posts

· tivo_xml developer
1,817 Posts
What is the TiVo Media Access Key?
Unique 10 digit number that allows transferring content from a TiVo to a PC. You can find yours on a screen in your tivo settings (sorry, I'm unsure where exactly it's currently found on newer tivo units), or online at TiVo's website: TiVo Media Access Key

· in the other Alabama
20,956 Posts
What is the TiVo Media Access Key?
From TiVo.com:

Your Media Access Key is: xxxxxxxxxxxx

This key allows TiVo Desktop software on your PC or TiVo Desktop software on your Mac to access the recordings on your TiVo box.

To learn more:

How to transfer shows to your PC or Mac

Please DO NOT SHARE THIS KEY with anyone outside your household.

As a friendly reminder, your TiVo service agreement prohibits you from distributing copy-protected content.

Please visit www.tivo.com/policies for more information

A lot of old stuff there.

· Registered
4,310 Posts
But how do I get it? I'm signing in to TiVo.com as soon as it sends me a temporary password. I haven't used it in a while so I don't even remember what my password is.

· Registered
4,310 Posts
What I do have is a list of my three DVRs. Each one has "Video sharing" checked and I can tell from the date which one is which. I just don't know how to get shows from any of them to the PC because the logo to click on to get to the pytivo software disappeared after I got the error message.

· Registered
4,310 Posts
I tried downloading and installing again and it looked like it was doing more until it couldn't do anything because files were already in use. I also kept getting "verify pytivo is running and try again." I don't know how to verify pytivo is running. It never got past that point.

· Registered
4,310 Posts
I don't understand what happened. During the installation process I got an error message and I did what it said and then was told I shouldn't do that. So I didn't. Or maybe I did. Meanwhile, there's nothing to help me solve this problem.

· Registered
4,310 Posts
Unable to execute file: access is denied. That's after trying to download this three times. My computer is no longer under warranty and while I've had similar things happen, I've never been able to get them corrected.

· Registered
27,640 Posts
Unable to execute file: access is denied. That's after trying to download this three times. My computer is no longer under warranty and while I've had similar things happen, I've never been able to get them corrected.
What I might suggest (can be helpful when things go south): shut your PC down and then start it up again, and start over again. If you think that there might have been a glitch with the original pyTivo Desktop software download, download it again. And then try installing it again.

One thing you may not have noticed with pyTivo Desktop, which may have affected you earlier when you tried to reinstall the program: it actually has 2 parts, the user interface desktop that you see with your shows on it and the settings, and the underlying engine that is represented by an icon in your system tray. The problem you had earlier with trying to reinstall the program may have been caused because while you may have closed the desktop UI, the underlying engine still is on and running--you need to close that separately, by right-clicking on the icon in the system tray and choosing exit. Only then is pyTivo Desktop closed down.

Also, your media access key (MAK): if you haven't gotten to it at your TiVo account at the TiVo website, it's also available through your TiVo boxes' settings--try on your Roamio/Bolt under TiVo Central/Settings & Messages/Help/Account & System Info/Media Access Key (you have a single MAK for all of your TiVo boxes).

Hopefully, this can help get you running here. :)

· Registered
4,310 Posts
I got my Media Access Key as soon as I signed in to the TiVo web site, and I also saw where I could get it when I changed my settings on the Series 2.

It says the folder already exists and asks if I want to install there anyway. This time I'm not going to assume.

But if I wait for an answer I might be here a while.

· Premium Member
6,467 Posts
Where are you trying to install it? All of the access denied messages make me think that you're trying to put it under the "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folder, which are locked down pretty hard on Windows 7 and above. Programs like pyTivo or kmttg should be installed in a folder off of the root like C:\pyTiVo to avoid those issues.

· Registered
27,640 Posts
Unable to execute file. CreateProcess failed; code 5. Access is denied.
Are you fully out of pyTivo Desktop, as mentioned above? (Go into your system tray at the bottom right of your computer--if the pyTivo Desktop icon is there, right-click on it and choose exit. Otherwise, go into our computer's Task Manager (ctrl-shift-esc to open it), look for all instances (often, 2 or 4) of pyTivo there (under Background processes), and end those tasks.)

· Registered
4,310 Posts
I don't know what any of that stuff means, but when I click on "Start' and click on "Pytivo" I get a message that the item has been changed or moved so the shortcut will not work properly. Do I want to delete the shortcut?

When I click on "Pytivo desktop" it tells me to verify pytivo is running and retry.

· Registered
27,640 Posts
Where are you trying to install it? All of the access denied messages make me think that you're trying to put it under the "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folder, which are locked down pretty hard on Windows 7 and above. Programs like pyTivo or kmttg should be installed in a folder off of the root like C:\pyTiVo to avoid those issues.
At least on my PC, pyTivo Desktop is installed in my C:\Program Files (x86) folder without any issue.

I do have Windows 10's ransomware protection feature turned on, and I often find that I need to turn it off temporarily to install a new program (under Windows Settings/Update & Security/Windows Security/Virus & threat protection/Manage ransomware protection).

· Registered
4,310 Posts
At least on my PC, pyTivo Desktop is installed in my C:\Program Files (x86) folder without any issue.

I do have Windows 10's ransomware protection feature turned on, and I often find that I need to turn it off temporarily to install a new program (under Windows Settings/Update & Security/Windows Security/Virus & threat protection/Manage ransomware protection).
I don't see any such option but when I clicked on something thinking I would get more information, it opened my McAfee protection.

1841 - 1860 of 2640 Posts