TiVo Community Forum banner
1361 - 1380 of 2629 Posts

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
I don't think they want that ugly S2 style UI to pop up in Hydra. So my assertion that it would take a lot of work was based on them actually creating a new Hydra style UI for PC and older unit transfers.
While I wouldn't put it past them, that would be absolutely moronic reasoning. Prioritizing form over function is idiotic, but you may be right and that is the way the world works. :eek:

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Seems to me Hydra is exactly all about form over function.
Seems to me Hydra is exactly all about form over function.
Yeah, I've known that since I first saw it. What a revolting development but I guess it matches the attitude of the majority, including far too many on this forum who presumably should know better.

·
UHD Addict
24,271 Posts
Why are you doing all of that rather than just decrypt?
It was late and I was doing a bunch of testing to see what I need to do to set KMTTG up with PLEX. I never really used the Ad cut features before. But since I can no longer transfer content back to my TiVos, I need to start using the Ad cut feature to stream in PLEX with no commercials. Since it's more of a pain to scan past commercials in PLEX.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
It was late and I was doing a bunch of testing to see what I need to do to set KMTTG up with PLEX. I never really used the Ad cut features before. But since I can no longer transfer content back to my TiVos, I need to start using the Ad cut feature to stream in PLEX with no commercials. Since it's more of a pain to scan past commercials in PLEX.
You moved the goal posts.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I never really used the Ad cut features before.
2 things.

1st, using the ad-detect/ad-cut functions in kmttg does not require the steps that follow (captions, encoding) and re-encoding is going to be time consuming.

2nd, keep in mind that ad-detection is nowhere near close to perfect sometimes cutting very little sometimes cutting out huge swaths of the actual show. So it really needs to be reviewed and the cuts adjusted where necessary before cutting. (using the skip points to set the cuts is vastly better but if you want to be sure not to lose any of the show the cuts still need reviewing)

·
UHD Addict
24,271 Posts
2 things.

1st, using the ad-detect/ad-cut functions in kmttg does not require the steps that follow (captions, encoding) and re-encoding is going to be time consuming.

2nd, keep in mind that ad-detection is nowhere near close to perfect sometimes cutting very little sometimes cutting out huge swaths of the actual show. So it really needs to be reviewed and the cuts adjusted where necessary before cutting. (using the skip points to set the cuts is vastly better but if you want to be sure not to lose any of the show the cuts still need reviewing)
This was why I never really used it in the past. But now since PLEX will be my only option, and it's a pain to FF through commercials in PLEX, I'll need to have them cut out. But the only way I will even consider doing it is by the automatic method. I run KMTTG as as service, So I want to try and have everything done automatically.

And as far as I know pyTiVo Desktop doesn't have automatic transfers?

·
Vanity Phrase Here
356 Posts
But now since PLEX will be my only option, and it's a pain to FF through commercials in PLEX, I'll need to have them cut out. But the only way I will even consider doing it is by the automatic method.
You are not going to be happy with the automatic method of cutting out ads. Both comskip and VideoRedo are just too inaccurate in identifying commercials.

For the infrequent times that I need to archive a show for Plex, I like to use the automatic method to do the gross identification of ads, and then do a visual touch up to clean up the ad cuts. It's not that labor intensive and I figure either I contribute the skipping labor while watching with crude tools (FF or skip, skip, skip, back, etc.) or contribute the labor prior to watching with a much more sophisticated tool (VideoRedo).

·
UHD Addict
24,271 Posts
You're going to end up with a bunch of recordings with missing and/or excess data.
I only looked at one show last night in it's entirety to see how it did with Ad cuts. That show only had a split second cut out. But that was only one show. I guess I can always leave the original mpg file intact. Right now I have it set to be deleted. And I've still got the original .TiVo file.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
just upgraded to Hydra. my vids that I had already transferred from my PC are in "My Shows", but all my pytivo shares are gone from "my shows". any help please would be appreciated. I heard you can't transfer from hydra to PC (which I'm ok with ) but I still want to transfer from PC to Hydra

·
tivo_xml developer
2,538 Posts
just upgraded to Hydra. my vids that I had already transferred from my PC are in "My Shows", but all my pytivo shares are gone from "my shows". any help please would be appreciated. I heard you can't transfer from hydra to PC (which I'm ok with ) but I still want to transfer from PC to Hydra
Sorry, but you have it backwards. Transfers from Tivo to PC are working. From PC to TiVo are not working.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
You have it backwards. Tivo to PC works but PC to Tivo does NOT

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
You have it backwards. What's broken is transfer to a TiVo running Hydra. Currently, the only way to do that is via TiVo Online.

Edit: WOW! Triple play. :D

1361 - 1380 of 2629 Posts