TiVo Community Forum banner
1081 - 1100 of 2640 Posts

· Premium Member
453 Posts
@Dan203 and company - Is there any reason to run your version of pyTivo Desktop as a service?

I used to run the old version as a service, but since I switched to this version, I never installed as a service and have had many fewer problems.

Since many of the errors reported by users in his thread are regarding the service installation, maybe the best thing to do is to remove that option or at least bury it much deeper in the program options.

· Super Moderator
55,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,082 ·
That may be what I do. The service has been a source of headaches for me.

The reason I added it as an option is because there are a few people who requested it because they run pyTivo on a headless server and a service will start up without needing to log in.

· Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
@Dan203 and company - Is there any reason to run your version of pyTivo Desktop as a service?

I used to run the old version as a service, but since I switched to this version, I never installed as a service and have had many fewer problems.

Since many of the errors reported by users in his thread are regarding the service installation, maybe the best thing to do is to remove that option or at least bury it much deeper in the program options.
That may be what I do. The service has been a source of headaches for me.

The reason I added it as an option is because there are a few people who requested it because they run pyTivo on a headless server and a service will start up without needing to log in.
Is it possible to handle "it" (i.e. running as a service) like kmttg does, with several .BAT files (...\kmttg\service\win32) to install / uninstall / start / stop / etc...?

Announce somewhere that the code is 'Under development - use at your own risk', remove the option / question from the initial installation so that newbies don't see (and choose) it and then complain / ask millions of questions, but allow it to be accessed by someone willing to do their own 'legwork' to run, and troubleshoot, it.

· Super Moderator
55,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,085 ·
Actually that's really how it's done anyway. There are two bat files in the install directory that install and uninstall the service. The tray app is smart enough to know when the service is installed and will either control it or the standard exe as needed.

· Don't stop believin'
19,916 Posts
So if I'm reading the thread on 20.7.2 correctly -- if you're on 20.7.2.RC24 and you have a Roamio, Music is broken? It's an issue with 20.7.2.RC24, and not pyTiVoDesktop?

I can see my music on the TiVo, and I can navigate to any of the albums, but once I select the music I want to play, the TiVo gives me an error that the server is unavailable or busy.

After rebooting both the computer and the TiVo, I can see that pyTiVoDesktop is running.

· Registered
6,939 Posts
So if I'm reading the thread on 20.7.2 correctly -- if you're on 20.7.2.RC24 and you have a Roamio, Music is broken? It's an issue with 20.7.2.RC24, and not pyTiVoDesktop? ...
That is my take on it. I have a dual tuner Premiere, base Roamio, and a Bolt, they are all on 20.7.2 RC24. I use TiVoDesktop on a older Win 10 PC, the Premiere and Bolt can play music from the PC via TiVoDesktop and the Roamio can not.

· Registered
7,682 Posts
So if I'm reading the thread on 20.7.2 correctly -- if you're on 20.7.2.RC24 and you have a Roamio, Music is broken? It's an issue with 20.7.2.RC24, and not pyTiVoDesktop?

I can see my music on the TiVo, and I can navigate to any of the albums, but once I select the music I want to play, the TiVo gives me an error that the server is unavailable or busy.

After rebooting both the computer and the TiVo, I can see that pyTiVoDesktop is running.
Correct. Please open a ticket on it with TiVo!

Scott

· time to emancipate
7,243 Posts
I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a brand new ssd. Trying to set this up and have some issues right off the bat.
During install it asks for the media key and a folder for movies. I did that. But then when I open up the program it asks for the same info again under a TivotoGo tab. Isn't that a separate progam???. I entered it but it never saves it. Just goes to a white blank screen????? Then when I close and open the program again, it goes to the same tab.

· tivo_xml developer
1,817 Posts
Yeah there is an issue with that option. It's best to reinstall and not check the service option.

I'm probably going to remove that option from the installer in the next release as it's causing more trouble then it's worth.
The way I see it, running as a service implies a desire for a headless operation anyway, in most cases. Your (very nice) custom desktop UI is kinda pointless in that case. I vote for removing the service option so there's less for you to maintain/support :) On the other hand, there are a couple reasons someone might still want your version - the installer and pytivo-specific code changes.

1081 - 1100 of 2640 Posts