TiVo Community Forum banner
981 - 1000 of 2629 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looking at the code. That exact error means it's having trouble opening tivolibre for decoding.

In the pyTivo install folder, under bin, do you see tivolibre.exe?

Could your antivirus software be blocking it for some reason?
Yes, I see tivolibre.exe (version 0.7.4.0) in the BIN folder. I'm running Windows Defender, no other antivirus software.

·
Don't stop believin'
26,095 Posts
You do have music in the folder it's pointed at right?

Try temporarily disabling your firewall. Then stop and restart pyTivo and see if that helps.
I shared my Music folder (the Library folder under my user folder, C:\Users\Jan\Music\ ). Most of the contents of the directory are album folders, but there is one album whose tracks got dumped in the main directory).

When I look at Devices on the Roamio, there are entries in the list for all the video shares, but not the music share. I did screw up once by forgetting to tell pyTiVoDesktop to save the new share, but I fixed that.

Disabling the firewall, then stopping and restarting pyTiVo didn't work. For a moment, I only saw the TiVoHD under Devices, then all the video shares reappeared, but not the music share.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #985 ·
I shared my Music folder (the Library folder under my user folder, C:\Users\Jan\Music\ ). Most of the contents of the directory are album folders, but there is one album whose tracks got dumped in the main directory).

When I look at Devices on the Roamio, there are entries in the list for all the video shares, but not the music share. I did screw up once by forgetting to tell pyTiVoDesktop to save the new share, but I fixed that.

Disabling the firewall, then stopping and restarting pyTiVo didn't work. For a moment, I only saw the TiVoHD under Devices, then all the video shares reappeared, but not the music share.
Music shares don't show up under devices. They show under Music & Photos on the main menu.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dan - I have resolved whatever issue there was by first uninstalling, rebooting and then re-installing. Not sure why it didn't work the first time as I changed nothing, but it's working fine now. Thanks for your support.

·
Cheesehead
11,535 Posts
I installed pyTivo_1.6.12 (on C: (SSD), entered MAK, and D:\Videos (HDD where I have my videos) for the directory) on my Win10 (ver 1703 bld 15063.502) box.

I just get a window that pops up saying "Error connecting to pyTiVo! Verify pyTiVo is running and retry". It appears to be running based on the icon in my notification area, and the fact I can connect my browser to localhost:9032. I click Retry. A window flashes in the background, immediately disappears and the error window pops up again. Rinse, wash, repeat. I tried rebooting and launching both pyTiVo (server) and pyTiVo Desktop with admin privileges. Same problem.

I did a search and in this thread others have posted having the same problem... July 24th time frame. It sounds like it was supposed to be fixed in 1.6.12. Well, not for me.

The only anti-virus software I am running is Windows Defender. I am also running Windows firewall. pyTiVo is installed in a different directory than old pyTivo, old pyTivo isn't running, etc. 1.6.12 is the only version of pyTiVo Desktop I've ever installed. I am not running it as a service, or automatically starting it with Windows. I launch it manually. I am unable to click on the gear to open that menu to check the log (as you recommended in a prior post in this thread). The error window blocks everything. I looked in the pyTivo directory, but don't see anything that looks like a log file. What is the fullpath and filename for the log, if I installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\pyTivo\

[edit] Uninstalled, rebooted, installed again. Same error.
[edit2] Rebooted, tried again, fired up pyTivo then Desktop... got the same error a few times... then it stopped popping up, and it appears to be working Maybe I just need to wait longer to launch pyTivo Desktop after starting the pyTivo server, even on a moderately fast, otherwise idle system (M2 SSD, i3-7100U, DDR4).
[edit3] Is this error from the log relevant?
Code:
INFO:pyTivo:[Errno 10053] An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
and shouldn't that be ERROR instead of INFO? :)

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
You're having issues pulling from PC to TiVo?
Yes, when accessing my pyTivo shares from my TiVo, I select the file named "Hannibal-S02E11-Kō No Mono.mpg" and pyTivo does nothing. It doesn't open the next screen where I would select the episode to be transferred.

As I mentioned in my post, Easier to use pyTivo , I believe @moyekj has kmttg replace "odd" characters in the kmttg download process to prevent this from happening.

The problem arises when users rename their files to match the TVDB name or any other name with characters not accepted by pyTivo/TiVo.

I use MG3 to rename all my shows to match the TVDB name and so I found the issue.

Perhaps the best place to address this, in my particular workflow, is with MG3 and have it replace the offending characters, but what if other users are using different applications to rename files and have a similar problem?

Should the change be made to MG3 or to pyTivo?

@dlfl & @Dan203 - Thoughts?

·
Cranky old novice
9,481 Posts
Yes, when accessing my pyTivo shares from my TiVo, I select the file named "Hannibal-S02E11-Kō No Mono.mpg" and pyTivo does nothing. It doesn't open the next screen where I would select the episode to be transferred.

As I mentioned in my post, Easier to use pyTivo , I believe @moyekj has kmttg replace "odd" characters in the kmttg download process to prevent this from happening.

The problem arises when users rename their files to match the TVDB name or any other name with characters not accepted by pyTivo/TiVo.

I use MG3 to rename all my shows to match the TVDB name and so I found the issue.

Perhaps the best place to address this, in my particular workflow, is with MG3 and have it replace the offending characters, but what if other users are using different applications to rename files and have a similar problem?

If there is a general (algorithmic or functional) way to handle such substitutions in code, I would like to know of it. Otherwise you have to handle each such case individually, e.g., substitute 'o' for 'ō'. And there appear to be hundreds of such possibilities if you look at the unicode tables, so the only practical way to do it is for users to call attention to specific cases and suggest the desired substitute character. I have no problem doing that in MG3.

·
Vanity Phrase Here
356 Posts
If there is a general (algorithmic or functional) way to handle such substitutions in code, I would like to know of it. Otherwise you have to handle each such case individually, e.g., substitute 'o' for 'ō'. And there appear to be hundreds of such possibilities if you look at the unicode tables, so the only practical way to do it is for users to call attention to specific cases and suggest the desired substitute character. I have no problem doing that in MG3.
I have no idea what language MG3 is written, but the problem of converting unicode to UTF-8 has been solved in most if not all. In python, there is a nice discussion and solution here: Converting Unicode Strings to 8-bit Strings

Other solutions in Java, C#, C++, etc. abound. It's a wheel you need not invent.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #994 ·

Is it caused by the Unicode characters in the metadata? Or in the file name? Can you try deleting the .txt file for one of these files and see if you still have the issue? That will tell me which part of the code the problem is in.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Dan, firstly thanks for such a kick ass piece of software.. here's the problem I am having. I have the same pytivo error that others have reported.. I installed tivo desktop (current version and last one.). This allowed me to get around the error but I notice when you make changes pytivo server does not restart. It sits in limbo and I have to restart it manually. Ok at one point I set up video shares, the one single directory worked files transferred from desktop to tivo. Went back to software added more shares from my system. Shares vanished. I can see all my TiVo's, can pull from them but cannot now see the shared folders any longer.. can you advise.. is there a tutorial or guide we can use? Everything is installed and proper permissions granted. Tried disabling virus and firewalls no change.

·
Cranky old novice
9,481 Posts
Upon refreshing my memory, the only problem MG3 has with "odd" characters is when it calls Atomic Parsley to embed metadata in output .mp4 files. That program (which is old, and which I don't maintain) chokes on file names including those characters. I built a work-around into mg3 in which the file being processed is temporarily renamed and then again renamed to the original name after the embedding process completes, so MG3 provides an output file name that includes the odd chars. In other words, MG3 has no problem with the odd characters as long as a table of substitute characters is pre-defined -- or if you're not configuring it to embed metadata in output .mp4 file. There may be a simpler (algorithmic) way to generate the temp file name by just detecting non-ASCII chars and subbing a dummy char (e.g., 'z'), or maybe just removing them -- it's just a temporary file name anyway.

But the above discussion and MG3 treatment doesn't address the problem @elprice7345 has defined.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #997 ·
Dan, firstly thanks for such a kick ass piece of software.. here's the problem I am having. I have the same pytivo error that others have reported.. I installed tivo desktop (current version and last one.). This allowed me to get around the error but I notice when you make changes pytivo server does not restart. It sits in limbo and I have to restart it manually. Ok at one point I set up video shares, the one single directory worked files transferred from desktop to tivo. Went back to software added more shares from my system. Shares vanished. I can see all my TiVo's, can pull from them but cannot now see the shared folders any longer.. can you advise.. is there a tutorial or guide we can use? Everything is installed and proper permissions granted. Tried disabling virus and firewalls no change.
The internal pyTivo reboot doesn't seem to work that well. It's something that was added before me so I'm not 100% sure what it even does. Only reason I force a reboot after changing the setting or adding a share is because it forces pyTivo to reread the conf file.

Stopping pyTivo and restarting it seems to work better. I may add something that does that instead.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #998 ·
Upon refreshing my memory, the only problem MG3 has with "odd" characters is when it calls Atomic Parsley to embed metadata in output .mp4 files. That program (which is old, and which I don't maintain) chokes on file names including those characters. I built a work-around into mg3 in which the file being processed is temporarily renamed and then again renamed to the original name after the embedding process completes, so MG3 provides an output file name that includes the odd chars. In other words, MG3 has no problem with the odd characters as long as a table of substitute characters is pre-defined -- or if you're not configuring it to embed metadata in output .mp4 file. There may be a simpler (algorithmic) way to generate the temp file name by just detecting non-ASCII chars and subbing a dummy char (e.g., 'z'), or maybe just removing them -- it's just a temporary file name anyway.

But the above discussion and MG3 treatment doesn't address the problem @elprice7345 has defined.
It could be on the TiVo side. It may not support unicode characters. If it's just the metadata that has issues I can probably fix that. But if it's the actual file name then the only way I can fix that is by using the DOS name. But that will only work on Windows, so I'm not sure how I would do that on Mac.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #999 ·
I'm going to have to investigate this a little more. I don't know exactly how pyTivo presents files to the TiVo. It may not actually matter if filename has unicode characters if pyTivo is just feeding data. It could be as simple as normalizing the string pyTivo sends to the TiVo as the "title" for a given file.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Is it caused by the Unicode characters in the metadata? Or in the file name? Can you try deleting the .txt file for one of these files and see if you still have the issue? That will tell me which part of the code the problem is in.
It is caused by the unicode character in the file name.

I renamed the file, substituting an "o" instead of the "ō" and the file pulled properly. I didn't touch the metadata file.

981 - 1000 of 2629 Posts