TiVo Community Forum banner
1741 - 1760 of 2630 Posts

·
Super Moderator
59,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,741 ·
I believe this name was a configuration option in pyTivo in the pytivo.conf file. I haven't installed pyTiVo Desktop yet so not sure of the best way to configure it this with Dan's version.

[Now Playing on HERRONWHS]
type=video
path=D:\shares\Videos

FYI, regarding your disappearing issue. I haven't had that issue here with TiVo Desktop and Windows 10 using Bonjour except when the PC is configured for sleep mode (I disabled that for my laptop when plugged into AC power).

Scott
In Desktop you setup shares. The name displayed on the TiVo is the name of the share.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,640 Posts
In Desktop
There is confusion here between Tivo Desktop and PyTivo Desktop.

Perhaps we should nickname it PyDesktop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK I feel really dumb. I've recently "upgraded" to a Bolt from a Premiere and because of transferring shows and having issues with the new interface when I started digging around for answers I found pyTivo Desktop. I was able to download a file from my Bolt but for the life of me I can't figure out how to upload a file to the Bolt. Can someone point me to instructions for uploading from my PC to the Bolt?

I've been a Tivo user since 1999 and haven't played around with transferring videos since the series 2 days. Things have come a long way since then.

I'm using win 10 Pro and the latest version of pyTivo Desktop. Everything is on the same subnet, Tivos can see each other.

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
One of the wonderful new features Rivo is offering is that you can't do that anymore.

At least for now it is possible to say "no thanks" and revert to a previous system with the simultaneous advantage of destroying all your old programs! You can find that by searching Hydra sucks, or probably better on Hydra downgrade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seriously? The reason I went down this path to begin with was the removal of a specific feature(of many), namely playing all the videos in a folder. This new interface is so horrible I'm seriously considering ditching Tivo altogether. It's bizarre. They've been getting better and better over the years and now they suddenly want to look like Netflix, Roku or some crappy cable DVR. It's a giant leap backwards.

How on earth did this crap get approved?

·
Super Moderator
59,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,747 ·
Seriously? The reason I went down this path to begin with was the removal of a specific feature(of many), namely playing all the videos in a folder. This new interface is so horrible I'm seriously considering ditching Tivo altogether. It's bizarre. They've been getting better and better over the years and now they suddenly want to look like Netflix, Roku or some crappy cable DVR. It's a giant leap backwards.

This is the key. The retail market is dying, due to technical limitations and lack of government intervention. So their only hope of surviving is getting in with MSOs and becoming a cable DVR. I think Hydra is 100% a response to that plan. In fact the first video we ever saw of Hydra was a demo that appeared to be intended for MSO partners, not retail consumers.

·
Unknown Member
5,069 Posts
It's a giant leap backwards. How on earth did this crap get approved?
It's to our advantage as users and we should be grateful. By degrading the user experience towards the awful norm, Rivo has made using one of those other devices less painful. With those other devices getting better and better (by a little) and Rivo getting worse (by a lot) we're moving towards a wonderful user universe of choices all about the same: much simpler world.

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
If you downgrade to the gen3 UI, you can upload shows back from your PC to the TiVo (browse on the TiVo to the PC sharing the shows with pyTivo or pyTivo Desktop). If you want to stay with Hydra, then you can use Plex to stream shows to your TiVo.

Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK, I have a few questions. After downgrading the UI do the new RF remotes still work? How about the "back" button?

Regardless of whether I downgrade or not:

If I cancel the subscription on my premiere, will I still be able to use it to watch videos stored on the Bolt?

If I cancel the sub on my premiere will I still be able to upload video to it from pyTivo Desktop?

I discovered last night that I could transfer to the premiere and then transfer to the bolt, which is an OK work around for now.

Thanks.

·
UHD Addict
24,275 Posts

Everyone doesn't think that way. I've been using Hydra since launch last year. I'll take it any day or the HDUI. In most ways it's easily better.

For the transfer back to TiVo issue, I just started using plex instead. Which opened up playback of my TiVo recordings to a wide range of devices. And with kmttg my transfers are automatic and they automatically get named in a format that plex can use. And now I'm getting ready to setup a second plex machine, strictly for my UHD BD rips.

Reactions: eherberg

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,640 Posts
OK, I have a few questions. After downgrading the UI do the new RF remotes still work? How about the "back" button?
Yes.

If I cancel the subscription on my premiere, will I still be able to use it to watch videos stored on the Bolt?

If I cancel the sub on my premiere will I still be able to upload video to it from pyTivo Desktop?
No, its part of the Tivo subscription.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I installed pytivo desktop. Works great, except when I transfer Mp4 files, like something downloaded from youtube, I get choppy audio (video is fine). I had this same problem with the old pytivo, and was hoping the new version would fix it. Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Can you open one of the MP4 files that has issue in MediaInfo and post details here?
Sure - does this give you what you need?

eneral
Complete name : L:\Final Videos L Drive\Random Videos\Before the Parade Passes By - HELLO DOLLY Broadway 2017 (Donna Murphy OBC).mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42 (isom/mp42)
File size : 42.2 MiB
Duration : 6 min 55 s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 853 kb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2018-08-15 23:34:58
Tagged date : UTC 2018-08-15 23:34:58
gsst : 0
gstd : 415242

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings : CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames : 3 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 724 kb/s
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.026
Stream size : 35.8 MiB (85%)
Title : ISO Media file produced by Google Inc. Created on: 08/15/2018.
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 126 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 6.22 MiB (15%)
Language : English

·
Super Moderator
59,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,758 ·
Sure - does this give you what you need?

eneral
Complete name : L:\Final Videos L Drive\Random Videos\Before the Parade Passes By - HELLO DOLLY Broadway 2017 (Donna Murphy OBC).mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42 (isom/mp42)
File size : 42.2 MiB
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 853 kb/s
gsst : 0
gstd : 415242

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings : CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames : 3 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 724 kb/s
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.026
Stream size : 35.8 MiB (85%)
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 126 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 6.22 MiB (15%)
Language : English
My guess is the 44.1 kHz audio. I bet TiVo doesn't support 44.1 audio and pyTivo isn't setup to catch that and recode the audio. Do you have anything you can use to recode the audio before you transfer it?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I wonder if the issue is the media player or the codecs installed on your machine. On Windows I've been installing the K-Lite Codec Pack (Standard) now at version 14.4.0, and using MPC (Media Player Classic) to play videos for years.
I misread and thought the issue was on files transferred from the TiVo not to the TiVo. Sorry for the unhelpful post.

1741 - 1760 of 2630 Posts