TiVo Community Forum banner
461 - 480 of 2640 Posts

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
Dan, a question: does the pyTivo tray app/background process consume any real amount of resources when pyTivo is not actively downloading/uploading? The reason I ask is, after years of programs "graciously" loading themselves into the background and clogging my PC's, I've gotten into the habit of stopping them from background-loading unless I'm actively using them, with an exception for some utilities that need a "watchful" state.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If I transfer a recording from TiVo A to the PC using pyTivo, and then transfer that recording to TiVo B, where both TiVos have the same MAK, do I need to decrypt?

I ask because, on the second transfer, I get the blue circle showing on the TiVo for about a minute, then it goes away. The transfer fails with something like "the show was not downloaded ... because it exceeded the expected size".

If decryption is not needed on the initial transfer via pyTivo, can you suggest what might be going on? TiVo A is a Premier XL4, TiVo B is a Roamio Pro. Both are on MoCA, and the PC is on ethernet, running Windows 10.

This is a very promising looking program, thanks for doing this!

Mike

Edit: PS - file size is "roughly" 2GB, but it's an NTFS filesystem, so I don't think that's the culprit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for creating this program. I have been happily using KMTTG and pyTiVo on my Mac for years. I've been experimenting with the new Mac version 1.5.12 and want to report some weirdness. I'm using multiple shares spread out over several hard drives. When I fire up the new pyTiVo, I see the shares on the "My Shows" list on all three TiVos on my network. It all works - pulling shows from the shares to the TiVo, or downloading shows back to the computer.

The problem happens when I try to shut down the new pyTiVo. I'm not talking about the GUI interface pyTiVoDesktop, but pyTiVo itself. Sometimes I see a little pyTiVo icon on my top menu bar on the right that is a dropdown menu that allows me properly shut pyTiVo down. However, usually I don't see the icon. I can kind of get it to quit if I close the terminal window.

But this creates more weirdness. After quitting pyTiVo, the shares listed on My Shows are still listed even though pyTiVo is not running. The shares have no shows in them. This is true for all three TiVos on my network. The shares will stay listed for hours, even if I turn my computer off.

I found that the way to get rid of the share listing is to launch the old pyTiVo, then shut down from its web interface. Another way to get rid of the shares is to restart the TiVo itself.

As you can see, I'm not a technical guy, but I thought I should report this. I'm using a MacBook Pro, with Sierra 10.12.4.

·
Super Moderator
55,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
Dan, a question: does the pyTivo tray app/background process consume any real amount of resources when pyTivo is not actively downloading/uploading? The reason I ask is, after years of programs "graciously" loading themselves into the background and clogging my PC's, I've gotten into the habit of stopping them from background-loading unless I'm actively using them, with an exception for some utilities that need a "watchful" state.
The tray app is pretty simple, so if you stop pyTivo but leave the tray app running the resource usage should be minimal. I'm not 100% sure how much it would consume if you left pyTivo running. I can't imagine it would be very much, but I haven't measured it.

·
Super Moderator
55,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #466 ·
If I transfer a recording from TiVo A to the PC using pyTivo, and then transfer that recording to TiVo B, where both TiVos have the same MAK, do I need to decrypt?

I ask because, on the second transfer, I get the blue circle showing on the TiVo for about a minute, then it goes away. The transfer fails with something like "the show was not downloaded ... because it exceeded the expected size".

If decryption is not needed on the initial transfer via pyTivo, can you suggest what might be going on? TiVo A is a Premier XL4, TiVo B is a Roamio Pro. Both are on MoCA, and the PC is on ethernet, running Windows 10.

Mike

Edit: PS - file size is "roughly" 2GB, but it's an NTFS filesystem, so I don't think that's the culprit.
No it doesn't need to be decrypted. I'm not sure why you'd have that issue. I've seen people post about getting that error from TiVo Desktop before, but not pyTivo. Are you still running TiVo Desktop? Maybe it's conflicting in some way?

·
Super Moderator
55,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #467 ·
Thanks for creating this program. I have been happily using KMTTG and pyTiVo on my Mac for years. I've been experimenting with the new Mac version 1.5.12 and want to report some weirdness. I'm using multiple shares spread out over several hard drives. When I fire up the new pyTiVo, I see the shares on the "My Shows" list on all three TiVos on my network. It all works - pulling shows from the shares to the TiVo, or downloading shows back to the computer.

The problem happens when I try to shut down the new pyTiVo. I'm not talking about the GUI interface pyTiVoDesktop, but pyTiVo itself. Sometimes I see a little pyTiVo icon on my top menu bar on the right that is a dropdown menu that allows me properly shut pyTiVo down. However, usually I don't see the icon. I can kind of get it to quit if I close the terminal window.

But this creates more weirdness. After quitting pyTiVo, the shares listed on My Shows are still listed even though pyTiVo is not running. The shares have no shows in them. This is true for all three TiVos on my network. The shares will stay listed for hours, even if I turn my computer off.

I found that the way to get rid of the share listing is to launch the old pyTiVo, then shut down from its web interface. Another way to get rid of the shares is to restart the TiVo itself.

As you can see, I'm not a technical guy, but I thought I should report this. I'm using a MacBook Pro, with Sierra 10.12.4.
You shouldn't have a terminal window. Are you manually launching pyTivo? You shouldn't. You should run pyTivoTray, that will launch a hidden version of pyTivo.

Maybe I should bundle the app different for the Mac. I could hide the pyTivo executable inside the pyTivoTray app. I did it the way it is now because that's how it is on the PC, but on the PC the exes are a bit more obscured from the user.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You shouldn't have a terminal window. Are you manually launching pyTivo? You shouldn't. You should run pyTivoTray, that will launch a hidden version of pyTivo.

Maybe I should bundle the app different for the Mac. I could hide the pyTivo executable inside the pyTivoTray app. I did it the way it is now because that's how it is on the PC, but on the PC the exes are a bit more obscured from the user.
Dan, thanks. That was the missing piece of info. If I launch the via Tray, the weirdness goes away. I agree that you should probably hide the pyTiVo executable inside the pyTiVoTray so nobody does what I did.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,736 Posts

Mike

This is the exact error I reported in this thread a few days ago (see post #384 & 386). As far as i could tell with my initial testing, the problem is specifically caused by using the TS format for transfers. When I turned that off, I quit getting the errors when I did the second transfer to bring a program down to "TiVoB". All of my testing was done between two Bolts, with pyTiVo running on W10.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
Am new to understanding TS and PS modes. In copying some shows over from my Series 2 with pyTivo, it appears that they are copied over as PS regardless of how the TS/PS setting is set under pyTivo Desktop--setting to TS, the shows still transfer as PS. Are Series 2 recordings only available as PS? (And, I'm just curious, why, if that's the case?) Thanks--

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
This is the exact error I reported in this thread a few days ago (see post #384 & 386). As far as i could tell with my initial testing, the problem is specifically caused by using the TS format for transfers. When I turned that off, I quit getting the errors when I did the second transfer to bring a program down to "TiVoB". All of my testing was done between two Bolts, with pyTiVo running on W10.
I just did some limited testing and I had the same error when trying to pull a TS .tivo MPEG2 recording to a Roamio. An H.264 recording worked fine. This is with pyTivo TOP(the original program). I hadn't noticed before because I decrpyt, edit and convert everything to H.264 in either mkv(if source is MPEG2) or mp4(if source is H.264).

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,736 Posts
Am new to understanding TS and PS modes. In copying some shows over from my Series 2 with pyTivo, it appears that they are copied over as PS regardless of how the TS/PS setting is set under pyTivo Desktop--setting to TS, the shows still transfer as PS. Are Series 2 recordings only available as PS? (And, I'm just curious, why, if that's the case?) Thanks--
I believe (not sure, but Dan will correct misinformation if I am wrong) that the TS transfer method is only supported in series 4 and higher TiVos. In the TiVo Desktop software, they do not even call it TS, but there is a setting that you can select to use the fastest transport mode, and that is for TS. Another point of interest is that the TiVo Desktop software does not seem to indicate on the uploaded files what mode was used (no TS or PS in the file name), so that is a really nice feature of this pyTiVo. Now, if only the TS mode didn't screw everything up!

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,736 Posts
I hadn't noticed before because I decrpyt, edit and convert everything to H.264 in either mkv(if source is MPEG2) or mp4(if source is H.264).
Like you, I virtually never just copy an original un-edited TiVo file back down from my computer to a TiVo box - they are all edited with VideoReDo or TME and archived to either HDDs or burned to AVCHD/Blu-ray discs.

But I was thinking about doing some "temporary" archiving of some programs I eventually wanted to watch, but not really save for long-term, and I thought that maybe using an external drive with pyTiVo might make that easy. But if I can't trust being able to copy them back down for eventual watching, there is absolutely no point to even trying it.

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
Yes, TS is only available on S4 or later. Which is why you cannot transfer an H.264 recording directly from a THD to a computer. It probably at least part of the reason why the TD option is "Use the fastest method available when transferring files from my TiVo DVR".

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
This is where Windows tools like Task Manager, Resource Monitor, MSConfig come in handy.

When I installed my Brother AIO Inkjet printer, a LOT of extra BS got installed. Coming up the ranks all the way from Epson Dot Matrix (well, to be honest, my *FIRST* printer was an old 150+ lb teletype machine; 300 baud RS-232, rubber ink wheel, spinning print wheel w/ CAPS ONLY, connected to my Netronics Super Elf II Computer Kit w/ RCA COSMAC 1802 processor, 256 BYTES of static RAM, hex keypad for input, Red 7-segment LEDs for Address and Data Bus) to my first AIO, I figured that I'd just let it install everything to get a 'feel' for what it could do. Well, it installed many 'accessories' that I never even touched, so when the print driver somehow failed and I needed to uninstall / re-install, I attempted to restore just what I used. Something called Nuance PaperPort I didn't want, *BUT* every so often it appears in my Task Manager as running - no tray icon, no shortcut, no program sub-directory anymore, *BUT* it's still randomly running. Task Manager gave me a program name (which I re-named) and I think that I've solved it. It was a PITA.

Besides MSConfig, the Registry also has an area for starting up programs (I can only remember RunOnce now; it's next to that...); and then there's also Task Scheduler.

BOTTOM LINE: Do a CNTL-ALT-DEL, start Task Manager and keep an eye on things for a while...

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts

Mike

1. Decrypt: No
  2. Are you using TS format to transfer from TiVo-to-PC?
    - if yes, that's one of the 'gifts' / surprises with TS; it don't display an error when it's transferring the file, like PS does so you can re-do the transfer while you still have the original show on your TiVo. NO, it waits days / weeks / months / YEARS later when you try to transfer the program back to view it to give you the old error. Try switching to PS for your future transfers.
P.S. You'll find *LOTS* of discussion on this "TS vs PS" topic...

·
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!
1,408 Posts
No it doesn't need to be decrypted. I'm not sure why you'd have that issue. I've seen people post about getting that error from TiVo Desktop before, but not pyTivo. Are you still running TiVo Desktop? Maybe it's conflicting in some way?
It's not the tool used (kmttg vs TiVo Desktop vs HTTPS://TiVo IP), it's the transfer method selected: TS (faster but 'hidden' errors) vs PS (slower but 'immediate' errors).

461 - 480 of 2640 Posts