TiVo Community Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 2629 Posts

·
Cheesehead
11,535 Posts
I tried 1.6.12 (first version I ever installed) but I couldn't run the program without getting the unable to connect error. So I nuked it.

I downloaded 1.6.15, and when I install it on my Win10 Home machine I get a "Windows protected your PC" Windows Defender SmartScreen error pop up and says I'm not allowed. So I click More info and run it anyway, and then it gets blocked by MalwareFox. Gotta love it. Bypassing that, it installed, and runs fine now. On my Win10 Pro machine, I just get the UAC pop up, and then I allow it, and works. MalwareFox doesn't complain on my Win10 Pro machine. <shrug>

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,042 ·
Wonder what will happen if I try to install it on the Windows10 computer. Damn thing will probably explode, what with that Win10 tries to take away as much control from the user as possible (but next time I'm on it, I'm going to try it anyway. heh).
Win10 is actually better. They listened to all the complaints about 8 and fixed most of the annoying stuff.

I was considering getting a Windows certificate to prevent that sort of install error, but they're expensive and this is a free program. :)

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Well I see a couple of problems here... first off, on windows, ffmpeg refuses to even open a file with that name so it's failing at that point. On Mac it seems to get past that part, but the TiVo only supports ascii characters so it's failing to call the proper URL.

The second issue I could fix because the URL we're sending to TiVo is fake anyway. I could use a mapping of some sort of map a compatible URL to the actual file rather then trying to embed the entire path into the URL like they're doing now.

However the first problem I'm not sure how to fix. I've tried various ways to encode the file path for ffmpeg but I can't get it to open with unicode characters in the name. I'm going to try a few more things, but if ffmpeg can't open the file then it's impossible to get working.
@Dan203 - @dlfl has modified MG3 to replace the "odd" characters, so this fixes my specific problem.
pyTivo Discussion Forum :: View topic - MetaGenerator Version 3

I played with ffmpeg a bit and I'm not sure I understand your 1st comment above?

Using Windows 10 command line, ffmpeg worked with the following command:
Code:
ffmpeg.exe -y -i G:\Video\Ed\1\Hannibal-S02E05-Mukōzuke.mpg -vcodec copy -acodec copy G:\Video\Ed\Hannibal-S02E05-Mukōzuke.mp4
Did I miss something?

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,044 ·
I was wrong about my original diagnosis. It wasn't ffmpeg, it was the way pyTivo calls ffmpeg. The function subprocess.Popen has an issue on Windows that it only supports a character set called cp1252, which seems to be a superset of ascii, but not full unicode. So it supports some, but not all, unicode characters.

·
Cranky old novice
9,481 Posts
I was wrong about my original diagnosis. It wasn't ffmpeg, it was the way pyTivo calls ffmpeg. The function subprocess.Popen has an issue on Windows that it only supports a character set called cp1252, which seems to be a superset of ascii, but not full unicode. So it supports some, but not all, unicode characters.
My unaccenting solution for MG3 was done in C#. However I was curious about how to do it in Python and found there is at least one way to do it using unidecode.unidecode. This requires installing the unidecode package and importing unidecode in the code. I'm not sure what complications this may involve for your desktop distribution. Also, for this to solve the ffmpeg issue, you would have to construct the unaccented file name, temporarily rename the video file to the unaccented version, and pass that file name to ffmpeg via popen. Then rename the file to the original (accented) version after ffmpeg terminates.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,046 ·
Yeah I considered that solution. But it seems risky. FFmpeg is used just to get the details of the file, even before it's transferred. If one file happens to be in use when that's called then it could cause other issues.

Considering this issue has existed in pyTivo since it's inception, and it hasn't been a big issue in the past, I'm not sure it's worth really doing anything about. From what I can tell cp1252 covers most common unicode characters, so only the really obscure ones are going to cause an issue. In this particular case it was the o with the line over it that didn't convert.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just a minor FYI aside. Most of the time before I install a program I've downloaded I run it though VirusTotal first. I just had it scan pyTivo_1.6.15.exe (not because I distrust the author, just general policy). The result is all green/cleans with 12 analyzers not reporting result. I'm sure it happens, but I can't remember the last time I saw all green, even on programs I trust. The only caveat are the 12 analyzers not reporting.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,048 ·
Good to know.

I'm considering getting a code signing certificate to get rid of the warning when you run the installer. However it's kind of expensive and I'm not sure if it's really worth the effort. (lots of hoops to jump through to get the certificate)

·
Registered
777 Posts
The windows screen that pops up is for those of us who are click happy idiots who click ok all the time every time.. you guys know who they are, they are the ones who call us to say the computer is acting weird.... it's there to protect themselves from themselves!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Dan:
I've installed PyTivoDesktop on two of my Macs. I just got a notice to update to 1.6.15 and did so on one of my Macs (OS 10.11.6). My TiVo Premiere and Roamio can see the shared music files and navigate the folders but it won't play any music file shared from either Mac. The play bar shows up, but TiVo won't play it. The music files are MP3s. Any ideas what I'm missing?

·
Cheesehead
11,535 Posts
Dan:
I've installed PyTivoDesktop on two of my Macs. I just got a notice to update to 1.6.15 and did so on one of my Macs (OS 10.11.6). My TiVo Premiere and Roamio can see the shared music files and navigate the folders but it won't play any music file shared from either Mac. The play bar shows up, but TiVo won't play it. The music files are MP3s. Any ideas what I'm missing?
Sounds like your TiVos got the 20.7.2.rc22 update? TiVo broke music again. Looks like it hasn't been fixed in rc24 either. It worked again in 20.7.1.rc2, after being broken in 20.6.something. Doesn't sound like a pyTiVo problem, I can play Music fine with 1.6.15, but my TiVos are still on 20.7.1.rc2

·
Registered
227 Posts
The Premiere is on 20.7.1.RC2 and music won't play. The Roamio is on 20.7.2.RC22 and trying to play a music file brings up a TiVo server-related error trouble trying to connect...but obviously I AM connected or I wouldn't be able to move through the folders to the music file, and I can view photos without connection troubles -- so that's a misleading error. Well darn...it's apparently a TiVo-related issue and out of our control so your fine work with pyTivo Desktop can't be used. :( <<Sigh>> But thank you for pyTivo Desktop anyway!:clapping:

·
Cheesehead
11,535 Posts
Sorry, I forgot, I don't think the Music problem ever affected the Premiere or Bolt? Might have just been the Roamio? I remember when my Roamio Music broke, I could still play Music on my TiVoHD. I have no idea why your Premiere won't play Music. I don't have a Premiere, so can't check it out. On your Premiere, have you tried using the SD menus instead of HD? I faintly recall that may have been a workaround available on the Premiere for some reason.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,055 ·
The Premiere is on 20.7.1.RC2 and music won't play. The Roamio is on 20.7.2.RC22 and trying to play a music file brings up a TiVo server-related error trouble trying to connect...but obviously I AM connected or I wouldn't be able to move through the folders to the music file, and I can view photos without connection troubles -- so that's a misleading error. Well darn...it's apparently a TiVo-related issue and out of our control so your fine work with pyTivo Desktop can't be used. :( <<Sigh>> But thank you for pyTivo Desktop anyway!:clapping:
Post the log just so I can make sure there isn't an error I can fix

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,059 ·
You can try rebooting the TiVo sometimes it just loses track and stops listening for the shares.

Also if you have TiVo Desktop installed it can cause a conflict, so you may want to try uninstalling that.

·
time to emancipate
7,216 Posts
Hey guys I can't seem to get this new version to work. The pc can see and download from the tivo but the tivo can't see the pc the pull from. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Same problem I had. If you get it to work can you drop me a PM? I tried going back to the other version and now it doesn't work so I'm out of luck. :(

1041 - 1060 of 2629 Posts