TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Dan, to report an error message during the installation of v1.5.8 today (did not happen with v1.5.7 previously):
tivomak.exe - System Error

The program can't start because mfc140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
Was accompanied by a blank DOS box, captioned: C:\Program Files (x86)\pyTivo\dshow\tivomak.exe.

Occurred both during an install over the prior version as well as a fresh install.

I simply ignored it, closed the windows, and finished the install. The program version seems to be working as the last version had.

Any issue here/anything I should be doing?

On a Windows 10 system.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Ahh crap. Ok I know what that is. I thought I linked to MFC statically so that wouldn't happen, but I must have forgot to change the setting for the release build. I'll fix it and upload a new build tomorrow or monday.

That program only effects the DirectShow filter, not the rest of the program, so it's safe to keep using.
Always good when it's a simple thing, isn't it? ;)

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Dan, what is the pyTivo Desktop default Network/Beacon setting--selected/checked? (I thought the default was unchecked, but after installing the pyTivo 1.5.10 version just now, I found Beacon checked; but I may have done that earlier.) What's the difference/practical effect between the 2 routes, and any advantage/disadvantage/recommendation between the 2?

Also, just to report, no install issue with the new version (as there had been with the .8 version earlier).

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
To be honest I'm not quite sure what the listen option is used for. The help in the main UI doesn't explain it very well. Although I'm pretty sure the whole beacon option is unnecessary when zeroconf is turned on. I'm pretty sure it only pertains to the old style TiVo beacon protocol.
Thanks, and for making me feel more competent (or, rather, less incompetent). ;)

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I upgraded to latest version and can't get anything to transfer to PC now, it worked fine in earlier versions.
Exit out of the whole thing, and check the task manager to make sure all processes are gone.
Just as a data-point: installed the latest version over one of the recent, earlier versions yesterday, and generally have had no issue in downloading from TiVo to PC yesterday/today, PS mode. The only glitch: one or two metadata files were not produced (I have the metadata file option switched on)--but this occasionally occurred with earlier versions as well.

edit/update: After 11 shows downloaded, a stall between shows--downloading wouldn't start no matter what I did, and so re-started PC and pyTivo from scratch, and now the same situation as omahajs points out above: when I select a show for download, it shows up in the queue but sits there showing 0 bytes downloaded. Dan, did as you recommended and no error message appears in the DOS window.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Dan, a suggestion: right now, if an entire folder is marked to be download to one's PC, pyTivo doesn't seem to do the folder's files in any specific date order. Would be handy if it would proceed earliest-to-latest, for tracking and reference purposes. (This can be accomplished manually, by clicking the downloads one-by-one.)

Nothing major, needless-to-say--just a thought.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Exit out of the whole thing, and check the task manager to make sure all processes are gone. Then go to the install folder and launch the pytivo.exe manually. That will show a console window. Now go into the desktop folder and launch pyTivoDesktop.exe. Make sure you can see the console window and then try to queue a transfer. Does it print an error of any kind? If so can you copy/paste it here so I can see what it is?
Dan, don't know if you saw my update to Post 401--my attempts to initiate new downloads also sit queued and stall at 0 bytes. I did further searching in the DOS status window and found the following error message further up (after the download was initiated by me):
Unhandled exception in thread started by <unbound method ToGo.process_queue>
INFO: pyTivo:127.0.0.1 [21/Apr/2017 20:28:28] "POST /TiVoConnect HTTP/1.1" 200 -
ERROR: pyTivo:Exception in pyTivo
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugins\togo\togo.py", line 623, in process_queue
File "plugins\togo\togo.py", line 522, in get_tivo_file
File "plugins\togo\togo.py", line 436, in get_out_file
KeyError: 'episodeTitle'
Hope this helps and that this is the info. you wanted. All was fine earlier today with a queued list, until a stall well into the list.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Cool, glad I can help in my ignorance. ;)

I'm sure you'll know the reason why, but odd that pyTivo worked fine on my queue of shows throughout the day and only crudded out as it got towards the end of the list in the late afternoon.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Got it, and that makes sense: in my queue, the hang-up occurred with the first show in my list that wasn't a series episode--it was a one-off TV special. And when I tried to troubleshoot the issue, I went to the next show in my list, which was a movie.

Aren't consistency and logic great?

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Cool, Dan; confirmed that it's working well. :)

And a nice idea to have the video share set up (optionally) as part of the installation process--one less thing for users to have to be concerned with, especially those new to the pyTivo world who might ask, "Just what the heck is this thing called a 'video share'?"

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Dan, possible suggestion: if possible/easy enough to do, addition to pyTivo Desktop of a "do not let PC go to sleep" option during downloads/uploads.

With my PC, I've found that if I'm not actively using it while pyTivo is doing a queue of downloads, the PC can go to sleep, stalling the downloading. I avoid this generally (with pyTivo and other programs) by running a small utility in the background to keep the PC from sleeping (I use Caffeine), but sometimes will forget to start it.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I had to change my security settings to allow running an installation program from an unknown author. I started downloading 2 shows from my Roamio Basic before I left fo work.
Simply as a data point, this appears to be similar to the precautions in the Win10 installation process--an installation warning box pops up and one needs to click on a very de-emphasized "More info" link to get to an option to run the program.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I was about to post about this too. I have 1.5.11 installed, it's asking about 1.5.12. I hit "No", since I don't want to update at the moment, and the box keeps popping up again, prompting me to update. I've hit No a bunch of times, just to see if it would stop asking after a few, and it keeps coming back. Hopefully it can be tweaked to wait a day, etc, before asking again.
Or, perhaps better, it will only ask once and then leave the user alone absent a new version coming out--pushy program. ;)

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
There is definitely something wrong with the auto update feature. I just ran into the same issue with it just popping up the dialog over and over and not allowing me to dismiss it.

I need to figure out a good way to test it without annoying you guys though.
The good news, though, in the interim: while the box may be there, pyTivo Desktop still is useable and other windows will go over the message box.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Dan, a question: does the pyTivo tray app/background process consume any real amount of resources when pyTivo is not actively downloading/uploading? The reason I ask is, after years of programs "graciously" loading themselves into the background and clogging my PC's, I've gotten into the habit of stopping them from background-loading unless I'm actively using them, with an exception for some utilities that need a "watchful" state.

21 - 40 of 111 Posts