TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 58 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Am new to understanding TS and PS modes. In copying some shows over from my Series 2 with pyTivo, it appears that they are copied over as PS regardless of how the TS/PS setting is set under pyTivo Desktop--setting to TS, the shows still transfer as PS. Are Series 2 recordings only available as PS? (And, I'm just curious, why, if that's the case?) Thanks--

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
BTW, copyright is not the same. Pretty much everything you record is copyrighted. A copyright is issued by the government.
In the U.S., the government issues a copyright registration, upon an application and proper entitlement. Copyright itself exists, assuming the entitlement, when the work first is expressed in a tangible means. ;)

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Doesn't alter my point. Also, it's much more difficult to prove copyright infringement if said infringement occurs prior to registration.
Was just correcting as to the nature of copyright, which is important to note: one needn't do anything to have legal rights under copyright, although one gets enhanced benefits--such as the right to sue for damages, a powerful thing--with a copyright registration.

And with or without a registration, one still needs to prove infringement--the same proof requirement is still there.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Yes, but it's more difficult to prove that you created it first.
That's a good point and another good reason to seek a copyright registration, which perhaps you were getting at: with your copyright registration, there is a legal presumption of the validity of the copyright and of the facts stated in the copyright registration certificate--including the date of the creation of the registered work--if the registration was within 5 years of the first publication of the work. This could be very valuable, in a trial. But even so, if the dates of creation become an issue, expect a battle--this is only a presumption, not irrefutable proof.

Not to digress here (sorry, folks), but it can be a fascinating field, and lead to fascinating lawsuits and trials. :) And now, back to our regularly-scheduled programming . . . .

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I had a chance to finally try 1.5.12. I used it to share some of the files I downloaded using kmttg.

When browsing the share, using my Series 2, I realized that the dates listed for the shows seem to be the dates that the files were saved to my PC, rather than the date of the actual recording itself.

I tried transferring one to the Series 2, and then it appeared to show the date of the actual recording, which is good. I only got to try one file so far.

I could leave the recordings on the PC, and transfer/stream them on-demand to my upcoming Bolt. But if I did that, finding the episode that I want to transfer could be tricky, since they'd basically all show some random date.

If I've correctly interpreted the behavior, is there a way to make shared recordings show the dates that they were recorded, vs when they were saved to the PC? Thank you.
From what I've read that's a bug in the way the TiVo itself not on pyTivo's end. So unfortunately there isn't anything I can do to fix it. And the chances of TiVo fixing it are probably pretty slim, since they've abandoned their own Desktop software. Your best bet is probably just to transfer all the shows to the new TiVo and then you can sort by episode number rather then date.
A user also might want to consider downloading a show's metadata file along with the show to a PC--easy to consult, as to the show's particulars.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I am downloading the metadata as well. From my very-brief testing, it seems that once I download the show from the PC, over to my other TiVo, the metadata is included.

But if I'm using the TiVo to browse the contents of my pyTivo share (consisting of kmttg-transferred files, stored on my PC), the list seems to be:
- not grouped (despite groups being enabled for this list on my Series 2).
- sorted by the date that the file was transferred. So things show a date from a few days ago, when I copied them over, rather than from several months ago, when they were recorded.

This isn't intended as complaining about pyTivo. It *is* an observation, so I can at least learn if I'm doing something wrong, etc, or also learn if this is simply how it works.

Interestingly, I just checked a file that I transferred using pyTiVo, rather than kmttg. This is saved into a different share folder, so that I can keep them clear. This (singular) file *did* show its recorded date in the list, when browsing from the TiVo. It did not show the date that I transferred it, like the kmttg files.

FWIW, I used kmttg to transfer the files largely for one reason. Dan, you added the ability to bulk-transfers with 1 click, which is awesome, thank you! But I realized that kmttg gives the option to skip existing files, by specifying to not over-write them. So if I had to start a big transfer again (like when my laptop rebooted itself), I could just tell kmttg to transfer everything, again. Files that were already downloaded would simply be skipped. I didn't have to go through the list looking for what had already copied, or spend time downloading duplicates (my Series 2s transfer very slowly).

If pyTivo had the ability to look for existing file names, and skip those, that could be a big help. Downloading a folder could act more as a "get new recordings" function, rather than making duplicates of existing recordings.
I am downloading the metadata as well. From my very-brief testing, it seems that once I download the show from the PC, over to my other TiVo, the metadata is included.

But if I'm using the TiVo to browse the contents of my pyTivo share (consisting of kmttg-transferred files, stored on my PC), the list seems to be:
- not grouped (despite groups being enabled for this list on my Series 2).
- sorted by the date that the file was transferred. So things show a date from a few days ago, when I copied them over, rather than from several months ago, when they were recorded.

This isn't intended as complaining about pyTivo. It *is* an observation, so I can at least learn if I'm doing something wrong, etc, or also learn if this is simply how it works.

Interestingly, I just checked a file that I transferred using pyTiVo, rather than kmttg. This is saved into a different share folder, so that I can keep them clear. This (singular) file *did* show its recorded date in the list, when browsing from the TiVo. It did not show the date that I transferred it, like the kmttg files.

FWIW, I used kmttg to transfer the files largely for one reason. Dan, you added the ability to bulk-transfers with 1 click, which is awesome, thank you! But I realized that kmttg gives the option to skip existing files, by specifying to not over-write them. So if I had to start a big transfer again (like when my laptop rebooted itself), I could just tell kmttg to transfer everything, again. Files that were already downloaded would simply be skipped. I didn't have to go through the list looking for what had already copied, or spend time downloading duplicates (my Series 2s transfer very slowly).

If pyTivo had the ability to look for existing file names, and skip those, that could be a big help. Downloading a folder could act more as a "get new recordings" function, rather than making duplicates of existing recordings.
Understood. I'm just using the metadata file, on my PC, to understand what the related .tivo file is, if I have a question.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
ing
Ok, color me confused. Like I posted, I installed pyTiVo Desktop as requested. I ran the program. I was presented with My Shows on one Roamio. I saw no location or option to change the TS or PS option. I really wanted it to work, and guess I need to read this entire thread to find the option. No problem. It's not that big. With the old Desktop it was an easy option to find, but I feel it's no longer working unless slow means 90Mbps and fast means 92Mbps. Perhaps that's a clue to my problem? My network isn't perfect, but it's not bad either. I'm open to any pointers. My ego died years ago. :)
@Mikeguy, you're running it - do you know how to specify PS instead of TS transfers? I haven't had a chance to install it yet...
TS currently is set/unset under Settings, via the gear symbol at the upper right of the main screen; it's a "global" setting for all transfers and, once checked (for TS mode) or unchecked (for PS mode) and then settings saved (bottom right), pyTivo shuts off and then starts up again (automatically). There were a few posts here recently about perhaps making TS/PS selectable per show (as Joe was looking to do).

Also, even if TS mode is selected, if only a PS transfer is possible (such as, with an earlier TiVo box--my Series 2, for example), PS mode will be defaulted to.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
New version just posted. Contains my fixes to pyTivo which make transferring TS files back to your TiVo easier. Also contains an overhaul to the UI which makes it a little cleaner and more TiVo like. To get info for a show now you simply click it, and it will expand to show all the details, rather then that hover thing I was using before. It also contains the date inline with every recording/folder for easy reference.
New version removed from website? It was there earlier today, gone now (the most recent Win version is v1.5.15)--

edit: Tried the website again, most recent Win version is v1.5.15; refreshed the webpage, and now Wín v1.6.0 is there . . . .

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Yep, it definitely is 2-way.

Towards the bottom of your My Shows listing of shows, do you see the name of the folder that you set on pyTivo Desktop as your "video shares" folder? (And you can find and set the video shares folder under the Settings screen for pyTivo Desktop--to get there, click the small gear towards the upper right of the program.)

If the video shares folder is not there, perhaps there is a network connectivity issue between your TiVo box and your router (this sometimes has happened to me), or between your PC and your router.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Dan,

I'm still unable to pull TV shows to the same folder with episode seriesId set exactly the same. pyTivo metadata text file adds more data to the TiVo video but will not pull to the same folder. Am I missing something?

This is a great program!!!! Thanks!

Sparky
I've had this somewhat as hit-or-miss with older shows transferred to a new TiVo box, where the shows' metadata share the same seriesId: sometimes the new box puts them into a series folder, sometimes it stores them individually. I don't know that I can discern a pattern, apart from the age of the series and its not continuing on to the present time--perhaps that's it.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I believe that option #1 skips the check completely, so there is no record. But with option #3 the number of affected packets is appended to the file name. It will appear like...

Show Name - ''Episode Title'' (Jan 01, 2017 KRST) (^56).tivo

The "^56" part is the number of affected packets, but it's cumulative, there is no record of exactly where the affected packets are or how many different sections are affected. I was thinking about adding an option to write that data out to a text file. I don't really have a way of reporting it as a time stamp though, only a byte offset. Although you can get a rough idea of where the error is by using the total file size and dividing it by the length of the recording.
That might be helpful, so that one can check it out and then maybe even consider re-doing the download as a PS, depending on the nature of the glitch.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Ok, got all three, thank you very much!

I'm feeling a little dumb, is there a guide to Metageneratior?
It would be nice if there was (it's a great and useful program and I am very thankful for it, but some aspects of it were less readily apparent to me--some playing around is helpful, for figuring aspects out), but as the first post in the Metagenerator thread states,
There is no user guide for MG3 but a complete cumulative change log is included in each version distribution. Searching this log and/or posting questions on this forum are the two best ways to get help.
Do note that there is a very helpful pdf file in the download, on how to get programId's.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I tested it myself on 7 and 10, I didn't think people were even still using Vista.
Few are--most of those people are using XP. ;)

This does raise a point, though, Dan, especially for newer-comers to your "little experiment" and to pyTivo: it's starting to feel like it might be worthwhile to have a (brief--that's really all that's needed) Wiki page/page at the website explaining pyTivo Desktop: e.g. how to install/set it up and the options, operations features, and what some of the more not-actually-intuitive (at least, for some of us) settings are (including the defaults, for those of us who might have changed them and might be advised to go back. ;) ). In the end, probably not much more than the salient points here, but without all the verbiage. Even little things like clicking on a show in pyTivo Desktop's show list, to get the details about the show (a wonderful feature)--so features and options don't get lost/overlooked.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Simply a user report re TS downloads to the PC:

Just completed one, with options set to repeat up to 3 times if there were errors. A clean (no errors) TS copy came through on the 3rd or 4th attempt. And so, seems to be working.

The only question I guess I have is, when packet errors are reported, how much of an error is there? On one copy, there were 30 errors, on another around 400. Is there any idea of how much quality is impacted (i.e., is 30 errors just a blip, and so perhaps live-able) or is it all context-dependent?

41 - 58 of 111 Posts