TiVo Community Forum banner
1821 - 1840 of 2629 Posts

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
First time pyTivo Desktop user here. Tivo Desktop had been working really well for ages with my Premiere, but I generally lost visibility to my PC recordings on my downgraded Bolt, and last week I lost the ability to see any recordings on the Tivo from Tivo Desktop and spent a fruitless half-day trying to fix it. Such a damned pile! kmttg 2.4j is working great for downloads, and pyTivo Desktop is letting the Tivo see things again, and both worked perfectly the first time. Thanks for this software!
pyTivo Desktop is just great. :)

As to TiVo Desktop, had you updated its certificates? They had expired and TiVo hasn't updated them. A wonderful forum member here updated them and made them available to others. Here's the post, in case this is new to you and you might want them for TiVo Desktop.

"Now Playing List Not Available"

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,598 Posts
last week I lost the ability to see any recordings on the Tivo from Tivo Desktop
What may have happened is the certificates expired.

·
TiVo Fanatic
904 Posts
Just installed this yesterday, and definitely much easier than the old way, however, McAfee VirusScan says it contains viruses in pytivotray.exe & tivolibre.exe...??

McAfee quarantined pytivotray.exe, and tried to quarantine tivolibre.exe but got an error that it couldn't delete it.

Since I saw it was from you, Dan, I felt I could trust it, so I still ran and used it, and had no problems transferring to/from. I just have to start pyTiVo.exe manually first before starting the Desktop.

If I delete tivolibre.exe will it still work? I'm assuming not.

Do you know why TiVo thinks there's a virus in these two programs? See attached images.

Thanks!

Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology Software

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Technology

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,598 Posts
TivoLibre is used to decode shows, it can work without it, but that leaves your shows coded and not in .MPG or .MP4 format.

These files should be safe and virus programs disabled during download/install.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,826 ·
pytivotray.exe is a python script packaged with pyinstaller. The source is available on my GitHub repo if you want to see it.

tivolibre.exe is actually just the same tivolibre.jar you can download from it's GitHub release section, just packaged as an exe using jar2exe.

I packaged these as exes, along with the other components in the app, to eliminate all requirements to have the right version of python and java installed on the system. The runtime engines are packed into the exe as well so they can run completely independently of what is/isn't installed on the system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dan, thanks for your "easier to use pyTivo" contrib. I just upgraded from a Series 2 to a Bolt VOX and was looking for a way to rescue a modest library of about 60 recordings from the Series 2 before its subscription was dropped.

Although I am not entirely sure of the appropriate pyTivo configuration for persisting the Series 2 recordings for viewing on the Bolt VOX, I went ahead and installed pyTivo on my Windows 2008 R2 server and configured a dedicated Tivo folder on my NAS for the old recordings. pyTivo is chugging away on the 3-recording queue I selected at a transfer rate of just over 3.5Mb/sec, a relatively low transfer rate for a 100Mb LAN which is probably constrained by the slow S2 processor.

Reading through the forum postings here, I get the impression that the hydra API does not allow recordings to be pushed onto the Bolt VOX, so my plan is to leave the files resident on the NAS and served up by plex, pyTivo, or some other video streamer visible to the Bolt.

If you, or anyone else sees anything errant in this approach, can suggest a better alternative, or can clue me into some required pyTivo configuration parameter I may have overlooked, please let me know as I am admittedly flying pyTivo somewhat blind.

Thank again for developing and making pyTivo available.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,598 Posts
Series 2 transfer speeds are really slow due to its processor. Each Series is a little faster than the last.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,831 ·
Series 2 transfer speeds are really slow due to its processor. Each Series is a little faster than the last.
Actually not quite. The 540 series units, which were the 3rd in the S2 line, were actually the worst. Even slower than the original 140 units that only had USB 1.1 ports on them. It was kinda like the Premier units of HD, so slow it was barely usable even in the UI. I think it was probably actually worse than the Premiere units in fact. (the 540 series includes Toshiba DVD burner units and both Humax DVD units) The DT units were the first ones with really decent TTG speeds and included built in Ethernet. (no USB dongle required)

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,598 Posts
I had the 540 and transfers was about 2-3mb/s using the wireless G.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,833 ·
I had the 540 and transfers was about 2-3mb/s using the wireless G.
The wireless G adapter had some special hardware in it that offloaded some of the processing from the unit. It was TiVo's attempt to fix the problem. The Wireless B adapter, and Ethernet adapters, ran much slower.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Actually not quite. The 540 series units, which were the 3rd in the S2 line, were actually the worst. Even slower than the original 140 units that only had USB 1.1 ports on them. It was kinda like the Premier units of HD, so slow it was barely usable even in the UI. I think it was probably actually worse than the Premiere units in fact. (the 540 series includes Toshiba DVD burner units and both Humax DVD units) The DT units were the first ones with really decent TTG speeds and included built in Ethernet. (no USB dongle required)
Between my Toshiba Series 2 TiVo box (the one with the DVD burner) and my sucky home network speeds, days to transfer a drive full of shows. But, was ok--you just need the days. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
The wireless G adapter had some special hardware in it that offloaded some of the processing from the unit. It was TiVo's attempt to fix the problem. The Wireless B adapter, and Ethernet adapters, ran much slower.
I have moved from a Wireless network to Ethernet over Powerline to make it a hard wired connection to my TiVo units and my router. This has made a world of difference with transferring shows between TiVo units and off loading them to my PC. On the Wireless network the playback would stutter and struggle to stay ahead of the transfer. Now on the hardwiring full 1 hour shows transfer in about a minute and a 2 hour movie is about 2 minutes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just reinstalled Windows on a fresh SSD and am having problems getting PyTivo Desktop working. I downloaded a fresh copy of 1.6.16 and installed it. Configured everything. Started the tray app, then desktop. It loads the list of files on the Tivo. From the Tivo, I find the Windows Share in the My Playing list. Go to it and select a file to download It accepts my selection and "appears to start downloading", but the blue light never comes on and the download stays at 0% until it finally times out.

Regular PyTivo works fine. If I manually start PyTivo desktop using File Explorer to start PyTivo.exe, then Desktop\PyTivo Desktop.exe, it also works correctly. So, ffmpeg, et. al. are launching correctly.

So, the failure occurs only when starting PyTivo from the Windows start menu which then starts the tray app and pytivo service. If this helps, after making settings changes, the PyTivo Desktop can never restart the server. It only stops it and I have to manually start it again. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,837 ·
I have moved from a Wireless network to Ethernet over Powerline to make it a hard wired connection to my TiVo units and my router. This has made a world of difference with transferring shows between TiVo units and off loading them to my PC. On the Wireless network the playback would stutter and struggle to stay ahead of the transfer. Now on the hardwiring full 1 hour shows transfer in about a minute and a 2 hour movie is about 2 minutes.
For anything newer than a S2 DT (including any DT unit) hard wired it the way to go. Much faster! But for the older units that required a USB adapter the wireless G adapter was the fastest as it included some extra hardware that took some of the load off the main CPU.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,838 ·
I just reinstalled Windows on a fresh SSD and am having problems getting PyTivo Desktop working. I downloaded a fresh copy of 1.6.16 and installed it. Configured everything. Started the tray app, then desktop. It loads the list of files on the Tivo. From the Tivo, I find the Windows Share in the My Playing list. Go to it and select a file to download It accepts my selection and "appears to start downloading", but the blue light never comes on and the download stays at 0% until it finally times out.

Regular PyTivo works fine. If I manually start PyTivo desktop using File Explorer to start PyTivo.exe, then Desktop\PyTivo Desktop.exe, it also works correctly. So, ffmpeg, et. al. are launching correctly.

So, the failure occurs only when starting PyTivo from the Windows start menu which then starts the tray app and pytivo service. If this helps, after making settings changes, the PyTivo Desktop can never restart the server. It only stops it and I have to manually start it again. Any suggestions?
Likely antivirus or firewall related.

1821 - 1840 of 2629 Posts