TiVo Community Forum banner
101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Sorry, do you mean I can initiate transfer using TiVo menu? This new menu will appear when I select shared folder on TV screen?
Please bear with me, I was using TiVo for years but never suspect existence of this ability.
It's a nice feature. :) Dang TiVo for not having continued it with TE4 (a major reason I'm still on TE3).*

Under your TiVo box My Shows list (or through using the My Shows Devices shortcut), select the share folder (the PC folder set under pyTivo Desktop/pyTivo as the source for shows that the TiVo box should look at). You then will have a list of the shows on your PC, in that folder. Select a show. You then will have a TiVo show listing for the show, with a menu option on that screen to transfer the show from your PC to your TiVo box, which you would select. :) Sorry if I confused matters by collapsing the directions at the end, earlier.

* There's a small (but probably unlikely) chance it could be brought to TE4.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I've transferred a significant number of shows (although well below your number of shows) between TiVo boxes and a PC using both pyTiVo Desktop and TE3's built-in show transfer function (done 1-by-one, from the show menu) and, while it takes time to complete, you get into a rhythm with it--I would queue up a number of shows at a time, let the software do its thing, and come back a few hours later to do a quick qc and to queue up the next batch. It just takes time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Thanks, yeah I've been doing some transfers (the "critical" stuff) from the shows menu. About 280 done, a bit over 1300 to go ;) I think I will transfer the critical recordings from the shows menu to the Premiere, the rest using pyTivo to the computer.

Anyone have opinion about using video stream vs transfer stream since my box is OTA, all MPEG2. Probably slower but I don't care, quality over speed.
On my OTA boxes, I used video stream--I didn't notice any speed difference (or it was negligible), and it seemed more glitch-free. I believe that, from what I've read and if I'm recalling correctly, you lose subtitle captioning with video stream and perhaps some show metadata, but to me, the show integrity was more important.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I have several programs that I transferred (via tivo.com) from a TE3 cable Roamio to a TE4 OTA Roamio that will not play past 10 minutes or so. The playback just hangs/stops. Frozen picture. I've tried jumping over the spot, No help. However, the same programs uploaded to my PC via pyTivo Desktop play just fine in VLC player. I've been meaning to try and stream the same programs from the PC to the TE4 box, but just haven't gotten around to it.
That's been a known problem with transfers via tivo.com. :( I don't recall if it's the involvement of TE4 or a more general issue with tivo.com in transfers.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
So here's a suggestion, Dan, for a tweak*: would it be possible to enlarge or otherwise make more prominent the icon used for pyTivo Desktop? On my Win10 taskbar, the pyTivo Desktop icon is significantly smaller and less-noticeable than all of its neighbors. By now I have it/its location memorized, but otherwise it could be a bug smashed on a windshield. ;)

* Yes, I know that this is going to sound ridiculous, but here goes, anyway.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Looks normal size to me...

View attachment 45095
Perhaps it's the space for both the feet and the antennae, as well as the dark colors in the icon that tend to blend into the background, but for me, it just comes across as smaller by impression and quick glance, and less-readily recognizable. (And now that you say this, I seem to recall that I had tried to make the icon larger earlier, but came across the barrier you mention.)

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
@Dan203, a while back I had mentioned to you that the pyTivo Desktop icon shows up on the Windows 10 taskbar as pretty small. When I was checking something on the taskbar earlier today, I noticed that this seems to have to do with how taskbar icons are displayed: when displayed in large form, the pyTivo Desktop icon shows as a full icon image, in a square with intervening coloring; but when displayed with the taskbar small icons option selected, the pyTivo Desktop icon somehow only shows the center image, without the square and intervening coloring (the reason why it is so much smaller and harder to see). Here are screen captures. This happens with other taskbar colorings as well.

And just for completeness, here is how the icon appears on the Start menu (in square form with intervening coloring).

I don't know if this is something that Windows does automatically with taskbar icons when the small icons option is selected (although it didn't change the neighboring Windows Update icon of any of the other icons) or if it is something in the pyTivo Desktop icon itself. Simply FYI.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Is this still the case? You can't push/upload .ts or .mp4 via pytivo?
I have lots of .mp4 movies w/o commercials I'd lilke to upload for tivo playback.
But again, note that this does not mean that you can't transfer shows from your PC to your TiVo box (under TE3); it just means, to do so, you need to use your TiVo box to pull the shows from your PC, and not use your PC to push them to your TiVo box.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts