TiVo Community Forum banner
1341 - 1360 of 2630 Posts

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
The bas
They already made it so those units can no longer be activated and have offered several offers to owners of those units to get them to upgrade. I'm guessing that's all we're going to get.

As I mentioned above TiVo has moved on to a new protocol (mind/RPC), the older S3-S2 units do not support that protocol. It's highly unlikely TiVo will add support for the older units, or pyTivo/TiVo Desktop, to Hydra. It would require a lot of work for a protocol they no longer support in any official products.
The code is still there. It's still supported on non Hydra units, including the Premiere which is still an "official product" and cannot run Hydra. Why would it "require a lot of work for a protocol they no longer support"?

BTW, I tried to take advantage of their latest S2 upgrade offer and they effed it up royally.

·
It'll be fine....
4,159 Posts
I do not expect them to do it. But would there be any technical reasons why TiVo couldn't extend mind/RPC to a local share for MRS streaming?

Even if they just extended the protocol and allowed the community to build out the service?

This would be unprecedented, I am sure, but technically it would be possible I would suspect.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
I do not expect them to do it. But would there be any technical reasons why TiVo couldn't extend mind/RPC to a local share for MRS streaming?

Even if they just extended the protocol and allowed the community to build out the service?

This would be unprecedented, I am sure, but technically it would be possible I would suspect.
Why would they do that? They already have Plex support.

·
tivo_xml developer
2,538 Posts
For now the download portion still works. But uploading is completely gone from Hydra and I don't expect it to return.

I'm not sure how much more effort I want to put into this project knowing that TiVo could stop it from working at any moment. I'll still fix the outstanding bugs, but I'm unlikely to add any new features going forward.
Keep in mind, they do still support sending videos out; I would have expected them to kill that before the other way round. Also remember that there are a number of NAS products that support transfers to and from tivo via the traditional calypso protocols that ttg/ttcb/music/photos are based on. So not bringing that back to Hydra also breaks hardware from actual vendors(Netgear and HP, at the very least, there may also be others), rather than 'just' us enthusiast users. I'd hope TiVo is considering that in deciding if/when it's a priority to restore.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Does PLEX support the .TiVo files? If it does I never realized it and I need to start using that instead of converting them.
I have no idea but I don't see the relevance anyway. A .tivo file cannot be streamed directly at all. It must be decrypted, either "on the fly" or beforehand.

·
UHD Addict
24,276 Posts
I have no idea but I don't see the relevance anyway. A .tivo file cannot be streamed directly at all. It must be decrypted, either "on the fly" or beforehand.
The relevance is that Plex is not really a solution unless I can dump the TiVo transfers into a folder and then stream them back to the TiVo. I've been converting the .TiVo files to .mpg and putting them in a folder for Plex. Which takes time If I'm doing dozens of shows. If Plex can handle files with the .TiVo extension, then I can just point Plex to my KMTTG folder and pyTiVo Desktop folder. Without having to go through an additional step.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
The relevance is that Plex is not really a solution unless I can dump the TiVo transfers into a folder and then stream them back to the TiVo. I've been converting the .TiVo files to .mpg and putting them in a folder for Plex. Which takes time If I'm doing dozens of shows. If Plex can handle files with the .TiVo extension, then I can just point Plex to my KMTTG folder and pyTiVo Desktop folder. Without having to go through an additional step.
The reason it's not relevant is that, as I said, no matter what you use to stream, they will have to be decrypted. Besides, it doesn't take all that much time to queue up all of the decryptions with kmttg. It isn't even that much computer time. They don't need to be converted, just decrypted.

·
UHD Addict
24,276 Posts
The reason it's not relevant is that, as I said, no matter what you use to stream, they will have to be decrypted. Besides, it doesn't take all that much time to queue up all of the decryptions with kmttg. It isn't even that much computer time. They don't need to be converted, just decrypted.
Why can't it do it on the fly? I know I can directly play my .TiVo files with the WIndows Media player and VLC.

EDIT: I thought my .TiVo files were converted to mpg but it looks like most of the files i have in my Plex folders are using the .ts extension.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
What did you use to decrypt? I use* VRD QS Fix and any .tivo file that was created by a Transport Stream d/l ends up as a .ts file. Decrypted Program Stream d/ls end up as .mpg

*It's actually what kmttg does when you have it set to use VRD to decrypt.

·
UHD Addict
24,276 Posts
I just tried KMTTG using VRD but it kept getting an error on the last thing, after cutting the ADs. I guess the re-encoding part?

·
Super Moderator
59,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,353 ·
The bas
The code is still there. It's still supported on non Hydra units, including the Premiere which is still an "official product" and cannot run Hydra. Why would it "require a lot of work for a protocol they no longer support"?

BTW, I tried to take advantage of their latest S2 upgrade offer and they effed it up royally.
I don't think they want that ugly S2 style UI to pop up in Hydra. So my assertion that it would take a lot of work was based on them actually creating a new Hydra style UI for PC and older unit transfers.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Why would they do that? They already have Plex support.
2 reasons.

One, plex support has been lacking to say the least and its completely unavailable on the new mini as there is no version that runs on that hardware.

2nd, its NOT integrated into the search and shows list structure like other streaming sources. There was talk of that integration back when Plex was actually doing development for the Tivo platform but like most things plex, its been left to wither on the vine while they moved on to add yet more features that they will never actually get working completely.

I really do not think the Plex support they were planning on for the Tivo environment has ever come to fruition.

Publishing an API for interfacing with the tivo web site could easily accomplish via push what everyone is asking for and not require updates to the boxes at all.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I don't think they want that ugly S2 style UI to pop up in Hydra. So my assertion that it would take a lot of work was based on them actually creating a new Hydra style UI for PC and older unit transfers.
I actually think a published API to allow the tivo website online transfer protocol to be accessed would allow the push functionality to be restored and accomplish 90% of what is being asked for without significant UI updates or changes to the software on the boxes.

·
time to emancipate
7,216 Posts
It's been a few weeks since I have used my tivo to move a file from pytivo desktop on my PC to my roamio. In looking back through the last day or two of this thread am I correct in assuming it's broken on tivo's end? And may not come back?

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
It's been a few weeks since I have used my tivo to move a file from pytivo desktop on my PC to my roamio. In looking back through the last day or two of this thread am I correct in assuming it's broken on tivo's end? And may not come back?
If you have moved to the new Hydra UI then PC to TiVo does not work. Unknown if they will ever fix it or not. If you are still on the old UI it should still work.

1341 - 1360 of 2630 Posts