TiVo Community Forum banner
661 - 680 of 2630 Posts

·
Super Moderator
59,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #661 ·
I've added a note to the download page for both the Windows version and the Mac version about known compatibility. Hopefully that will help future users from making the same mistake.

Again I'm sorry it didn't work for you. I wasn't aware of the incompatibility until you reported it. I tested it myself on 7 and 10, I didn't think people were even still using Vista.

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,554 Posts
One thing of note.... the changes I made to support the TS error checking and retries do NOT require the desktop app to function. They're in the pyTivo portion of the code. You just need to sent a couple of options in the conf file and you can use the pyTivo web UI to download shows and still get the benefits of the TS checking.

If you're interested let me know and I'll explain what those options are so you can set them up.
[ @Dan203 , I'm going to abbreviate here and refer to 'PyTiVo Desktop' as 'Your PyTiVo' and the @wmcbrine fork of PyTiVo as William's PyTiVo - or maybe just PyTiVo - with all the upgrades, maybe adding DESK or Desktop to the end of the 'PyTiVo.*' filenames would help differentiate between the two...]

So, here's where I stand now:
  1. I *FINALLY* found Your PyTiVo.conf file in ...\AppData\Roaming\pyTivo after accessing the setting of Your PyTiVo with Chrome on the default port of 9032. I changed the port to 9033 and attempted to save and it errored each time - it SAVED but it also errored. I kept restarting Your PyTiVo and even checked Task Manager to see what was going on (why are there 2 instances of pyTivo.exe and 2 instances of pyTiVoTray.exe?). Unless my eyes, and Windows Explorer SEARCH, are failing me, Your PyTiVo.conf didn't exist *UNTIL* I accessed Your PyTiVo via a browser, changed a setting and saved it. Why did you pick ...\AppData\Roaming\pyTivo instead of ...\PyTiVoDesktop, like the ...\pytivo-master that William used? It was SO EASY for me to copy *EVERYTHING* related to both kmttg and PyTiVo off my 'dead' laptop over my LAN to my ancient desktop, change a few drive letters and be up-and-running in mere minutes. I don't see the point of storing 99.999% of your application in 'the USA' and putting 0.001% in 'the UK'.
  2. OK, now that I have a PyTiVo.conf to work with, I opened both in Notepad and moved over the [Server] section along with one share. In the [Server] section, I remember you saying that Your versions of the utilities were 'specific ', so I pointed ffmpeg and tdcat to Your BIN directory. William's PyTiVo.conf didn't have an entry for tivolibre, so I added it. Your BIN directory didn't have tivodecode, so I deleted it (more in a sec). I was now able to start Your PyTiVo.exe and control it via Chrome. I checked back in ...\AppData\Roaming\pyTivo and there was now a LOG file - WARNING: pyTivo.config:tivodecode not found - so I pointed it to my existing copy of tivodecode in my kmttg install since Your install didn't include one in your BIN directory (or any directory for that matter). Is this somehow related to DirectShow?
  3. Now, I immediately turned my attention to those 'problem child ' H.264 files (mandating TS / 'Fast' Format TiVo-to-PC transfers) where I could try out the new "0x47 every 188 bytes" logic. No matter what I did, *EVERY* file that I transferred ended in "(PS)" and thus, the H.264 files were 'Audio Only ' when played back on a TiVo unit - CORRECTION: on a PC; Your PyTiVo reported 'Transfer Prohibited ' IIRC.
  4. Thus, I'm ready, willing, and able to add in the required PARAMETERS to Your PyTiVo.conf file to:
    • Switch from PS / 'Slow' Format transfers to TS / 'Fast' Format transfers
    • Pick 'Option 3'
      (IIRC - is there *ANY* documentation available? Even a crude Notepad TXT file would be helpful.)
    • Set a 'Max Retry Count'
    • Attempt to d/l TiVo-to-PC a H.264 show
Thanks! :)

·
Super Moderator
59,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #663 ·
Let me test it out and make sure it works as expected. I'll get back to you and let you know what to set.

Oh FYI, my version doesn't actually use tivodecode. The warning is coming from code that checks for it that I haven't removed yet. But it's not needed at all

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,554 Posts
Let me test it out and make sure it works as expected. I'll get back to you and let you know what to set...
Should I stay up and wait, or go watch TV and work on this tomorrow?
...Oh FYI, my version doesn't actually use tivodecode. The warning is coming from code that checks for it that I haven't removed yet. But it's not needed at all
Just reporting what I saw. How many other PyTiVo Desktop users are giving you the kind of immediate feedback that I am?

Wouldn't it be a 'hoot ' if the SHELL32.DLL in Windows6.0-KB971029-x86.msu had the Shell_NotifyIconGetRect entry point? I don't know how to do a 'Text Search' inside a 4K .MSU file...

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,554 Posts
Let me test it out and make sure it works as expected. I'll get back to you and let you know what to set.

Oh FYI, my version doesn't actually use tivodecode. The warning is coming from code that checks for it that I haven't removed yet. But it's not needed at all
Should I stay up and wait, or go watch TV and work on this tomorrow?
Just reporting what I saw. How many other PyTiVo Desktop users are giving you the kind of immediate feedback that I am?

Wouldn't it be a 'hoot ' if the SHELL32.DLL in Windows6.0-KB971029-x86.msu had the Shell_NotifyIconGetRect entry point? I don't know how to do a 'Text Search' inside a 4K .MSU file...
One hour of waiting for Dan down (biting my nails to the quick)...
I don't mind helping you out with the testing - just share the PARAMETERs (*WITHOUT* documentation) and I'll gladly 'give-it-a-shot '.
The 'suspense ' is killing me (and you *KNOW* that I have a heart condition!) - "0x47 every 188 bytes"...
UPDATE: *GREAT* - you were just here 3 minutes ago! I'll keep watching (and waiting)...

·
It'll be fine....
4,159 Posts
I don't mind helping you out with the testing - just share the PARAMETERs (*WITHOUT* documentation) and I'll gladly 'give-it-a-shot '.
The 'suspense ' is killing me (and you *KNOW* that I have a heart condition!) - "0x47 every 188 bytes"...
UPDATE: *GREAT* - you were just here 3 minutes ago! I'll keep watching (and waiting)...
Damn good thing I am not writing this software!

·
Super Moderator
59,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #668 ·
Sorry I'm not at home right now (pool league) and I don't remember the exact names of the parameters off the top of my head. I probably wont be home until Midnight or so.

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,554 Posts
Sorry I'm not at home right now (pool league) and I don't remember the exact names of the parameters off the top of my head. I probably wont be home until Midnight or so.
Thanks for the update! :)

If I can stay awake (again) until ~3AM EDT / ~0AM PDT, I'll be sure to give the PARAMETERs a go.
It's already 2AM EDT, so what's one more hour - looking forward to it...

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I tested it myself on 7 and 10, I didn't think people were even still using Vista.
Few are--most of those people are using XP. ;)

This does raise a point, though, Dan, especially for newer-comers to your "little experiment" and to pyTivo: it's starting to feel like it might be worthwhile to have a (brief--that's really all that's needed) Wiki page/page at the website explaining pyTivo Desktop: e.g. how to install/set it up and the options, operations features, and what some of the more not-actually-intuitive (at least, for some of us) settings are (including the defaults, for those of us who might have changed them and might be advised to go back. ;) ). In the end, probably not much more than the salient points here, but without all the verbiage. Even little things like clicking on a show in pyTivo Desktop's show list, to get the details about the show (a wonderful feature)--so features and options don't get lost/overlooked.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
Hey Dan, I want to stress how impressed I am with all the work and updates you have put into this great tool. And how grateful most of us are for all the amazing work you have done on something we get for free. In fact, I am so impressed with all the free work you have done, I am actually hesitant to "complain" about stuff that is not working! But since I suspect you would rather know about issues than jsut have us ignore them, here are my comments on the newest version:

I downloaded 1.6.2 this morning and tried installing it as a service. Although the install "generally" went smoothly, it was a minor irritant that the install dialog did not remember the MAK and video share files I had previously used. But I figured that was maybe reasonable, since this was being set up as a service now. But then after the install finished, it still did not have the MAK and share folder that it had forced me to enter again? Oh well . . .

After I had re-entered that stuff and gone through the various options, I tested a video upload from one Bolt - worked fine. But then I found that none of my Bolts showed the pc video share for me to pull stuff back down. Tried a number of things, but never did get this sorted. I finally just re-installed 1.6.2 NOT as a service, and it looks fine again.

One last note - while I was trying to use it as a service, pyTiVo never seemed to restart successfully - I always had to use the tray icon to manually start it again after it said it was doing the restart from any option changes.

·
Super Moderator
59,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #675 ·
For most people the normal way is fine. Services have some trade offs. They run when Windows boots, before anyone logs in, so they're good for headless systems. However they have limitations when it comes to permissions which can cause issues. As for the MAK and shares.... the regular way stores your conf file in /Users/<name>/AppData/Roaming/pyTivo. The service does not have access to that directory so it stores the conf in ProgramData/pyTivo instead. The installer decides the conf file location based on whether the service option is checked or not, so the first time you set it up as the opposite system you have to reenter everything.

·
Super Moderator
59,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #676 ·
Thanks, once again, for the courtesy of the update.

I kept awake, replying to posts on other forums (killing time) so @ 4:50AM EDT, I guess I'll go grab some dinner and watch some TV...
Here are the options, they go in the Server section of the conf file....

togo_ts_error_mode = ignore [best | reject]
togo_ts_max_retries = 5 [any positive number]

I have not had a chance to try it using the web UI, but it should work. I'm doing all the checking and retry stuff on the pyTivo side of the code, so it shouldn't require Desktop.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I recently "reset" my Windows 10 computer and had to setup pyTivo again. I found this thread and installed pyTivo Desktop and I'm very happy with the ease of installation and the UI. Thanks Dan!

I have a problem that may be user error or a bug, I'm not sure.

I can pull to my TiVos any show that pyTivo says needs to be transcoded (avi, flv, mkv, mp4, ts containers), but not shows that pyTivo says don't need to be transcoded (mpg containers).

Is there anything I should do? Is there a setting I need to change?

I was able to transfer mpg containers with my old installation of pyTivo.

I've attached the relevant portion of my log.

Code:
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:ffmpeg output=ffmpeg version N-79000-g66edd86 Copyright (c) 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers

built with gcc 5.3.0 (GCC)

configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --disable-w32threads --enable-avisynth --enable-bzlib --enable-fontconfig --enable-frei0r --enable-gnutls --enable-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libdcadec --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libilbc --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmfx --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-libzimg --enable-lzma --enable-decklink --enable-zlib

libavutil      55. 19.100 / 55. 19.100

libavcodec     57. 28.100 / 57. 28.100

libavformat    57. 28.100 / 57. 28.100

libavdevice    57.  0.101 / 57.  0.101

libavfilter     6. 39.102 /  6. 39.102

libswscale      4.  0.100 /  4.  0.100

libswresample   2.  0.101 /  2.  0.101

libpostproc    54.  0.100 / 54.  0.100

Input #0, mpeg, from 'G:\Video\TV Shows\30 Rock\Season 06\30 Rock-S06E05-Today You Are a Man.mpg':

Duration: 00:21:11.87, start: 0.233367, bitrate: 9762 kb/s

Stream #0:0[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg2video (Main), yuv420p(tv), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], Closed Captions, max. 12663 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 59.94 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc

Stream #0:1[0x80]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 384 kb/s

At least one output file must be specified

DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:Bug in VideoReDo
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:aFreq=48000; aCh=6; container=mpeg; kbps=9762; mapAudio=[('0:1', '[0x80] ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 384 kb/s\r')]; vHeight=1080; vCodec=mpeg2video; Supported=True; aKbps=384; par=None; millisecs=1271870; vFps=59.94; par2=None; par1=None; mapVideo=0:0; vWidth=1920; dar1=16:9; rawmeta={}; aCodec=ac3
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:CACHE HIT! G:\Video\TV Shows\30 Rock\Season 06\30 Rock-S06E05-Today You Are a Man.mpg
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:CACHE HIT! G:\Video\TV Shows\30 Rock\Season 06\30 Rock-S06E05-Today You Are a Man.mpg
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=NO, all compatible, G:\Video\TV Shows\30 Rock\Season 06\30 Rock-S06E05-Today You Are a Man.mpg
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=NO, all compatible, G:\Video\TV Shows\30 Rock\Season 06\30 Rock-S06E05-Today You Are a Man.mpg
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.15.239 [16/May/2017 19:53:39] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=TV%20Shows%2F30%20Rock%2FSeason%2006&SortOrder=!CaptureDate&ItemCount=1&AnchorItem=%2FTV%2520Shows%2F30%2520Rock%2FSeason%252006%2F30%2520Rock-S06E05-Today%2520You%2520Are%2520a%2520Man.mpg&AnchorOffset=-1&Filter=x-tivo-container%2Ftivo-videos,x-tivo-container%2Ffolder,video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg,video%2F*&SerialNum=8490001902A8A0C HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.15.239 [16/May/2017 19:53:39] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=TVBusQuery&Container=TV%20Shows&File=%2F30%20Rock%2FSeason%2006%2F30%20Rock-S06E05-Today%20You%20Are%20a%20Man.mpg&SerialNum=8490001902A8A0C HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xba in position 3: invalid start byte

·
2,342 Posts
For most people the normal way is fine. Services have some trade offs. They run when Windows boots, before anyone logs in, so they're good for headless systems. However they have limitations when it comes to permissions which can cause issues. As for the MAK and shares.... the regular way stores your conf file in /Users/<name>/AppData/Roaming/pyTivo. The service does not have access to that directory so it stores the conf in ProgramData/pyTivo instead. The installer decides the conf file location based on whether the service option is checked or not, so the first time you set it up as the opposite system you have to reenter everything.
FYI: I updated from 1.6.1 to 1.6.2 and selected "run as service" and have the same issues as others. Server icon disappeared off TiVos. I plan to uninstall and try again without "run as service."

661 - 680 of 2630 Posts