TiVo Community Forum banner
101 - 120 of 2640 Posts

·
Chill- its just TV
5,099 Posts
I love me some pyTiVo. It's just too bad the original authors did not create this tool years ago.

I've successfully installed pyTiVo at least four times, and each included a bunch of research and preparation to make sure I got it right. This was ultimately simple and much much easier with less stress and frustration while saving tons and tons of time.

Thanks Dan!

·
Super Moderator
55,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I haven't been able to get this working on the Mac yet. I'm not a Mac guy so I'm running into stupid permissions errors and other things when trying to set up the build environment. I need to try again when I have more time to hunt down the issues.

·
Super Moderator
55,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
When you transfer a show to a PC not all of the data TiVo uses to group/sort shows is transferred with it, so when you move them back they aren't always grouped, sorted properly, or have skip data like they should.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Dan, this is absolutely amazing! Thanks so much for your work. I'm setting up a new media server and saw this thread... SO much easier than last time I installed pytivo. Running on W10 perfectly.

One thing... The default install is in program files. I accepted the default, and I was unable to save settings from the web interface. I uninstalled, and re-installed in C:\pytivo. I was then able to save settings from the web page. Your settings editor in the tray was unaffected and worked great in both cases. It's nice though to have the settings description and examples in the web page. I'm not sure why I had a problem with the default location, I know you moved the pytivo.conf file? Anyways, it's working great now. I'm running W10 and Chrome.

Thanks again!!!

·
Super Moderator
55,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
It's probably a permissions issue. By default pyTivo loads the config file from the same folder as the script, which in this case is the install folder which Windows locks down. In the last release I added the ability to move the config file to the AppData folder instead, which should be writable, but I didn't test it exhaustively so it's possible there is still some sort of permissions error with certain configurations. I'm working on a completely new UI right now that I'm hoping will work as a more full featured TiVo Desktop replacement, including a download UI. While I'm at it I'll make sure to play with the config stuff a bit more to ensure it's all working the way it should under various permissions schemes. I'm a bit busy with work right now, so it's probably going to be at least a few more weeks before I can finish up the new UI.

·
Super Moderator
55,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I glad you got it working.

FYI everyone.... I've been working on the Mac version. I got my build environment working, but there is some issue with the way I'm doing the tray icon on the Mac. It shows but it has a spinning circle when you hover over it and just goes away as soon as pyTivo exits. I'm not 100% sure how to handle this on the Mac. I'll need to do some more research and figure it out. The main pyTivo executable does work though, so it's just a UI issue at this point.

·
Registered
179 Posts
After uninstalling python and my previous pytivo to give this a shot, I see a "My Video (box)" option on my Roamio which is grayed out along with a number of TiVo's that I don't have online along with my second TiVo Premiere that is not grayed out. However, I can actually select it and see my PC shares.

Using the same previous web interface URL that was working for my old pytivo install (port 9032), the only option I see on the main page is the "Settings" link.

Is this normal? Odd? Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Dan,

I'm happy to see this thread. I am completely unsavvy about tech - especially pyTivo, NAS, servers (don't know what that is), creating shares. In November I finally switched from my old XP computer to a new Windows 10 computer. I waited because on my old computer, a college grad (computer major, loved tivo's), set up pyTivo on my XP desktop - and it pointed to shares on my NAS. He's graduated and moved across country. I have no idea what he did and he can't recall and guide me from long distance. I looked for local computer technicians in DC to help, asked through forums like this if anybody was in this area. Nobody I've hired or inquired of was able or willing to help me set up pyTivo.

I have several tivo premiers, 2TB, full of programs I want to keep. I was transferring them to my desktop with Tivo desktop plus and using VideoRedo to edit. Then storing on my NAS. (Once those shared showed up on my Tivo and I could transfer back anything I wanted to watch). The reason I use tivo desktop instead of pyTivo is because I very much want that meta data. I want to be able to see the name of the show, season and episode number, date etc, so I can know which I want to watch next. Can your new pyTivo do that? Keep that information so I can view it from my now playing list on my tivo's? Or do I need to stick with tivo desktop for that?

Even if I have to use tivo desktop, I found pyTivo useful - although I ran into snags I couldn't fix about 2 years ago, so I'm not clear how I used it. I think I quickly moved tivo shows (leaving tivo format so I could keep the metadata about episode name, season, episode number, etc) from desktop to my NAS. What else can I use it for?

Somebody else asked if there are instructions for this newest version. Is there?

The last computer technician I hired yesterday downloaded the following but I don't know if I need them. Should I uninstall these and just work with your link in this thread? He did not know what pyTivo was and I have no idea where he downloaded from. At first, he insisted it was a Mac program - took him a while to find the Windows version - so I have no confidence that he downloaded and installed anything I need. He may have installed, but didn't run program and set anything up (like shares).

Sorry this post may be unorganized. I really want to be able to transfer and edit my tivo recorded shows now on the Windows 10 computer I got in November. I've missed it. Also need to redownload VideoRedo.

Thank you.
Lynn.

·
Super Moderator
55,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
I'm currently working on a new UI for it which includes the transfer from TiVo part. The current version only allows that via the web interface which isn't 100% functional due to a TiVo bug that causes it's pagination to fail is you have a lot of streaming One Passes.

The current version is most useful for sharing stuff from your PC to you TiVo. The next version will include the interface for transferring from the TiVo to the PC.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
I'm currently working on a new UI for it which includes the transfer from TiVo part. The current version only allows that via the web interface which isn't 100% functional due to a TiVo bug that causes it's pagination to fail is you have a lot of streaming One Passes.

The current version is most useful for sharing stuff from your PC to you TiVo. The next version will include the interface for transferring from the TiVo to the PC.
I've exercised restraint asking about the status, Dan, as you had said that work was busy . . . . ;) But, looking forward--

·
Super Moderator
55,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
I just posted a new version which includes my new UI with TTG support. Please give it a try and let me know if you have any issues.

The code I used for the UI is also cross platform so as soon as I have some free time I'm going to finally get this ported over to Mac as well.

·
Unknown Member
4,708 Posts
as soon as I have some free time I'm going to finally get this ported over to Mac as well.
You can't see this because I have black tape over my laptop camera lens and you're probably not CIA anyway, but I'm throwing you a kiss. There, one of my kids is also.

EDITED TO ADD: Well, that spoils the moment. He's asking about VideoReDo. Ingrate. I would never personally do that! I gladly keep Parallels clogging up my laptop for the SOLE PURPOSE of running VideoReDo. No problem. It's an honor to do that.

101 - 120 of 2640 Posts