TiVo Community Forum banner
1101 - 1120 of 2629 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same problem last night and did not have the service option checked. The installer had defaulted to 'program files (x86)' which often causes issues with installers not running as admin. I reinstalled using a separate directory ("C:\PyTivo") and it worked fine.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,105 ·
The way I see it, running as a service implies a desire for a headless operation anyway, in most cases. Your (very nice) custom desktop UI is kinda pointless in that case. I vote for removing the service option so there's less for you to maintain/support :) On the other hand, there are a couple reasons someone might still want your version - the installer and pytivo-specific code changes.
I think what I'm going to do is remove the service option from the installer but leave the .bat files that allow the user to install as a service. That way if someone wants to manually run as a service they still can.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,107 ·
That's weird. It doesn't write anything to the install folder after it's installed, so there is no reason Program Files (x86) shouldn't have worked. Especially on a fresh install of Windows. Unless you had some antivirus or malware software that was interfering with the install.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The installer should prompt you to run as admin and exit if you don't. How are you even installing without admin privileges?
The 1.6.15 does not prompt about "Administrator" rights. That said, my account is a "local account" with administrator rights, at least to the extent given if not logged in as the real administrator. Just check "User Accounts" to see if the logged-in account is an administrator account.

That's weird. It doesn't write anything to the install folder after it's installed, so there is no reason Program Files (x86) shouldn't have worked. Especially on a fresh install of Windows. Unless you had some antivirus or malware software that was interfering with the install.
My pyTivo Desktop is installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\..." and I don't have a problem. My problems were TiVo Desktop being installed, and pyTivo Desktop running as a service. After uninstalling TiVo Desktop, and reinstalling pyTivo Desktop without the service, all is well.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,109 ·
Hmmm... yeah the prompt is that thing about "unknown publisher" not admin. It doesn't actually need admin rights. Shouldn't have any trouble being installed in Program Files (x86) even under non-admin account.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,112 ·
Isn't the config file written to the install folder?
For my version it's written to User/AppData/Roaming for the regular version and ProgramData for the service.

You're not allowed to update/modify files in the install folder without admin permissions, so that's how it has to work.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Tried to install on a Mac. Not the primary drive but a secondary SSD drive I have set up. Dragged the dmg into the drive from download. Opened and did install by pointing to that volume and it fails. It says Pytivo does not exist on that volume. Is this written so it can only be installed on the primary volume? I see the icons for both Pytivo and Pytivo Desktop in that volume but Pytivo will not launch Desktop does. Any ideas?

The reason I want to use the SSD is speed of the volume to process the files. My main drive besides being crowded as hell is infinitely slower.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,114 ·
Tried to install on a Mac. Not the primary drive but a secondary SSD drive I have set up. Dragged the dmg into the drive from download. Opened and did install by pointing to that volume and it fails. It says Pytivo does not exist on that volume. Is this written so it can only be installed on the primary volume? I see the icons for both Pytivo and Pytivo Desktop in that volume but Pytivo will not launch Desktop does. Any ideas?

The reason I want to use the SSD is speed of the volume to process the files. My main drive besides being crowded as hell is infinitely slower.
I'm not really a Mac guy, so I don't know if there are any limitations with secondary drives.

You did run thw installer right? It uses a whole install wizard thing, like a Windows program, you don't just drag the one executible from the DMG. I believe the installer offers an install location so you can change the location from there. That should repoint all the links that need to be repointed.

·
Registered
382 Posts
yep, tried the installer. First from the desktop then from the secondary volume, assigned the drive, completed install and when it asked me to open the program I got the error message. I will try restarting my Mac as soon as Archivo finishes doing it's thing. Trying that out as well, I've really only used Kmttg with any frequency.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Just to add to this. I'm in the middle of setting up a completely new system this morning. I had the original pytivo on my old desktop and Dan's version on my laptop both working fine.

After I setup pytivo desktop on this new system, I was getting the white screen and it kept asking me to reenter the media key and it didn't see either of my tivo's. I'm not running it as service. I opened localhost:9032 in the browser and entered everything there and saved it and pytivo desktop started working immediately, seeing my tivo's and I just transferred a file from one of them. I know enough to get myself in trouble, if it helps, that's how I just fixed the little bump in the road of my morning.

·
Registered
382 Posts
So, I opened package content and looked for "pytivo" and opened it in terminal and got this:
-bash: /Users/Alex/.profile: No such file or directory

/Volumes/Drive\ Genius\ BootWell/Applications/pyTivo.app/Contents/MacOS/pyTivo ; exit;

Alexs-Mac-mini:~ Alex$ /Volumes/Drive\ Genius\ BootWell/Applications/pyTivo.app/Contents/MacOS/pyTivo ; exit;

INFO:pyTivo:Last modified: Mon Aug 14 15:58:18 2017

INFO:pyTivo:python: 2.7.13

INFO:pyTivo:System: Darwin-15.6.0-x86_64-i386-64bit

INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Scanning for TiVos...

INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Master Br - 192.168.86.111

INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Basement - 192.168.86.114

INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Family Room - 192.168.86.106

INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Announcing shares...

INFO:pyTivo.beacon:Registering: TiVo Recordings

INFO:pyTivo:pyTivo is ready.

INFO:pyTivo:192.168.86.106 [09/Sep/2017 14:01:11] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F&DoGenres=1 HTTP/1.0" 200 -

INFO:pyTivo:192.168.86.114 [09/Sep/2017 14:01:11] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F&DoGenres=1 HTTP/1.0" 200 -

INFO:pyTivo:192.168.86.111 [09/Sep/2017 14:01:11] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F&DoGenres=1 HTTP/1.0" 200 -

INFO:pyTivo:192.168.86.106 [09/Sep/2017 14:01:11] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=TiVo%20Recordings&ItemCount=0&SerialNum=74600119024F64E HTTP/1.1" 200 -

INFO:pyTivo:192.168.86.114 [09/Sep/2017 14:01:11] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=TiVo%20Recordings&ItemCount=0&SerialNum=74600119043D2CF HTTP/1.1" 200 -

INFO:pyTivo:192.168.86.114 [09/Sep/2017 14:01:12] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F&DoGenres=1 HTTP/1.0" 200 -

INFO:pyTivo:192.168.86.111 [09/Sep/2017 14:01:12] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=TiVo%20Recordings&ItemCount=0&SerialNum=74600119047CB8C HTTP/1.1" 200 -

INFO:pyTivo:192.168.86.106 [09/Sep/2017 14:01:12] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F&DoGenres=1 HTTP/1.0" 200 -

INFO:pyTivo:192.168.86.111 [09/Sep/2017 14:01:12] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F&DoGenres=1 HTTP/1.0" 200 -
So, something seems to be working.
And this is what I get with Pytivo tray:
Last login: Sat Sep 9 14:01:07 on ttys000

-bash: /Users/Alex/.profile: No such file or directory

Alexs-Mac-mini:~ Alex$ /Volumes/Drive\ Genius\ BootWell/Applications/pyTivo.app/Contents/MacOS/pyTivoTray ; exit;

So here is a thought. Since this other drive is also a recovery boot drive could Pytivo be installing onto that System folder instead the the primary one. I will try trashing all the files and beginning over into primary drive, then move the programs over to the drive I want them to run from. Maybe that is the key?

·
Registered
297 Posts
FWIW, his was not a unique experience. I tried installing the latest version last night and got the exact same thing he described. After two attempts to re-install, and another today (after a clean reboot of my Win10 system), still the same behavior. That is, it never prompts for admin rights, never saves my media key or folder location, and goes to a blank white screen when I try to save settings.

I'm going to go try again and attempt to move the install to another location.
-------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Moving the installation away from \Programs (x86) changed some of the settings options I saw upon installing....this time it included VRD processing options, for example....but still the exact same result when I hit the "Save" button. Just goes to a white screen. This is now about six different installation attempts....some with the "pyTiVo as service" option, some without, some in the Programs (x86) folder, some not. Pretty frustrating.

UPDATE2: Uninstalled...again...and then used "Run as administrator" on the Windows installer. Seems to have done the trick. Not a difficult thing to do at all, of course, but would've saved a lot of time & trouble if the download website had simply suggested that.

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,554 Posts
Tried to install on a Mac. Not the primary drive but a secondary SSD drive I have set up... ...The reason I want to use the SSD is speed of the volume to process the files. My main drive besides being crowded as hell is infinitely slower.
What 'processes' are you referring to? :confused:

I'm currently setting up several old and new desktops and I'm moving ALL of the OSes & Apps to SSD while re-directing "My Documents" (i.e. Windows) to a spinner. For the PCs that are going to do video encoding, I'm installing WD Black secondary HDDs. For the others, WD Red, Blue, Green - whatever I have handy and how 'important' the data is going to be.

I also have this 'plan' to not let the SSDs go above 50% used space to allow for 'Wear Leveling'. This is my first time using SSDs and I'm looking forward to seeing the improvement.

I'm curious as to what 'processes' you feel would be 'held back' by storing their files on a spinner...

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Wear levelling is inherent in the drive. There is no need to keep it below 50%. There may be longevity to be gained by using 80% of the drive in "over provisioning" mode, but that can be done using partitioning software or the software your SSD provides.

In fact, in normal use, I don't even bother anymore - even my work PC's SSD (which has been a few years old now) is still is around 98% lifes left - I only wore it out 2%.

Even my regular use PCs which I use an SSD since the beginning and are several years old now have lots of life left. I doubt the SSD will wear out by the time I replace the PC which is still years away.

I do, however, use good quality SSDs - pretty much exclusively Samsung.

As for the Mac problem.... I'm wondering if it's because there's a space in the path? That can screw things up horribly if not taken to account. The reason is the primary (root) disk is root, so Applications is /Applications on the filesystem. But the secondary drive is always under "/Volumes/Disk Name"...

1101 - 1120 of 2629 Posts